PDA

View Full Version : Incredibly easy Firewire Install!!!

Chrysolithos
01-13-2004, 11:47 PM
I thought it would be a nice change to post some good news. I've had my share of horrible installs but today everything went super.

Yay Newtek!

I finally got around to getting a firewire card for my system. I installed the card, an Adaptec 4300 3 port pci firewire card. into a poky 1.7 gig P5 on an Asus P4T533-C with a gig of ram and only two 8 gig scsi drives in the RAID. I connected my Sony DSR-11, and turned on the computer. Booted VT3 and without doing anything else I could hear the sound from a tape playing on the deck. I had to add the deck in the Capture Module and then I could see the footage too. Then I went to Batch Capture and tested a few 10 second captures. Flawless. Video, audio, time code and control, all through one tiny cable. Thank you Newtek!!!

Question??? I don't see any audio levels in the batch capture VUs although the audio comes through just fine. Is that just something that DV input are prone to?

ScorpioProd
01-14-2004, 01:48 AM
Congrats on your success! :)

It's normal not to see the audio levels for capture via firewire, since you can't alter them during capture anyway.

SBowie
01-14-2004, 07:02 AM
Interestingly, though, those levels will be noticably much higher than if captured by analog input.

Tom Wood
01-14-2004, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by SBowie
Interestingly, though, those levels will be noticably much higher than if captured by analog input.

I've noticed that too, the audio from the tape is louder when it is sent to tape via firewire. For that matter, the video for my LightWave/Mirage animations is much better when firewired than sent Y/C.

TW

ScorpioProd
01-14-2004, 08:46 PM
But isn't the audio level difference because the VT intentionally captures audio at a lower level than it comes in? (This would affect analog input, not firewire.)

SBowie
01-14-2004, 09:35 PM
Whatever the rationale may be, put me down as one who would be perfectly content if the recorded analog level be just as high.