PDA

View Full Version : LightWave Eight Demo Videos Part 5

WilliamVaughan
01-14-2004, 11:40 AM
LightWave Eight Demo Videos

Here is the current list of videos showing off some of the exciting new features in LightWave Eight. More are on the way so stay tuned.

Note: Right Click on Link to Save the movies.

Part 1:

Cloth FX- Cloth Dynamics in action: 32.5 MB
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/ClothFx_001.avi

Hard FX- Hard Body Dynamics in Action: 62 MB
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/HardFx_001.avi

Soft FX- Soft Body Dynamics in action: 42.6 MB
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/SoftFx_001.avi

IK Boost Tool- Basic example of rigging a character with new tools:36.8 MB
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/IKB_001.avi

Part 2:

Expression Editor: 8 MB
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/expressioneditor.avi

Hard Link/ Cloth FX: 22.9 MB
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/hardlink002.avi

Part 3:

Modeler Edge Tools: 27.6
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/Modeler_edges.avi

Modeler Layers Tools: 8.17 MB
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/Modeler_layers.avi

Ik Boost Tool part 2: 18.5
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/IKboost_octo.avi

Modeler Bridge Tool and a sneak peek at In-line Help System: 43 MB
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/Bridge_Help.avi

Part 4:

Meta Link Example: 12 meg
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/metalink.avi

Save Incremental Demo: 12 meg
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/savedemo_001.avi

Intro to Dope Track: 11 Meg
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/dopetrackintro.avi

Part 5:

Hidden Line View Mode in Modeler: 5.6 meg
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/HiddenLine.avi

Texture Wire View Mode in Modeler:50 meg
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/texturewire.avi

Move TCB Tool: 8 meg
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/MoveTCB.avi

***Quicktime Versions can be found here:
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/mov/

***Attention***
You will need the codec below to view these videos. When installing a new Codec it is sometimes necessary to restart your machine.

PC Codec:
http://www.techsmith.com/products/studio/codec.asp

Mac Codec:
http://www.techsmith.com/download/ensharpendecoder.asp

Mac Codec( Direct Link):
http://wcarchive.cdrom.com/pub/bws/bws_48/ensharpen_macosx.dmg

Wade
01-14-2004, 11:42 AM
:)

HowardM
01-14-2004, 12:04 PM
Proton,

Would you guys mind putting a blinking 'new' or "<---new" next to all the updated stuff such as the octopus link?
I understand you may not want that on the web, so at least here in these posts?
Otherwise its hard to tell whats new to the list.
Thanks!

And thanks for all the hard work!
:)

WilliamVaughan
01-14-2004, 12:07 PM
its the "part" That is new...Part 5 is new....next post Part 6 will be new...and so on

HowardM
01-14-2004, 12:10 PM
Sorry didnt read here, was looking at the webpage, and noticed the Octopus was new, or at least I hadnt seen it before...and thought that the website was being updated randomly, with no alert to whats new to those lists....is that correct?

Some people never read these boards and when they look at the webpage today, it will have more tomorrow, but nestled in there...
all Im asking is please make it more clear on the website, as you update it daily, what has been added?

Thanks!

aliens
01-14-2004, 12:46 PM
thx for the update :)

Dick Ma
01-14-2004, 12:59 PM
Question: Proton, about the Texture wire view mode in Modeler, is LAYOUT also got the same view function, if there is, there will be a GREAT. Or I will satisfied if there is a Texture shade view mode in Layout.

Out of Topic: Is LW8 still use the VertexPaint as weight paint tool, in the feature request I wrote about LW8 should improve the VertexPaint tool because it is buggy, or should intergrated to LW8 in early time.

Castius
01-14-2004, 01:06 PM
Dick Ma

posted by chuck
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=121818

phil lawson
01-14-2004, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the videos William. :)

Mikeface
01-14-2004, 01:20 PM
The Part 5 Quicktimes don't seem to be there...

WilliamVaughan
01-14-2004, 01:23 PM
Deuce is encoding and they should be online sometime today

jr_sunshine
01-14-2004, 01:25 PM
proton,

Thanks for the new videos. I'd like to put my vote in for a peek at the New Motion Mixer and possible a video with more details on the new IK system.

Thanks,

Mikeface
01-14-2004, 01:29 PM
Thanks Proton!

And keep it up - these videos are really whetting my appetite for LW8 :)

aliens
01-14-2004, 01:29 PM
proton, just 2 question : is there an option to have a metamesh in one viewport and the polygon cage in the others?

and is it possible to see the new uv tools in action ?

