PDA

View Full Version : 500x500 ?

paintboy
02-10-2003, 06:32 AM
OK is it just me....love the new boards , major improvement.....but
who set the 500x 500 limit in of all places, the posting gallery?
imean i understand the need to limit file sizes, but this is just too durn small to see any detail guys.
how about 1024x 1024 maybe.....just a thought

Skonk
02-10-2003, 07:11 AM
I agree.

philip
02-10-2003, 07:31 AM
yep, 500x500 really is a wee bit small, especially for a gallery board.

Alec Trevelyan
02-10-2003, 11:35 AM
they haven't figured out how to allow images to expand individual posts without stretching the NewTek banner at the top of each page;)

Chimera
02-10-2003, 11:40 AM
You might get a hold of this guy: Rodzilla, over at the Serious Sam forums: http://forums.seriouscommunity.com/

He runs the show over there, and I'm pretty sure they use vBulletin and their forum will stretch to whatever size your browser is.

Alec Trevelyan
02-10-2003, 11:42 AM
you could also contact the admins at www.scifi-meshes.com/forums or www.lwg3d.org/forums/

paintboy
02-10-2003, 11:52 AM
Ok, makes sense.....kinda...i still dont understand
though(idiot) because when i click on an attached image post
it pops a new window open just for the image anyway same size as the browser window , which in my case which is rather large22"flatpanel(and the newtek banner isnt on that page) so i get a teeny weenie picture and acres of white?

Alec Trevelyan
02-10-2003, 12:19 PM
that's because the pic in the new window has nothing to do with the forums, so it doesn't have the newtek banner on it;)

paintboy
02-10-2003, 01:36 PM
so why does the size matter, sorry just trying to understand?

TerryFord
02-10-2003, 02:04 PM
I'd like to add my vote for a change in the image size limit.

paintboy: it's possible to include inline images in vbulletin messages, so that they appear with your text (much better than having to click a link). The size limit applies to these inline images.

Regards,
Terry

paintboy
02-10-2003, 02:34 PM
Terry, i suppose i am going to come off as a dolt,
but i still do not understand the difference between inline image
and the attach function...
when i clik the img button, my browser request an http link
(i had assumed, one must publish to server space somewhere)
so i had attached the files(are these still considered inline?) , which are still limited to 500x500,
if you try any larger you get bumped out?
sorry, not very web savy,maybe i'll catch on someday...
then again maybe not :D

TerryFord
02-10-2003, 03:38 PM
Hmm, I'm no expert, I'm just going from my experience of the CGtalk board. Big attachment (larger than 500x500) baulks.

Testing...

Inline?
http://www.terryf.dsl.pipex.com/gif/test1.jpg

TerryFord
02-10-2003, 03:43 PM
Akk! Image not showing up in the message. :confused:

Obviously the board is configured differently to the CGtalk setup. Early days I suppose, but it would be nice to see a fix to show the images in the messages.

Test 2; big IMG (remote hosted)
http://www.terryf.dsl.pipex.com/gif/test2.jpg

Works ok. I suppose the 500x500 limit is because attachments are hosted locally (on the newtek site) but IMGs can be any size because they're hosted elsewhere (usually on the posters ISP web space).

Regards,
Terry

paintboy
02-10-2003, 04:00 PM
thanks terry.
i guess if i want anybody to see anything of any size
i better crank up golive and park it on my space.
seems a bit round the way,(although i always thought most folks on the old board were generally pretty concious about file sizes) but if thats the way it is...thats the way it is!
like you said , its early yet, perhaps things will adjust.

riki
02-10-2003, 06:12 PM
Yes 500 is definately too small, I tried to post a screenshot of a lightwave menu and couldn't becuase it exceeded the limit. Some people have been linking to external image files but this creates archival problems. Also I don't like the anti leeching PHP script which is designed to stop people from downloading images.

MGuerra
02-11-2003, 08:36 AM
Ok, here's the deal. We can basically configure this board however you guys want. Here are the different options along with their pros and cons.

#1: Images can be displayed within the thread and can be any size.
Pros: You can see the images immediately.
Cons: Images larger than 500x500px will distort the layout of the entire form page (it will stretch the page horizontally). This is more of an aesthetic issue than anything.

#2: Images can be inserted as a link within the thread that will open in a new window. The image can be any size.
Pros: The layout of the forum remains in tact. You can post any sized image.
Cons: You have to click a link to view the image.

#3: No images are allowed.
Pros: None
Cons: Hmmm, well, this is obvious...

