PDA

View Full Version : Complete Mars Rover Animation

Alamovideo
01-14-2004, 03:21 PM
With Dan's permission, there is a link on my site to the Dan Maas site which has the COMPETE animation of the Rover mission. Way cool.

Http://www.gregroadruck.com

Howzat
01-14-2004, 06:37 PM
That's awesome, they've done a fantastic job.:cool:

art
01-14-2004, 08:49 PM
So, is everything (incuding rendering) done in LW or, as someone mentioned in one of these threads, it was modeled in LW and rendered using some other software?
Im just curious.
Nevertheless, its an amazing animation.

Elmar Moelzer
01-14-2004, 09:16 PM
Hmm I have seen different infos regarding this.
In an interview on cgfocus Dan Maas mentions that he rendered in LW. Some people keep saying though that he used a combination of LW5.6 and renderman.
Not sure what is true now...
CU
Elmar

mgutman
01-14-2004, 09:19 PM
Incredible job. Thanks for posting this link:)

Jure
01-15-2004, 02:17 AM
Dan explained very well how he did it on his site, worth a look:

http://www.maasdigital.com/mervideo-tech.html

handron
01-15-2004, 10:13 AM
Most 3D elements in the video were modeled, animated, and rendered with Lightwave 3DŽ 5.6. In addition I wrote some custom software for special-purpose effects such as physics simulations (e.g. bouncing airbags), rover tracks, star rendering, and translation from Lightwave to Pixar's Photorealistic RenderMan for high-quality rendering.

It seems it 2 different softwares were used. Not sure why he said he used "RenderMan for high-quality rendering". Perhaps at the time he was modeling with Lightwave 5.6 he wasn't satisfied with the renderer. I wonder how he would have felt with 7.5?

problemchild
01-15-2004, 10:18 AM
The launch sequence was at Siggraph 2002. Only Lightwave was cited as used on that piece. Second half ("seven months later") looks to have made use of a broader software base.