PDA

View Full Version : Screamernet Problems not in FAQ

Intuition
03-09-2003, 07:14 PM
Ok now I know how to get Screamernet 2 up and running and have all computers accounted for in the initiation.

But when I load a scene file it, of course, has a saved file that maps all the content that it needs on the C: drive.

So I have all the computers mapped to network drive Z:

They all have a neat little shortcut to the shared directory from where the LWSN.exe runs (of course customized for ech computer job1 ack1, job2 ack 2 and so on but,

When I load the scene file the computers look for the content in all of thier C:\drives

now I have content directory set at Z:\

SO why do all the screamer windows say cant find object "C:\Whateverfolder\file\andnameIuse.lwo,lws etc."

They are supposed to be looking for Z:\Whateverfolder\file\andnameIuse.lwo,lws etc

But since the scene file is saved on C:\ it looks there anyways.

Am I supposed to save the scene in a Z directory as well as import the plugins form the Z: directory?

I thought Screamnet2 was supposed make is so you didnt have to copy all content to each computer?

Anyways regardless of the solution the screamer net isnt outputting files even though the saved file has file saving *.tga turned on during the scene file save.

I could see how S.net would work If I, from scratch, loaded every model and plug in from the network mapped Z: drive and then saved it to the Z: drive as well

But I dont think you guys intended it to work that way.

I thought that maybe the content directory was not set right but it is aimed at Z:

But again when the file loads it still looks for stuff on thier own C:\ drives.

Thanks for any thoughts or time you have for me.

trentonia
03-10-2003, 09:44 AM
When you are planning on using a network to render, you need to map all of your objects, scenes, and images to the "z:" drive. When you build and save your models, use the z: drive. Get in the habit of opening Lightwave, Modeler, and all of your files from the z: drive. You can fix the problem by opening your object, remapping all of the images to the z: drive and "save as" to the z: drive. You can avoid all of these problems by using http://www.respower.com to do your rendering. If you go to this website and check their documentation, they have some write-ups that will help you understand file mapping issues. Also, the owner of this company has an article in the latest issue of Keyframe magazine http://www.keyframemag.com/ that discusses these very issues. And, by the way, make sure that you set your file output to save to the z: drive. Good Luck.

Intuition
03-10-2003, 11:26 AM
This was my guess but I didn't think I was right.

I appreciate the response you have been a great help :)

IT is now working like clockwork.

3D|Dave
03-10-2003, 05:01 PM
UNC address work just as well if not better than mapped drives and you only have to "share" the drives so all of the computers in the network can see them.

Example,

//Server//Render_Drive/
//Server//Lightwave_Data/Objects
//Server//Lightwave_Data/Images
//Server//Lightwave_Data/Scenes

Also use UNC for your Lightwave configs and your command directory.

//Workstation/LW_Config/
//Workstation/Command

Lastly if you want full control of your network rendering I would suggest this.

http://www.digitaltoons.tv/shop/

UnCommonGrafx
03-10-2003, 09:05 PM
Some of these post titles are so... far afield.

Glad to see there are not actual problems.

Animator395
03-11-2003, 12:10 AM
I have just recently, (as in the last two days) gotten screamernet to work on my home setup. I spent endless hours researching this and going through much of the same things you are. So Im guessing you got the basic jist of how to do it and won't go into great detail. I think your problem might have to do with your config files. You must edit these to reflect your new content directory and drive settings. If they say C: somewhere you must change them to Z: or whatever you have set up on your particular network. Basically open up the configs and change everything that points to your harddrive to its corresponding new location on the network drive. Hope this helps.

Intuition
03-11-2003, 12:39 PM
WHen I ran a scream render of a scene with particles each computer calculated the particles randomly.

Is there a way to get them to utilize not only the same generatied particles but to also play the exact frame of the sprite volumetric animation that is being projected on them?

Do I have to record the particles motion?

UnCommonGrafx
03-11-2003, 12:54 PM
Yup.