PDA

View Full Version : LightWave 3D 8 Feature List is Up!

Chuck
01-13-2004, 02:33 PM
Here:

http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/product/8/index.php

Enjoy!

Steve McRae
01-13-2004, 02:36 PM
. . . cool - thanks chuck . . .

Earl
01-13-2004, 02:36 PM
Whoohoo! Thanks Chuck (Proton, and all others involved)!

Kvaalen
01-13-2004, 02:38 PM
COOL!!! I've been waiting for this for so long!
Thank you so much! :)

CB_3D
01-13-2004, 02:40 PM
A nice list, yep! What about the release date? nd it still says "free electronic update", what about that?

Thx
Chris

mouse_art
01-13-2004, 02:40 PM
Thanks! :)

CB_3D
01-13-2004, 02:42 PM
...gotta love that textured wire, ahhhhh.......

hrgiger
01-13-2004, 02:45 PM
I see that rotate skelegons and preview rotational deformations....Does that mean we can finally rotate our character's limbs in modeler and create endomorphs from there(and not in vertex paint)? I hope so!

Noclar7
01-13-2004, 02:47 PM
hrgiger,

Considering D-Storm made vertex paint, I think were in luck :)

CB_3D
01-13-2004, 02:48 PM
http://www.animationsnippets.com/plugins/rotateskelegons/index.html

Chuck
01-13-2004, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by CB_3D
A nice list, yep! What about the release date? nd it still says "free electronic update", what about that?

Thx
Chris

I hate to even go there, but the fact of the matter is that "free electronic update" was used because we were not sure we'd be able to offer the update by download, and CDs are electronic media, hence, if we have to ship CDs that's an electronic upgrade. If you'll note on press releases other than the 8.0 items, if we are making something available by download, we just say it's available by download.

art
01-13-2004, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Chuck
"free electronic update" was used because we were not sure we'd be able to offer the update by download, and CDs are electronic media, hence, if we have to ship CDs that's an electronic upgrade.

Now that is some clever marketing! Either way, you are covered.

:)

CB_3D
01-13-2004, 02:54 PM
Ok, thx for the info. Since i am in Portugal i am a little worried about getting it later that way. Letīs hope NT Europe wonīt let us few over here down;)

Steve McRae
01-13-2004, 02:59 PM
. . . yes I think that I speak for all people who do not live in the States - we would rather receive our copy of LW8 from our local reseller rather than Newtek USA because of the duty and taxes that we will have to pay . . .

. . . Chuck would you mind addressing this at an appropriate time? . . .

. . . or download, if that idea is still floating around in the boardroom . . .

cheers,

cresshead
01-13-2004, 03:13 PM
since i've already paid for the product from a u.k supplier [onevideo.net] i should expect to recieve it with no further "top up" payments for duty etc as when i bought it the price included everything or so i was led to believe by www.onevideo.net

they should just ship the cdroms out as soon as they get them over at onevideo.net if newtek cannot setup a download for this product.

i'd like to hear from chuck and one video on this at some point in the near future if possible so i don't get another bill on top of what i've already paid....i'd also like to get the manual/box at some point too...though i know in advance that this is $99 extra and i'm okay with that cost.

looks good btw!..not really anything different from yesterday or so i can see so far in the feature list.

:cool:

Chuck
01-13-2004, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by atomman
. . . yes I think that I speak for all people who do not live in the States - we would rather receive our copy of LW8 from our local reseller rather than Newtek USA because of the duty and taxes that we will have to pay . . .

. . . Chuck would you mind addressing this at an appropriate time? . . .

. . . or download, if that idea is still floating around in the boardroom . . .

cheers,

Assuming that because the upgrades will be fulfilled on CD that we are not going to make use of the reseller channel would be incorrect. Working in partnership with our international distributors is obviously the most efficient way to insure convenient distribution for the users. I've seen some folks think CDs will cause some delay and that a download would be available sooner. For those things that we make available by download, the download is generally only made available once that product version is on hand with our international distributors, and ready to ship. This would most certainly have to be the case with a major point upgrade.

Again, when we do get ready to release 8 we will post details and procedures, and will be ready to answer any questions you may have on those procedures and will address any particular difficulties on a case by case basis.

problemchild
01-13-2004, 03:20 PM
Thanks!

I guess multiple undo in laout is under workflow enhancements.

:)

-r

t4d
01-13-2004, 03:27 PM
I take back anything negative I said about you newtek guys

Lightwave 8 LOOKS F"N AMAZING
truly going to be a great update ;)

Thanks guy

Now when are we going to get it :D

hrgiger
01-13-2004, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the Feature list Newtek.