Earl
01-14-2004, 01:32 PM
Yay, more distractions from work!

CB_3D
01-14-2004, 01:33 PM
Part 6 ??? And so on??? Hey, we are waiting for a release, not for more demo videos.

Nahh, bring them on. LOL. They are a great snack while the main plate is being prepared!

BTW: With a simple white title on black background at the start and a disclaimer at the end these vids would look way better and more pro. Or a five second 3d LW logo...just a thought..

artstorm
01-14-2004, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the new videos. They are much appreciated in the wait for the release. :)

hrgiger
01-14-2004, 01:50 PM
Yes, thank you for the videos proton. They're mucho appreciated.

shermanlu
01-14-2004, 02:46 PM
Thanks Proton, Nice Videos...

I got a question for you...Since wev'e got the move TCB back to layout view port, can we use others too...such as using Bezier Spine control for the same task?

Jaffro
01-14-2004, 03:26 PM
Sweet, love these video's :) Thanks proton

SmEsh
01-14-2004, 04:08 PM
All these features are simply TOO MUCH useful :D . It's also clear that you at NT are listening what users request, and are adding them, one at time.

In my opinion the only things needed now should be a Color Selector for the Sketch color (and for the schematic view in Layout), and Bezier Spline control to modify the Path.

jeromeOlivier
01-14-2004, 06:04 PM
Proton,

One point that has been raised before is why are XYZ & TCB input areas (lower lefthand corner) only in color when they are locked off? Wouldn't it be clearer for them to be in color when they are active and greyed out when they are locked?

I'm wondering what is Newtek's thinking behind this?

Thanks!

PS
I really appreciate these videos. It gives us a head start on how to use LW[8].

GruvSyco
01-14-2004, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the video updates. I love the new hidden wire option... really sweet. If you guys could manage to get the zoom and rotate to work like wings3d now... I would be in complete lust.

SLAYER
01-14-2004, 07:18 PM
Proton,

Could you make part 6 or whatever on these items as stated in the feature list?:

"Improved Aligner, Sizer and Dangle tools"

That would be swell.

stef
01-14-2004, 07:46 PM
Would you guys mind putting a blinking 'new' or "<---new" next to all the updated stuff such as the octopus link?
I understand you may not want that on the web, so at least here in these posts?
Otherwise its hard to tell whats new to the list.

I agree it is a valid request by HowardM. Perhaps in parentheses posting date should be included on Feature List, like in tutorials?
Great videos BTW....

Tesselator
01-14-2004, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by HowardM
Sorry didnt read ....

Some people never read ....

Bookmark this link and sort the listing by date:

:) ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/

Tesselator
01-14-2004, 08:25 PM
Like:

HowardM
01-14-2004, 08:28 PM
Good idea!
But again, some LW users in the world dont read these newsgroups (I know what up wit dat!?), so NT should still alert people to whats updated by simply adding the date or 'new' next to each item on the webpage.

ikaruz
01-14-2004, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by jeromeOlivier
Proton,

One point that has been raised before is why are XYZ & TCB input areas (lower lefthand corner) only in color when they are locked off? Wouldn't it be clearer for them to be in color when they are active and greyed out when they are locked?

Good point, if you look at the videos of the interface you'll notice that anything that is pressed or has been pressed is white which would be the button's down state ie: Lights, and Pause button which you can see in the "Move TCB" video. But why would the XYZ & TCB be white by default when selecting items? I would have the XYZ & TCB turn white once I press to lock them, etc. Maybe you can add a little "lock" icon next to the locked property ie: XYZ. Below is a picture of what I mean.
http://www.haroldurquiola.com/web/lw/xyz_tcb.gif

By the way can't wait for [8] :)

WilliamVaughan
01-14-2004, 11:16 PM
they asre white since they are active. when a button is active it is white. so it "is" consistant with other buttons

Matt
01-15-2004, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by proton
they asre white since they are active. when a button is active it is white. so it "is" consistant with other buttons

Maybe so but the issue with the coloured XYZ / HPB / TCB is an important one.

The were coloured so when you moving, rotating stuff at weird angles in the viewport and 'lost' direction you could match the colours on the gadgets to the viewport handles.

The problem here is that the colours are only active when the channels are locked, so while you can see which handle relates to each gadget you can't move them.

The colours NEED to be visible when active to be useful, otherwise you may as well take the coloured text out completely as it will be a complete waste of time.

