PDA

View Full Version : Exporting from LW to Max ?

Tonton1
01-14-2004, 10:15 AM
I want to create a realtime CultFX object. For that I need to export the object from 3DSMax (or Maya) to Cult Designer.

Since I have access to Max 6 (but don't know anything about it),
I tried to export an object from LW using the export to 3DS function in Modeler.

The object came in alright in Max but without the maps on. When I tried to render the viewport, a message said there was a problem with the UV coordinates. I changed all my planar-projection surfaces to UV in LW, but that wasn't any better.

So, what's the correct way of exporting from LW to Max with all textures intact ? Sorry if it has already been asked.

And if there's another way to export from LW to Cult without using Max, I'll take it.

Aegis
01-14-2004, 10:18 AM
What formats does Cult support? Exporting as .OBJ is probably the best way of getting objects out of LightWave and into other packages...

Tonton1
01-14-2004, 10:23 AM
Cult only imports its own format. And there are exporters for that format only for 3DSMax and Maya.

hcoat
01-14-2004, 11:52 PM
This is really question for a 3D Max forum, but I had to export an object to 3D max and had to figure it out, so I will try to shed some light on it.
All of your textures are there. You need to select each object add the uvw map modifier. (It has nothing to do with LW's UVs) This will fix your textures and they will render fine. Keep in mind that everything that you gave a different texture in LW will come in 3D max as a separate object. If you need to adjust any textures open the material editor and select an empty slot and use the eye drop to select a texture from an object. This should get your model ready to export. If you having a hard time finding this stuff use the help menu. One last thing, stay away from max as much as possible, it sucks.

Tonton1
01-15-2004, 10:05 AM
OK Thanks, I'll try that (and to stay away from Max, too).