You guys tell me how you want it set up and I'll make it work. Personally, #2 is the best solution for me, but then I'm not the one posting images here. Whatever you want, you shall have...

Chimera
02-11-2003, 08:44 AM
The drawback I see about option #2 is that it takes more work to actaully go and view the images. I know it sounds funny, but if you want feedback on your work I, personally, would want to make it as easy as possible for people to access it.

My $0.02

riki
02-11-2003, 08:59 AM
Yes I agree I think Number 1 is the best option, when I check the forums I generally open several threads at once (BTW I'm on a 56k connection) and I'll be away from the computer waiting for things to download.

Also is there away to stop the anti-leeching PHP script that stopping Users from downloading images? I'm on a Mac OS9 with IE 5 and whenever I try to download a ZIP file, image or Movie I keep getting file = attachment.php

MGuerra
02-11-2003, 09:25 AM
Hey riki,

I'm not sure what you mean about downloading images. I wasn't aware that there was any type of "anti-leech" involved here. Can you give me an example link to check out?

Thanks...

paintboy
02-11-2003, 09:36 AM
i ran into this yesterday trying to view the "my M41 bulldog tank"
thread.
Running on MAc OSX. and IE 5.1 and IE cannot see a bmp file so i tryed to download to view in photoshop and kept getting the Attachment.php
jpegs seem "snatchable" though, as they pop to the desktop with no problem.
hope this helps...

MGuerra
02-11-2003, 09:44 AM
I see... When I try to open any of the .bmp images, it opens in a program rather than in the browser. I'll look into it and see what I can find.

TerryFord
02-11-2003, 09:59 AM
I'd like to vote for option 1 (again :)), at least for the gallery forum. I think showing the actual image with the message is better than a link.

Maybe a poll would be the best way to decide the issue...

Regards,
Terry

TerryFord
02-11-2003, 10:29 AM
... and I've taken the liberty of creating one :)

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=223

Regards,
Terry

phrick
02-11-2003, 11:00 AM
#1 sounds fine to me.

I don't want to step on anybody's toes, but is it possible to make the forum layout any wider? It's pretty narrow as it is now, don't you think?

I'm quite sure most of us have our screen resolutions set higher than 800x600 (for which the layout seems to be adapted for at the moment).

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=185

Just a thought...

MGuerra
02-11-2003, 11:15 AM
You're right, the layout is set to accomidate 800x600 users. What we'll probably end up doing is changing this for the forum only. We can set the main table to 100% so it will fill the screen for whatever resolution you're running. I will need to modify the layout some first, but I think this will probably work best.

Also, once that's done, then we can remove the image size restrictions and allow images to be viewed within the threads since it seems that's what most people want.

I don't know if this will get done today or not because my plates a bit full with other things, but I'll see what I can do to get things straightened out.

Thanks for all the feedback!

MGuerra
02-11-2003, 12:32 PM
There! How's that? Better?

No filesize or image size restrictions and a wider forum...

TerryFord
02-11-2003, 12:47 PM
Ahh, now it's too wide. ;)

Just kidding, this is better. Thanks for listening.

Regards,
Terry

riki
02-11-2003, 03:56 PM
Many thanks, yes that's much better. I think when I'm trying to download a JPG, ZIP or MOV file it trys to save the file as "attachment.php". If I change the name to something ffff.jpg (for jpg files) it seems to download fine. If I don't change the file name I get an error message, something to the effect of "unrecognisable file type". Also If I'm watching a Movie file in the popup window, the 'Save As Quicktime Movie' options have been disabled. This is strange becuase if I got to the actual source of the movie file on an external site I can download it without a problem.

Elmar Moelzer
02-11-2003, 04:21 PM
Ahh, this is just great, much more comfortable too.
Great work!
CU
Elmar

Lewis
02-11-2003, 06:27 PM
Wow this is great now :).

Thank you NewTek - nwo we can shwo our woek in full scale ;).

Chimera
02-11-2003, 08:45 PM
Most excellent. And may I say major props to you for your speedy work!

phrick
02-12-2003, 01:22 AM
You guys are the best!

Thanks!

zhutousan
02-12-2003, 04:25 AM
:)

Simon
02-13-2003, 02:15 PM
Hey thanks for that Mike, it looks great now, and thanks for getting it sorted so quickly, I'm sure it's appreciated by everyone out here :) :)

And no file size restrictions? I hope that doesn't mean the return of the dreaded 4 MB gif .... !