Surely NT can see that?

- - - -

On a personal note, that white hilight colour will be the first thing I change in 8! Yeuk! :)

Matt

MrWyatt
01-15-2004, 02:34 AM
maybe off topic but could you do a demo on animatable uvīs, as i have no idea to what i could use this feature. it sure sounds cool but i have trouble figuring out a case where i would need it.
:confused:

Matt
01-15-2004, 02:49 AM
The TCB feature is useful (almost how it used to work in fact!) but sliding around in the viewport can be erratic (if it's like any of the other features that work this way).

How easy would it be to put some slider gadgets on there? These would also be useful for XYZ / HPB too.

Like this:

Yog
01-15-2004, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by Matt
Maybe so but the issue with the coloured XYZ / HPB / TCB is an important one.

The were coloured so when you moving, rotating stuff at weird angles in the viewport and 'lost' direction you could match the colours on the gadgets to the viewport handles.

The problem here is that the colours are only active when the channels are locked, so while you can see which handle relates to each gadget you can't move them.

The colours NEED to be visible when active to be useful, otherwise you may as well take the coloured text out completely as it will be a complete waste of time.

Surely NT can see that?

Matt

I totally agree.
The one time you want to match the colour on the channel buttons to the transform gizmo's is when they are active.
If the Channel isn't active you don't care what the corresponding colour on the gizmo is because you can't alter it anyway.

Barred
01-15-2004, 05:09 AM
All the links to the videos seem to be down even the links from the LW8 Features page. I have been trying now for over 12 hours to get these.

Any chance of haveing the vids mirrored on Newtek Europe please.

Steve McRae
01-15-2004, 05:27 AM
. . . yes I have the same problem - I don't think the FTP server is working right now. . .

Chuck
01-15-2004, 05:34 AM
Originally posted by HowardM
Good idea!
But again, some LW users in the world dont read these newsgroups (I know what up wit dat!?), so NT should still alert people to whats updated by simply adding the date or 'new' next to each item on the webpage.

Good suggestion, Howard, and I'll pass that along to the web staff who are maintaining that page! Thanks!

Exper
01-15-2004, 05:35 AM
Barred and atomman...
downloaded a couple of hours ago... :D
maybe NT is taking some Server-maintenance!

Bye.

isnowboard
01-15-2004, 07:24 AM
The TCB feature is useful (almost how it used to work in fact!) but sliding around in the viewport can be erratic (if it's like any of the other features that work this way).

How easy would it be to put some slider gadgets on there? These would also be useful for XYZ / HPB too.

Like this:

Matt, you should gather all the little tidbits in one thread and get it all together. You make so much sense. You really hit so many details, fine details, from not only a ethestic point of view, but from a functional one as well.

I hope notes have been taken, as if Newtek is still working on ironing out the flaws, some of these don't seem to be to difficult that they couldn't be implemented, as it's really obvious that many of your suggestions should!

ikaruz
01-15-2004, 07:58 AM

Like this:
I agree Matt putting slider gadgets how you show on your pic would be a good idea and an added functionallity item.

matd
01-15-2004, 08:05 AM
seconded!

mcewan7
01-15-2004, 08:10 AM
Or instead of the sliders (that take up room) have the value be 'slidable' like on the color selectors in surface editor.

stef
01-15-2004, 08:11 AM
Matt, you should gather all the little tidbits in one thread and get it all together. You make so much sense. You really hit so many details, fine details, from not only a ethestic point of view, but from a functional one as well.

I hope notes have been taken, as if Newtek is still working on ironing out the flaws, some of these don't seem to be to difficult that they couldn't be implemented, as it's really obvious that many of your suggestions should!

NT please hire Matt 'da man', so our lives in LW will be soooo much easier. The guy is right 100/100

Exper
01-15-2004, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by stef
NT please hire Matt 'da man', so our lives in LW will be soooo much easier. The guy is right 100/100 Agree! :cool:

badllarma
01-15-2004, 09:19 AM
I totally agree with this have the ZYX, HPB and TCB all in the correct colours whether highlighted or not would make life soooo much easyer! And even at this late stage I would imagin very easy to change? :)

SmEsh
01-15-2004, 09:24 AM
I also agree with matt about the colours of the channel buttons.
Matching XYZ/HPB handles and numeric input would became a lot easier. The loss of graphical "beauty" would be widely rewarded by the added functionality.
What about opening a poll about it?

