PDA

View Full Version : Armageddon Explosion

makin_copies
01-13-2004, 07:47 PM
Remember the scene in Armageddon where the comet hits the city of Paris; the ground and buildings errupted and flew towards the camera?
Is there a tutorial that can get me started producing a simular effect?

HowardM
01-13-2004, 07:54 PM
Buy Maya! ahahahhaah Im CIM!
haha just kiddding everyone, really!
:) sorry your name made me laugh!

hmm thats a lot to ask for in one tutorial, I think your better off breaking it down and searching here and on CGtalk even the old Newtek forum for pieces.
search for things like shockwave ring, hypervoxels (explosion,smoke, comet, dust/debirs), Crackit and C2 for the crumbling buildings and ground.
hmm also theres earth image maps from blueplanet I think.

you working on Armageddon 2? ;)

MAKING COPIIIEEEEESSS!
With the Liiiightwwaaaave!
:)

makin_copies
01-13-2004, 08:05 PM
I'm making a movie as a tribute to my son who has just returned from the war in Iraq. It's a sci-fi dramady/parody on Star Wars, Star Trek...Lots of special affects...I've even hired a helicopter pilot to get some arial shots for a chase scene simular to Independence Day.
The Armegeddon explosion is something I really want to do! That is a real "money shot" don't ya think? I realize it will incompass a combination of tutorials...just thought someone could get me going in the right direction.

Elmar Moelzer
01-13-2004, 08:18 PM
This shot was a calissical FX- shot AFAIK.
Done with miniatures, you know, no CG.
Cu
Elmar

makin_copies
01-13-2004, 08:22 PM
There has to be something out there that can simulate the ground errupting like that. Any ideas?

HowardM
01-13-2004, 08:24 PM
hmmm dont remember the scene exactly, but I bet C2 and Crackit will do the trick! C2 has a demo where the ground crumbles and explodes...you could tweak that..

nixx
01-13-2004, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Elmar Moelzer
This shot was a calissical FX- shot AFAIK.
Done with miniatures, you know, no CG.
Cu
Elmar

Not exactly, but not 3D either - it was a real pyrotechnics explosion composited over CG-altered (destroyed) live plates of Paris.
And yes, definitely a classic in my book ! (the shot, not the movie :))

nick

Elmar Moelzer
01-13-2004, 08:25 PM
I would use a displacement- map for that if I remember the shot correctly now.
CU
Elmar

makin_copies
01-13-2004, 08:27 PM
HowardM...not familiar with C2 or Crackit..Who makes it?

nixx
01-13-2004, 08:28 PM
makin_copies,

you 're talking about this shot, right ?

http://www.vfxhq.com/1998/stills/armageddon/paris_big.jpg

It's perfectly possible with controlled particle emission and HVs, but you have to be ready to deal with really long render times...

And Howard, it's called C4, man ;) And actually it wouldn't be of much use here.

nick

makin_copies
01-13-2004, 08:30 PM
Nixx, yep, that's the shot...by the way, you work really fast on getting that picture up.

Elmar Moelzer
01-13-2004, 08:33 PM
Yepp, now that I see it again, there definetely was a life- plate composited into it...
The explosion itself definitely looks like a case for hypervoxels.
CU
Elmar

HowardM
01-13-2004, 08:33 PM
Hey Nick! Whoops! :)
Sorry, I havent used it in a while...got ALOT on my mind!

That shot is totally classic and sweet!
I thought he wanted to crumble buildings and ground close up though....so C4 totally would work!

makin_copies
01-13-2004, 08:35 PM
No, Nixx hit the nail on the head, I just need to figure out how to recreate that shot...doesn't have to be Paris

nixx
01-13-2004, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by makin_copies
Nixx, yep, that's the shot...by the way, you work really fast on getting that picture up.

I keep an archive of visual fx stuff like that, so it wasn't hard :)

I have a rough technique in my head. I 'll do some tests tomorrow, and let you know how it goes. In the meantime, keep that image for reference. And I 'll say again, if you want to go with HVs (which would give the best results by far, in my opinion) you have to expect painful render times. If done right though, it will be worth it.

nick

makin_copies
01-13-2004, 08:38 PM
I can live with the render times...your help would be greatly appreciated.

HowardM
01-13-2004, 08:41 PM
Definitely check out THIS! (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=109006)

Pepitos smoke freaking rules!

nixx
01-13-2004, 08:42 PM
I can live with the render times...your help would be greatly appreciated.

Good ! Ok, I 'll see what I can do tomorrow... Sorry I can't do it right now, but I 'm already more than a few hours overdue for sleep, and it's starting to show... So I 'll see you back here sometime tomorrow, we 'll see how it goes.

ZZZzzz... :)

nick

Sastira
01-13-2004, 08:59 PM
My suggestion:

As far as the debris and dust/smoke for the expanding ring is concerned I would do something similar to this:

Use some kind of program (I would probably use flash) to create an animation of a white dot on a black background that expands into a circle with a falloff...

I took the liberty of creating a quick, and crappy, example of what I mean.

http://sastira.3dfightclub.com/tutorials/shockexample.swf

Now what I would do is take this little shockwave video of mine, and attach it to a particle emitter, that way they will be generated in the same pattern as the video file.

Hope this helps somewhat.

makin_copies
01-13-2004, 09:02 PM
I'll try anything you guys can throw at me...thanks

jamesl
01-13-2004, 09:46 PM
I saw a movie a few years back that made dinosaurs look realistic like they were flying around, killing people and stuff. Does anyone have a 7 step tutorial on how I could incorporate dinosaurs invading my house and killing my mother-in-law, totally photoreal, I'd appreciate it. It has to render in 12 minutes because I have to go to the airport to pick up wife's parents soon.

Thanks!

j

HowardM
01-13-2004, 09:51 PM
:)

anieves
01-14-2004, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by jamesl
I saw a movie a few years back that made dinosaurs look realistic like they were flying around, killing people and stuff. Does anyone have a 7 step tutorial on how I could incorporate dinosaurs invading my house and killing my mother-in-law, totally photoreal, I'd appreciate it. It has to render in 12 minutes because I have to go to the airport to pick up wife's parents soon.

Thanks!

j

HA, HA!!!!! funny stuff LMAO!

Now seriously, that shot was composited with cgi and film.
The explosion was shot at Skywalker ranch using a specific type of explosive which was shaped in "rings shapes" one ring inside the other like the classic "target" symbol. Then triggered from the inside out. It was shot with a hi speed camera and then slowed down in post. Very cool shot.

makin_copies
01-14-2004, 05:46 PM
Nixx, you awake yet?

adboy
01-14-2004, 06:06 PM
and heres the images of earth that where mentioned tho i dont know how the will be used it this scene

the are FAT res

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Newsroom/BlueMarble/

nixx
01-14-2004, 06:08 PM
Nixx, you awake yet?

Yes, barely :)

I couldn't make it for tonight, but I 'm rendering a first, rough version as we speak, so I 'll be able to show you something tomorrow. Remember it's gonna be a rough cut, and like I said, the HVs do take their time :(

I 'll post something as soon as I can. Keep in touch.

nick

makin_copies
01-15-2004, 06:41 PM
Nixx,

Any luck?

HowardM
01-15-2004, 08:09 PM
uh, you could of done the research and read all the tutorials and had it made by now!?

makin_copies
01-15-2004, 11:27 PM
I've been working on it...messing around with particle emitters right now....also going to give 3dmax a shot at it too!