PDA

View Full Version : Ability to Key from EXternal Source

Daren
01-13-2004, 04:33 PM
Please condsider making it possible to use an external source to key Graphics to the VT3 from an external source (another computer or CG) during a live event.

So much of what I do during a live event is spontanious and I am in need of someone to be sitting at another computer that is dedicated totally to live CG type work, while we are doing camera switching and keying from VT3.

There may be a way to do it now with some external hardware that will cost several thousand dollars to purchase, but We would sure love it Newtek would consider the posiblity of making something work for us now.

I am sure I am not alone on this desire.

Thanks
Daren:)

podro
01-14-2004, 08:35 AM
I actually got my VT3 installed 1/13. And this is the biggest drawback, especially in a church live switch situation.

Before VT3 we would run all our graphics/lyrics off a computer using MediaShout, a souped up powerpoint type of program. The user of Media shout has 2 screens on the computer, one is live, the other you can do whatever. So the user can double click on any lyric one the not live screen to bring it up. I would then use a simple luma key on our gvg 110 to have the words over live video.

Right now though, if you key anything, you can't dissolve to another camera, you can only cut.

So that's where the "external" key would be excellent.

Now if I set my graphics up in the DSK. With an alpha channel. And then set my graphics up in the ddr. I can add transitions to the graphics in the ddr, and be able to have nice fades from one to the other.

HOWEVER, I can not just jump randomly to another graphic in the ddr, if I do, then it's a hard cut. The only way I've found so far to jump to a random graphic within the ddr AND not have a cut, is to-fade out the DSK-click on the graphic-then Fade Up DSK.

It is just a couple of extra steps that something could go wrong.

THE FEATURE REQUEST-- When you have graphics in the ddr, have a "default transition" from your current live slide to the next slide you click on.

Meaning instead of just a Hard Cut now when you click on a graphic. You have a 10 or 15 frame dissolve.

that would immensly help me and 100% of the churches doing live switch with lyrics over top of cameras/motion bg's.

thanks!

glinzay
02-10-2004, 02:17 AM
"Please condsider making it possible to use an external source to key Graphics to the VT3 from an external source (another computer or CG) during a live event."

I echo this!!! In a church situation, this would be incredibly helpful!

tfrank
02-10-2004, 09:06 AM
This issue doesn't just resonate with "live" production. Our VT2, hopefully soon to be upgraded to a VT3...then joined by an additional VT3, resides in a broadcast enviroment. It would be nice to be able to hook up some of our exisiting post equipment that includes DVE's and Character Generators to the Toaster. It's a pain to pre-record effects to tape then import them in, or "save as..." graphics loosing some snazzy effects from the native machine. in order to use them on the toaster. I can't see that the fullfilment of this request would be a major engineering hurdle.