As far as the render speed enhancement...Any chance of someone there at Newtek, Proton perhaps, doing a quick benchmark of one of the Lightwave 7 benchmark scenes and then doing the same scene on 8? I'm kind of curious to see the difference....

Steve McRae
01-13-2004, 03:30 PM
Assuming that because the upgrades will be fulfilled on CD that we are not going to make use of the reseller channel would be incorrect.

. . . awesome - thanks for addressing that Chuck . . . :)

Lewis
01-13-2004, 03:31 PM
Thanks Chuck , you've been really busy :)

I see new Textured wireframe mode and i'm happy to see it but i wonder is this mean that we FINALLY can choose color of wires in texture modes :) ? I see wires in black and white on that screen.

Thanks

takkun
01-13-2004, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Lewis

I see new Textured wireframe mode and i'm happy to see it but i wonder is this mean that we FINALLY can choose color of wires in texture modes :) ? I see wires in black and white on that screen.

Thanks Yes, I think so. William has been showing off colored wireframes in this thread - http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16309

Meaty
01-13-2004, 03:43 PM
Very Slick features page Chuck and Co... we all are very excited at my office!! Keep it up

claymation
01-13-2004, 03:49 PM
looks great

Clay

Jure
01-13-2004, 03:54 PM
LW[8] is looking to be amazing! All 4 thumbs up! :)

cdeutekom
01-13-2004, 04:00 PM
I actually like the idea of the Lightwave 8 upgrade being shipped on CD. Simply because i would of had to burn a backup CD anyway, if I download the upgrade. This saves me an extra step. Because lord knows Harddrives tend to crash and computers tend to breakdown. So NT will be providing me with my backup of Lightwave 8. Not a bad deal, if you ask me. Now i just have to think whether I should purchase the manuals for $99 from Newtek, or purchase inside Lightwave 8 for $42 on Amazon.

pixelinfected
01-13-2004, 04:04 PM
i think it's a dumb thread.
if newtek decide to do a downloadable upgrade every one can download it for a few bucks.
if you haven't (like me) a fast connection, you can go to a internet point and download it for less than 2-4$ (or euro if you are european like me). than it can master for you. ( i just did in paste without problems).

in every case, you need to ask a new license key to newtek, than, who download it is not important, if you, your friends, or an internet points.

if you prefer a printed version, with manual and cd, you must pay it to newtek, or print directly the pdf on student center at low cost.

please don't waste time for not real problems.
i live in a small place, but i solve it fast...

Chuck
01-13-2004, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by takkun
Yes, I think so. William has been showing off colored wireframes in this thread - http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16309

William has also posted one of the items we'll be adding to the features page later in the week - the hidden wireframe view.

Another is a look at textured wireframe in Layout:

js33
01-13-2004, 04:12 PM
Chuck,

All the new features look great.
We've all know about most of them for a long time now.
We've all liked the new features for a long time now.
So when will we actually get to use them?

Cheers,
JS

Spidey1138
01-13-2004, 04:15 PM
Cooooooooooooool!!! :D

GruvSyco
01-13-2004, 04:32 PM
It'd be really nice if the enhancements to LScript included making it a bit more dynamic. Being able to go in and add/modify/remove selections during an active script would be neato keen.

WilliamVaughan
01-13-2004, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Lewis

Thanks

Colors can be changed to your liking :)

ikaruz
01-13-2004, 04:52 PM
I'm just wondering what "Photoshop Flexible Point" is??? I don't think I've ever heard of it. Proton maybe you can shed some light on it.

OpenEXR is the open source HDRI file formate from ILM correct?

By the way looks like [8] is gonna be great. :)

agrippa
01-13-2004, 04:53 PM
The movie for the hard bodies doesn't match the thumbnail! Any chance of posting that clip so we can see how you set up the "wall" object for breaking?? In the past, the wall would have to be "pre-broken". Is that still the case? Or does the new hard body dynamics engine shatter objects as well??

Thanks-

Agrippa

Jaffro
01-13-2004, 05:08 PM
Good work Chuck, Proton, and everyone who worked hard bringing this list out. Looks great, and your adding items later?! The future's bright!

minus
01-13-2004, 05:29 PM
I wonder if Layout wireframe view is going to match Modeler wireframe view... or if it will be all triangulated in subpatch mode.

Chris S. (Fez)
01-13-2004, 06:41 PM
Could someone at Newtek pretty please with polygons on top answer a couple questions concerning the "Create Joint Morph" plugin. Obviously Newtek incorporated Christopher Lutz's Smartskin plugins. Have the plugins been improved? Does "Rotate skelegons" take into account the influence of other weightmaps? Can we rotate a skelegon and edit the point weights of subpatches like we can with meshes in Vertex Paint?

