View Full Version : Realism's the goal

PixelPilot
01-13-2004, 07:45 PM
Relative newbie submission.
Suggestions welcome.

veljko
01-14-2004, 01:13 AM
Hi-
The image does not seem realistic to me- Looks more like cartoony future stile of work-
This is mainly becouse of the sky and the background building, as well as the lack of detail in the building in the front of the image.

You would expect to find cracks and dirt and spots and stuff like that on the buildboard as well as on the fasade of the building..
This would be the way to go IMHO

The image is a good start!

hope this helpes!

danilo
01-14-2004, 04:58 AM
Nice Lighting!
danilo

hrgiger
01-14-2004, 05:44 AM
I don't think there's anything wrong with the sky. Looks like the first star is out before sunset.

I would agree that the buildings could use some weathered textures though.

trentonia
01-14-2004, 07:51 AM
Is that a Farrah Fawcet poster on the wall of that office?

PixelPilot
01-14-2004, 08:07 AM
Thanks, HR. I thought the sky looked like a pretty average night in the city, to me. I think the star is a faraway airplane. I plan to add more.

More cracks and dirt, though -- yeah, noted.

And, yes, that's the classic Farrah Fawcett poster on the wall;)

PixelPilot
01-14-2004, 08:09 AM
Thanks, Danilo!
I worked hard on it.

Ramon
01-14-2004, 02:05 PM
Hello. I like the camera angle and overall it looks nice.
I see some "room" for improvement:
1. The building in the background looks good however, the windows go all the way up to the very ceiling. That looks a bit odd. Maybe if you gave it a little more space up there, it would look more convincing.
2. The foregound- This building needs more details on it's surfaces. The billboard also needs some more details (dirt
Maybe diffusion maps, bump maps and spec that vary - that aren't consistant. Monotonous bump maps are easy give aways to a 3d scene. For example: Using a fractal noise map from photoshop without varing it at all. That's an easy give away. So I guess what I'm saying is that when you start adding these details, customize them for your scene. LW's proceedurals are nice because you can mix them through alpha layers but, Photoshop is the greatest customizer of all because your maps can be created to be extremely specific to the object.

veljko
01-15-2004, 02:58 AM
Maybe Its becouse i dont live in a big city, but my morning sky does not look like that :)

oncen_ever
01-15-2004, 08:30 PM
i actually aggre with veljko, I don't live in a city, but never in my life have I seen a brown sky, with little variation in it's colour, if it's smog that makes it brown, wouldn't it be a little cloudier? I guess you would know more than me, but I'd like to see a photo of this strange sky.

wacom
01-15-2004, 09:37 PM
Where I live, in Portland, we do get a sky like that every so often- but only when it snows. You need a lot of bounced light to get it that lit. Just my .02

PixelPilot
01-16-2004, 08:02 AM
I don't think there's much doubt that the sky will often appear as it does in this rendering especially on foggy or snowy nights in the city.

I will, however, cop to going with it partly 'cause it was an easy way out on the sky issue.

Does anyone have suggestions for a maybe some low-lying cloud cover that'd look good given the lighting?

ChrisW
01-16-2004, 08:07 AM
I think the color you are going for is a result of Sodium Vapor lights reflecting on particulates in the atmosphere (read - fog and smog).
I agree with the weathering comments, some streaking on the sign, dirty up the windows, maybe some pigeon droppings...

Good start, please keep us posted.

Chris

PixelPilot
01-16-2004, 08:31 AM
THAT'S what's missing!
I've never been so excited about excrement!
Thanks for the suggestion!

johnnyh66
01-20-2004, 08:28 AM
I live in Chicago and have looked up at that brown sky many a drunken night.
BTW: our company is looking for entry level LW artist...
[email protected]

Mmccoy1
01-20-2004, 10:27 AM
Hello, I'm very new to 3D, but I have a suggestion for you low lying clouds. 3D World did a write up on using a photo of a real sky, wrapped around you scene. You can't animate it, but I don't think thats what you're after anyway. Try playing with the opacity in photoshop so as to keep your unique looking colors.
Just some input from a newbie.

mphippeny
01-20-2004, 02:14 PM
To expand on Ramon's point, the background building feels like it is in need of a "crown", a thickness indicating that the roof is real. Also don't forget to show above ground cabeling for added urban sprawl. I think it was in the R. Crumb documentary that he (Crumb) said he had a friend take and send him pictures of telephone poles and street signs and things so he would remember to draw them in. I think most of us do mentally edit out all that junk and so adding it back in might help with the realism.

PixelPilot
01-20-2004, 02:46 PM
Thanks everyone and keep it coming.

I did crown the faraway building and I did dirty things up. Render to follow shortly.

Telephone poles and cruddy wiring IS next as far as more modeling.

Radiosity has really added something to the image's realism BUT it's also doing something to totally crud-ify the image. Crappy artifacting and runaway procedurals.

Render and anim to follow.

UsingLW 6.5 on Win2000

:confused:

Anyone got any ideas?

Hiraghm
01-20-2004, 09:30 PM
I live in Chicago and have looked up at that brown sky many a drunken night.
BTW: our company is looking for entry level LW artist...
[email protected]

Gee, Johnny, can you give any details on who your company is?

etobiason
01-23-2004, 04:53 PM
Hey! My company is looking for lightwave artists too!

I made a thread previously here. (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16943)

veljko
01-24-2004, 03:43 AM
The best way to get rid of Radiosity artifact is with the "shading noise reduction" button in the radiosity window.
so exepriment with it:)

hope it helpes!