However I think that coloured letters are very difficoult to read even if you have no sight problems, especially if they are green or blue on light background. I would prefer another solution, like coloured buttons or buttons' borderline.

badllarma
01-15-2004, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by SmEsh
I would prefer another solution, like coloured buttons or buttons' borderline.

great idea :D

sire
01-15-2004, 09:56 AM
While watching the TCB vid, I wonder whether I'll ever witness Proton creating three simple demo keys whithout mentioning his great animation skills... :)

Matt
01-15-2004, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by SmEsh
However I think that coloured letters are very difficoult to read even if you have no sight problems, especially if they are green or blue on light background. I would prefer another solution, like coloured buttons or buttons' borderline.

Very true, in LW 7.5 when these buttons are active the text is in bold, in v8 it's not, couple that with the white hilight and it doesn't help aid clarity.

- - -

P.S. Adding sliders is an idea others have come up with too, so I can't take all the credit, thanks for the kind comments though! :)

Alan Daniels
01-15-2004, 11:25 AM

Great idea, Matt. :)

My own personal wish would be for Newtek to implement sliders the way they are in Paint Shop Pro. Not only do they have the up/down arrows, but they also have a mini-window that shows when you click on the "down" arrow, showing the allowable range:

http://www.alandaniels.com/images/psp_slider_demo.png

The "look" of the mini-window is different depending on what you're modifing (a raw value, saturation, hue, size, rotation, etc). A very nice touch that really helps with the workflow.

Steve McRae
01-15-2004, 11:36 AM
. . . it would be great if they implimented them like in maya where you single click in the box and then mmb drag to get the various values -

if you hold in ctrl or alt or shift while doing it it will give you various levels of control over the numeral - it allows you to save interface space . .. . . .

or something like that anyway . . . just my 2c . .

prospector
01-15-2004, 12:21 PM
whithout mentioning his great animation skills...
Hey, if ya got it, flaunt it:D

Tim Parsons
01-15-2004, 12:45 PM
What about just having the text (fonts) inputs colorized. Also having the color show up only when the buttons are deselected makes no sense at all. Also that Ctrl Z for Undo, Ctrl C, Ctrl V, etc. has to go. I choose LW because it was different, and the keyboard shortcuts make sense. Ctrl Z for Undo, give me a break. Granted we'll be able to change it in LW8 to whatever we like (I assume), but I think LW is cool because it does not follow the norm.

Sorry about the rant. I'll get back to work now.

Tim

BeeVee
01-16-2004, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by Alan Daniels
Great idea, Matt. :)

My own personal wish would be for Newtek to implement sliders the way they are in Paint Shop Pro. Not only do they have the up/down arrows, but they also have a mini-window that shows when you click on the "down" arrow, showing the allowable range:

http://www.alandaniels.com/images/psp_slider_demo.png

The "look" of the mini-window is different depending on what you're modifing (a raw value, saturation, hue, size, rotation, etc). A very nice touch that really helps with the workflow.

But those sliders in PSP are horribly imprecise! They are very hard to adjust slightly, while the up/down arrows are far too slow if you don't want to change by a few millionths of whatever you're changing...

B

colkai
01-16-2004, 02:11 AM
I think Matt has a really good idea, though I think in terms of 'consistency' having the "click-slide" function like on the colour editor fields would be neat.

Of course - how easy it would be to implement only the software team would know, if we're lucky, it's a module / function they can call. ;)

Alan Daniels
01-16-2004, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by BeeVee
But those sliders in PSP are horribly imprecise! They are very hard to adjust slightly, while the up/down arrows are far too slow if you don't want to change by a few millionths of whatever you're changing...

Ah, but that's why you use both! :D

My workflow for using these PSP controls goes like this: Use the mini-window to quickly drag to the general range I want, and then maybe use the up/down arrows to tweak the result. I can usually get away with just doing the first part, since I don't care about absolute values most of the time.

Ex: I don't really care if my brush opacity is exactly 50%; getting it anywhere between, say, 48% and 52% is usually enough. In PSP, I force myself to move quickly, like an Artist does, and not to worry about exact values, like an Engineer does (my day job, btw). And, as in PSP, I try to work in Lightwave in "artist" mode.

Then again, having both sets of widgets within the control (up/down arrows vs drop-down arrow for the mini-window) does take up more screenspace than it should. I'd like it if PSP had an option to only show the up/down arrows, and show the mini-window if I right click. In any image processing app, you're right-clicking and alt-/ctrl-/shift-/whatever-clicking all the time anyway.