PDA

View Full Version : Path deform????

durden
03-09-2003, 10:20 PM
hey does anyone know how to deform an object to a path like with the serpent tool, but also to get the object to flip 360 without breaking at 90 degrees???? I find the serpent tool really basic and need to create an animation of a cord wrapping it self up. everytime I bring the cord up and over it self it breaks!:( The cord has a visible beginning and end I would love to be able to do this any help would be great????

faulknermano
03-10-2003, 12:22 AM
do you know the bone method? its like using bones as the outlying deformer while an endomorph is the deformer that moves it along the bones.

durden
03-10-2003, 06:24 AM
No I do not know the bone method, could you write some quick instruction for me? I do not know about endomorphs yet. Thanks for the tip
:) durden

faulknermano
03-10-2003, 09:01 PM
sure..

you have cord, right?

lay that cord out in layout, straight, maybe along the z-axis. then create bones for it (like a spine) all the way till the end. the more bones you have, the more precise the deformation. i recommend placing a bone at every polygon segment of your object, so that if you have 30 segments in your cord, place thirty bones).

now, how far is the cord going to travel? based on that, you have to create a more bones. think of it the bones like the tracks that a roller coaster is running on.

now the endomorph part is created in modeler. create one endomorph and move your object on the Z+ axis. this is equivalent to the 'coaster moving forward' on the 'tracks.'

in layout, you have to rotate the bones to match the flow that you originally wanted. to animate the cord, all you have to do is load morph mixer up to get access to the endomorph.

make sure that in your Bone Options panel, you have the options "Use Morphed Position" active.

Mark Dunakin had a tutorial explaining this in more detail somewhere (i dont have a link).. maybe he'll drop by... :)

durden
03-10-2003, 10:03 PM
thanx for the help I finally figured it out! It is really nice to know that people help on these forums. I will most likely create a tutorial and try to submit it to newtek with this technique because I could not find anything on the web for it...thanx again you rock!