PDA

View Full Version : LightWave 8 OpenGL enhancements?

KOlson
01-14-2004, 09:15 AM
Two things.. Can we now see procedural textures in openGL? And does 8 now have true openGL transparency or is it still the same old "dotted" style?

Karmacop
01-14-2004, 09:27 AM
No, not that I'm aware of. Even if you could see procedural textures you'd need to have a UV map for anything realtime. They are very intensive and only DX8+ cards can do them (I think?).

Yes, as far as I know you can. The dotted alpha is called stippled alpha and was a good idea when 6 was made as it's a fast way of doing alpha and not everyone had great graphics cards back then.

Panikos
01-14-2004, 09:42 AM
There is a cheat you can do.
Create a 2x2 pixels in Photoshop with blank content. Pure Blank.
Load it into Layout and in the ImageEditor use a Process-Texture Filter. Apply a procedural texture of your choice.

In all areas that this black image will appear in OpenGL, instead the preprocessing texture will show up.

As far as the Transparent OpenGL, it reminds me of my old Amiga days with Genlock where I used this checkboard-grid to make semi-transparent keying :D
It was the cheapest/fastest implementation of OpenGL transparency Newtek could do.
Hopefully they will make it better :)

TSpyrison
01-14-2004, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Panikos
There is a cheat you can do.
Create a 2x2 pixels in Photoshop with blank content. Pure Blank.
Load it into Layout and in the ImageEditor use a Process-Texture Filter. Apply a procedural texture of your choice.

In all areas that this black image will appear in OpenGL, instead the preprocessing texture will show up.

Hopefully they will make it better :)

Couldn't they turn this into a "feature" and have it happen automaticly?

Open GL Texture preview or something?

Elmar Moelzer
01-14-2004, 11:44 AM
Has been considered in the past...
The problem is that it looks very different from what the rendering would look like(size and projection etc).
It would end up confusing users more than it would help.
I mean what use would there be for a preview of procedurals, if they dont look like the rendering?
I would not want to add useless features just because they look cool in the feature- list.
CU
Elmar

blabberlicious
01-14-2004, 04:29 PM
Just getting VIPER to render objects with UV'ed images maps & procedurals would be a good start - that's where you really need accurate display

I bet that's at number 100000 on NTs list of 'to do's'

:-)