Thank you.

riki
01-13-2004, 06:57 PM
Sweet stuff, well done.

anieves
01-13-2004, 07:00 PM
I am looking forward to 8 but I'm wondering if NewTek made interactive any of the modeler tools that weren't interactive, like radial array, path clone etc....

Proton or Chuck please tell me you guys did!!!!!!!

stef
01-13-2004, 08:16 PM
Had this impressive feature list been posted in mid-December it would have probably calmed down a lot of folks (not a complaint, but an observation). Following this unfolding drama I came to conclusion that lots of LW-loving users were traumatized over the passed events at NT and did not believe "Phoenix will rise from the ashes", hence the whole hysteria and flaking NT got with the release delay. Taking into account that not so long ago NT was posting employment ads for programmers, and today, judging at least by the awesome feature list, LW simply rocks - makes me admire and appreciate your company even more so! I will definitely upgrade to 8, and would like to do it NOW, since as a mac user Layout is basically useless at this time under Panther, and a fully functioning program is sorely needed. Thank you for a non-nonsense approach to our legitimate requests.

meatycheesyboy
01-13-2004, 08:44 PM
"Public Hub API so that third party applications can communicate directly with Layout and Modeler "

Does this mean that someone would be able to make a plugin similar to Ghost Painter for 3dsMax where LW would interface directly with Photoshop?

eacide
01-13-2004, 08:47 PM
I may be wrong but this statement "plugin [...]" is certainly the most important and promising feature of LW8.

I see the premices of a rewrite and of a nodal approach.

But I may be wrong :rolleyes:

Lamont
01-13-2004, 10:16 PM
I'm a simple man and I got all kinds of happy when I saw this:

- Textured Wireframe View Mode
- Multi-textured view mode
- Improved Aligner, Sizer and Dangle tools
- New Selection Tools

archiea
01-13-2004, 11:48 PM
I gotta say, that 8 features page rocks!!!

badllarma
01-14-2004, 12:01 AM
just :D

Nemoid
01-14-2004, 01:56 AM
Kool features! :D
you put strong enhancements on both workflow and power!

Emmanuel
01-14-2004, 02:01 AM
Hi,

what do I see on that multi-texture-screenshot with the ant that I couldn't see in 7.5c ?

Exper
01-14-2004, 03:15 AM
Speed and Workflow Optimizations
* Faster Rendering

Cheers :p

Librarian
01-14-2004, 03:21 AM
Nice list. That`s what we need :cool:

evilemil
01-14-2004, 04:02 AM
Thanks NT for this list.

It seems very impressive, indeed.
We will see, how this stuff works when people start to use it, but i am very confident, that i spent my money on something worth it.

pixym
01-14-2004, 06:24 AM
"Faster rendering"
Can we have a average of the enhancement?

mattclary
01-14-2004, 06:46 AM
OK, it's official, I have wood. :cool:

JeF
01-14-2004, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by mattclary
OK, it's official, I have wood. :cool:
Uhm. :rolleyes:

Some quantized enhancement with rendering and opengl speed will be awsome while we are waiting.

New viewport modes looks like really promising and i can't wait to test those Bake zone for the Dope track.

Btw now i'm happy with my summer pre-order!
Nice work.

PS: Thanks for the OpenEXR format input!

Karmacop
01-14-2004, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by Emmanuel
Hi,

what do I see on that multi-texture-screenshot with the ant that I couldn't see in 7.5c ?

Multitexturing is everything you see below the multitexturing option ie rendering in the open gl display using diffuse, luminosity, transparency and colour. Multitexturing just means rendering more than one texture at once. So before lightwave just had monotexturing, where you could only see the colour channel.

T-Light
01-14-2004, 07:14 AM
Fan-tastic :cool:

Can I have mine now.

Aw go on.

grundgedanke
01-14-2004, 07:48 AM
mhhh, ok, well, mhhhh, aehhh...

...i want it NOW :-)

KOlson
01-14-2004, 08:48 AM
hate to even go there, but the fact of the matter is that "free electronic update" was used because we were not sure we'd be able to offer the update by download, and CDs are electronic media, hence, if we have to ship CDs that's an electronic upgrade. If you'll note on press releases other than the 8.0 items, if we are making something available by download, we just say it's available by download.

Would NewTek be willing to provide a link to a download which could possibly be the 8 installer minus the content and then ship the cds out to everyone? That way everyone could get it right away when it's ready for public consumption... Just a thought. Would anyone agree with that? :)

Jockomo
01-14-2004, 09:41 AM
I see some interesting changes in the SDK concerning the hub.
I am wondering though, have they done any work to make it better?

