PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop Flexible Point File Format?

takkun
01-13-2004, 02:27 PM
This is listed as one of the new formats supported by Lightwave 8 in the feature list (http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/product/8/features.php#RenderingEnhancements).I did a search on google and I couldn't find out any info about it. Does anyone know what the Flexible Point File Format is?

Nemoid
01-14-2004, 07:12 AM
I was wondering the same, then I was also thinking that we have a "image viewer FP" in Lw.
dunno about Photoshop support, though.

so...maybe FP and Floating Point images are the same?

Exper
01-14-2004, 07:14 AM
FP normally stands for Floating Point!

Maybe NT should tell us more... if... they want!

Bye.

Beamtracer
01-14-2004, 08:58 AM
I didn't know Photoshop supported any floating point formats.

I would have preferred a simpler option. Just put regular 16-bpc PSD support in the Lightwave render menu. (It currently exists as a plug-in which is not always accessible). Also, 16-bpc TIFF support would have been handy.

Photoshop can read 16-bpc PSD images.
After Effects can read 16-bpc PSD images.
They can both read 16-bpc TIFFS.

What app can read FP PSD images?

Also, the EXR format is very new, so there aren't huge numbers of apps that support that either.

In Lightwave's render menu there are various 32-bpc FP image formats, but there are no 16-bpc formats that can be read by either After Effects or Photoshop.

This really needs improvement, as 16-bpc is now the mainstay of film and broadcast production.

Noclar7
01-14-2004, 09:21 AM
This is just a shot in the wind, but I think it just means the regular PSD layer exporter we have now as a image filter plugin. but.... having it work "properly" so we dont have to open it in photoshop, shift and delete layers, change layer modes, etc.. to work with it.
at least, thats what Im hoping they mean.

claymation
01-14-2004, 10:07 AM
I have Photoshop CS at work and there still is no floating point formats. There is 8 and 16 bit. From what I've read in the photoshop mags they added more filter and tool compatability to the 16 bit modes.

I even did a search on Adobe and there is nothing about floating point formats.

Floating point image editing I still do in FilmGimp.

It may just be a bad choice of wording. If they really mean you can save either 8 or 16 per layer images then that would be really cool.

Where is Chuck to the rescue?

Jay

wizlon
01-14-2004, 11:09 AM
Are'nt they refering to the .flx (flexible format) currently in Lightwave?

claymation
01-14-2004, 11:27 AM
maybe? I just reread the list and I think my earlier post was off.

-----------------------
Direct Show Flexible Point: allows users to view Flexible Point images in Internet Explorer.
OpenEXR file format support
Photoshop Flexible Point file format support
-------------------------
In Internet explorer and photoshop? it sounds like they are making a direct draw codec/plugin and photoshop plugin that will allow them both to open the .flx file wizlon mentioned.

Jay

takkun
01-14-2004, 11:28 AM
What is an flx file?

claymation
01-14-2004, 11:45 AM
did a seearch and it is a floating point file format that can also contain an alpha channel.

there is already a photoshop plugin to load it

http://www.flay.com/GetDetail.cfm?ID=1072

The plugin from what i see in the comments may not work. I guess LW has a working version out for LW 8

Jay

Chuck
01-14-2004, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by wizlon
Are'nt they refering to the .flx (flexible format) currently in Lightwave?

Good guess!!!!

We're clarifying that by pulling the current under-informative bullet points and replacing them with this, in the Other Enhancements section.

Integration Tools

*Photoshop plugins that allow NewTek's Flexible Image HDRI format (.flx) to be loaded into PhotoShop.
*DirectShow filter allowing .flx animations to be played in Windows Media Player.

claymation
01-14-2004, 02:01 PM
Thanks Chuck,

jay

Steve McRae
01-14-2004, 02:42 PM
. . . neato . . .

Beamtracer
01-14-2004, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Chuck
Good guess!!!!

We're clarifying that by pulling the current under-informative bullet points and replacing them with this, in the Other Enhancements section.

Integration Tools

*Photoshop plugins that allow NewTek's Flexible Image HDRI format (.flx) to be loaded into PhotoShop.
*DirectShow filter allowing .flx animations to be played in Windows Media Player.

What would be really useful is a Quicktime plug-in to allow Quicktime savvy applications to use the flx formt.

In particular, Adobe After Effects. It would be great to be able to import flx files and use them in After Effects. I think that would be more useful than the Photoshop plug-in.

At the moment, there's a lack of compatibility between LW and AE for image file formats greater than 8bpc.

sketchyjay
01-14-2004, 10:20 PM
I thought AE could use photoshop plugins?

Jay

wizlon
01-15-2004, 02:23 AM
Chuck, how does Photoshop interpret the HDR data? I guess it will be clipped after you alter the white and black point, before it's loaded in Photoshop?

riki
01-15-2004, 03:13 AM
I've been told that flx igood if your using an external render farm. I still don't understand it fully. You can apparently load the images back into Lightwave, make adjustments with Image Editor and then what?? render or save them back out??

wizlon
01-15-2004, 03:19 AM
You just save them back out, that way you always have access to that HDR data at a later date if needed.

riki
01-15-2004, 05:33 AM
Saving them out means re-renderring it as a background image right?? Image Editor itself doesn't have any 'Save' Option.

Ade
01-15-2004, 06:08 AM
Advertising you have full FBX support is a good thing to have.

wizlon
01-15-2004, 06:18 AM
Riki, if you double click the .flx file name or thumbnail in your image viewer window it will open the file in a preview window, which then enables you to save it.

The benfit of this is you can apply any of the post process filters to it after it has been rendered - HDR expose, bloom etc..

Also if you do this with a series of .flx files in a animation sequence, you can load this into your image viewer and use it as a backdrop image. this also allows you access to all post process filter and it will render in near realtime.

riki
01-15-2004, 06:36 AM
Hi wizlon, that's amazing, exactly what I needed. Many thanks for that.

Beamtracer
01-15-2004, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by sketchyjay
I thought AE could use photoshop plugins?
Since After Effects 5, compatibility was broken for most Photoshop plug-ins.

takkun
01-15-2004, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by wizlon
Riki, if you double click the .flx file name or thumbnail in your image viewer window it will open the file in a preview window, which then enables you to save it.

The benfit of this is you can apply any of the post process filters to it after it has been rendered - HDR expose, bloom etc..

Also if you do this with a series of .flx files in a animation sequence, you can load this into your image viewer and use it as a backdrop image. this also allows you access to all post process filter and it will render in near realtime. Whoa, this is cool. :) Thanks for the info.