PDA

View Full Version : High resolution renderings - anyone ??

ingo
01-15-2004, 01:44 AM
Hi all, since i have some heavy problems with getting a high resolution rendering done ( 7500x4200; file saved is zero k; or LW don't want to start rendering) i'd like to know if there are others that render in that high resolution. And if yes if there are some tips and tricks to avoid those nasty memory problems.

Zafar Iqbal
01-15-2004, 02:07 AM
Hi,

You should split your framesize into several smaller ones using Limited Region.

There are plugins just for this purpose - do a search in Flay.com

ingo
01-15-2004, 02:28 AM
Well, actually that doesn't helped. It needs the same amount of memory like rendering the complete picture.

riki
01-15-2004, 03:24 AM
Try respower.com they have a cool split render feature that lets you split the image up into say 40 segments and then use autostitcher at the end.

Jaffro
01-15-2004, 04:52 AM
It can be done without splitting i'd say. I've done 16000x9000 images ok. have to make sure as much as possible is turned off that isn't needed (displaying image while rendering, image viewer, viper...) save straight away using save scene F10 on one frame (start and end of whatever frame you want to render), dont do an F9, try increasing segment memory too. if that dont work then segment it using one of them plugins

ingo
01-15-2004, 11:23 AM
Segment memory, some say make it low, some say make it high, whats the best for high resolution renderings ?

lunarcamel
01-15-2004, 02:57 PM
Ive done this as well - have I said this before? :) I dont remember hehe anyway I set it very low - like 5 megs and it worked great for a 16000x9000 render.

Jaffro
01-15-2004, 05:06 PM
I think lower is better actually (ignore what i said last time about increasing it) espically if lw's having trouble even starting to render.

I'm tempted to say to put the segment memory to about half your system ram, so if you got 512 put it on 200, if you got 1g put it on 500. But tbh i haven't got a clue why i say that!

pixelinfected
01-15-2004, 07:51 PM
lw segment memory limits it's max memory stack which lw use during rendering.

if you apply low value, lw split render in different slice, and need more time to render and sampling.

If you apply an high value lw render in one pass the image, but sometime is not a good thing.

if you setup a value higher than lw need, it use only memory which it need, not lock or waste more memory than it need.

better setup is different from ram and kind of images.

remember that, when lw start render, it build an area in memory where put all pixel of images, which is indipendent from segment memory limits, than with segmented memory limits build other area of memory where put temp render data.

to understand what is your best value is test the scene like that :

load scene, setup segmented memory like 50 mb, try to render with f9, if it start add 50mb to value, and retry, do that until you arrive when lw not start be cause it cannot build buffer.

then setup in output where save the image, and choose like format FLX

then render frame 1 to 1 with F10.

i prefer to use FLX format be cause is more powerful and flexible (sorry for the word playing).

FLX is implemented in lw code, is not a plugin, and save all info at 128bit precision.
you not risk to fail the saving be cause it not need to be loaded like plugin, if you want to modify you can rexpose directly from lw without render.

to convert and rexpose it you can load from image editor, double clik on image and you can save like one format supported by lw, or you can go in image control of Window and try to chage the exposition to correct the images.

i hope that clear you dubs and help you in big render.

p.s. splitting with frenchware splitrender is a good solution to optimize render and do it in a more fast and sicure way.

if you render many strip by many lw scene you are sicure that you finish and save ones part at time, and not risk to lost all work if at end of render something go wrong, and if you have many computer you can split the work on different cpu.