Specifically:

Layout currently sees objects differently than Modeler, in other words, Layout sees layers as objects. When layers are modified in Modeler, like things are moved from one layer to another, Layout has a hard time with that.. leaving behind nulls and creating new objects. It would also be nice to be able to copy entire layers (including the layer name) from one layer to another.

If you open an object in layout, texture it, open modeler, make come changes to the mesh, then close modeler without saving, it also blows the texturing changes you made in layout.

Have these issues been addressed?

wacom
01-14-2004, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by KOlson
Would NewTek be willing to provide a link to a download which could possibly be the 8 installer minus the content and then ship the cds out to everyone? That way everyone could get it right away when it's ready for public consumption... Just a thought. Would anyone agree with that? :)

Not to sound like an idiot...but maybe...just maybe they are going to have people download the new demo version, and then use their SN to unlock it? Could be an option...but how long did it take for a demo of 7 to come out?

siproductions
01-14-2004, 10:54 AM
Thanks Chuck. LW8 Looks really nice if you ask me.;)

JDaniel
01-14-2004, 11:11 AM
Very cool!!!!!!!!!!!

claymation
01-14-2004, 11:15 AM
Chuck,

In another post Proton mentioned that we will be able to change the wireframe colors. Does this mean we will have controls for changing other interface colors as well instead of editing the lwhub.cfg file by hand?

Thanks for posting the information, It's exciting to see all the new features to come.

Jay

Steve McRae
01-14-2004, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Jockomo
I see some interesting changes in the SDK concerning the hub.
I am wondering though, have they done any work to make it better?

Specifically:

Layout currently sees objects differently than Modeler, in other words, Layout sees layers as objects. When layers are modified in Modeler, like things are moved from one layer to another, Layout has a hard time with that.. leaving behind nulls and creating new objects. It would also be nice to be able to copy entire layers (including the layer name) from one layer to another.

If you open an object in layout, texture it, open modeler, make come changes to the mesh, then close modeler without saving, it also blows the texturing changes you made in layout.

Have these issues been addressed?

. . . the hub issue is a biggy for me as well - I have stopped using it all together - with large scenes it is just too unwieldy . . . this however puts a massive kink in the workflow and make LW cumbersome to use . . . it is the thing that I hate most about LW . .

claymation
01-14-2004, 11:29 AM
They need the hub to tell modeler that the file is already saved so this doesn't happen. with luck the work they did fixed that problem.

Jay

Chong
01-14-2004, 01:34 PM
Definitely COOL

now i knw why i need this upgrade!

Archigram
01-14-2004, 04:37 PM
I looked through the posted features list for LW8 but saw nothing about a much requested feature: a true isometric/orthographic camera setting. The fake iso method (far camera/big zoom) has all sorts of problems, most of all, for me, edge render abnormalities. Any news about an iso camera in the new release?

wacom
01-14-2004, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by David Brody
I looked through the posted features list for LW8 but saw nothing about a much requested feature: a true isometric/orthographic camera setting. The fake iso method (far camera/big zoom) has all sorts of problems, most of all, for me, edge render abnormalities. Any news about an iso camera in the new release?

Have you not tried the "Pview" master plug-in? I'm not saying Newtek shouldn't address this issue, but this plug-in could save you a lot of time- and it looks way better than the "zoom" out camera trick.
Look for it on Flay.com. If you can't find it just send me a private message and I'll get it to you.

Chuck
01-15-2004, 11:05 AM
On the Features Page, under the Other Enhancements section, we've added more images and info on the Enhanced OpenGL topic, plus added a new topic for Integration Tools, which clarifies the new support for flx files for Photoshop and Windows Media Player.

Steve McRae
01-15-2004, 11:14 AM
. . . awesome . . .

Lewis
01-15-2004, 11:19 AM
Thanks Chuck - OpenGL enhancments look really great now (finally we have true transparency and more..) :).

samartin
01-15-2004, 11:52 AM
Very nice addition, can't wait to get rid of F9, hmmm not sure, change, F9, hmmm I think it was better previously...

Emmanuel
01-15-2004, 12:42 PM
Hi,

don't want to spoil the party, but...erm... realtime bump mapping ?
Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssssss sse !!!
Your almost there NT, if You add bump mapping to the OpenGL it will
be complete, yes, yes !!

Elmar Moelzer
01-15-2004, 01:05 PM
Hey Emmanuel!
There are many ways to do bump- mapping. The old simple way uses two textures for one bump- map.
This is a bit problematic and we therefore decided to postpone bump- mapping until a later date and use a different and superior solution for that, which would allow for a few other goodies as well. This requires a bit more work though.
I beg your understanding.
CU
Elmar

Emmanuel
01-15-2004, 01:11 PM
No prob :)
The new OpenGL features are great, I am a happy camper :D
Luminosity maps alone are already a much needed enhancement (windows and engines of spaceships :))) )....

Elmar Moelzer
01-15-2004, 01:14 PM
Whats really cool is that they can now be displayed together with color and diffuse maps and reflectionmaps too...
CU
Elmar

Chingis
01-15-2004, 01:39 PM
so does this mean that if we make a 32 bit alpha image in photoshop the transparancy will show up in Open GL (realtime clipmapping - or cookiecut, what have you)???

cresshead
01-15-2004, 04:54 PM
looking at other apps in comparison to lightwave 8 for open gl and 3dsmax got these sort of features in max 4 such as multiple maps in the viewport textured onto the model and true transparency..but then they [discreet] were driven by what the games industry needed at that time where as lightwave caters for a broader market to that of 3dsmax..still you should be aware that in 3ds max you DO NOT have a simple way to make different objects [in layout not modeler] wire, point, box or textured plus max 6 doesn't display lens falres or open gl fog..so yeah lightwave has caught up to some capabilities that came in 2001 for max 4 but in other areas max 6.0 still lags behind lightwave 7.5 and this also includes uv editing as well as a number of badly implemented tools found in max 4, 5 & 6.

so lightwave 8's open gl is nice but not really a huge step forward in capabilities in 3D apps in general.

j3st3r
01-16-2004, 01:36 AM
Speaking of MAX viewports, as far as I know, it renders motion blur, DOF realtime in the opengl viewport...MAX viewport is not behind of LWs,anyway, if we see LW8 performance with all these features, I`m sure, we can say, that NOW max viewports is behind LW...:D

Kvaalen
01-16-2004, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by j3st3r
Speaking of MAX viewports, as far as I know, it renders motion blur, DOF realtime in the opengl viewport...MAX viewport is not behind of LWs,anyway, if we see LW8 performance with all these features, I`m sure, we can say, that NOW max viewports is behind LW...:D

LightWave can render motion blur and DOF in OpenGL in the viewports. It isn't real time, but it is a matter of seconds (shift F9).

Emmanuel
01-16-2004, 03:01 AM
As soon as normal mapping is included, LW will be feature wise THE tool to create stuff for Doom 3-mods :D
I guess we will never get the complete support packages like XSI have, though....but then, it should be easier to create a standalone app especially for LightWave that loads lwo into a virtual game engine than to incorporate one into LW ;)))
BTW, I was pretty surprised when I used D-Storms .X-exporter, it DOES open a window on top of LW to show the exported model in DirectX-mode ! Although LW runs in OpenGL !
Now, that *is* a viable solution for future plugins: You don't NEED to integrate DiretX into LW as long as You provide a little viewer tool that allows You to check the look of the object/shaders in a DirectX-window :)))
Food for thought...maybe a bridge tool to one of the standard viewers such as ATIs Rendermonkey would an option.

Exper
01-16-2004, 04:49 AM
Originally posted by Emmanuel
...maybe a bridge tool to one of the standard viewers such as ATIs Rendermonkey would an option.From ATI site:
"This release has been tested with the Catalyst 3.6 drivers from ATI and the DirectX 9.0b runtime from Microsoft. Please ensure both of these (or a more recent release) are installed before using RenderMonkey."

Does it works only with ATI chips?

Emmanuel
01-16-2004, 05:57 AM
I am not 100% sure, but I think yes.
But there is something similiar for nVidia chips....
http://developer.nvidia.com/object/IO_CgFXViewer.html

cresshead
01-16-2004, 08:05 AM
just to correct a post above about 3dsmax

max dof and mo blur in the open gl viewport is not "real time" it's based on the camera wiggle method so it has say 6 to 12 passes it renders to the viewport just the same as the lightwave method.

you can with max make a preview movie using this method which i think lightwave can do as well.

my point is that these new view methods are very welcome for lightwave 8 but they are nothing new to most other apps..newtek is playing "catchup" in this regard, though as i stated some of the xapabilities in lightwave 7 have yet to see the "light of day" in 3ds max...open gl lens fx or fig for example.

Exper
01-16-2004, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by cresshead
though as i stated some of the xapabilities in lightwave 7 have yet to see the "light of day" in 3ds max...open gl lens fx or fig for example. Different apps -> different features! :D

Bye.