PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade to WinXP Pro

RayLarson
01-13-2004, 07:45 AM
My partner and I have been thinking of upgrading our T3 to WinXP Pro. I am looking for pros and cons.

I am always a little scared about this sort of a change with our system a major sorce of revenue. I would love information from those who have migrated from Win 2000 Pro to Win XP Pro

Jim_C
01-13-2004, 08:06 AM
Go for it.

XP is faster in render and save tests, XP supports Hyperthreading, XP has restore points to roll back to in case of a bad installation of some kind, T3 was coded on XP machines, it has the letter X in it.

Absolutely no problems or complaints here.

Jim

Paul Lara
01-13-2004, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by Jim_C
Go for it...it has the letter X in it.

I'd agree with Jim on this one!

RayLarson
01-13-2004, 12:53 PM
OK, I ordered the software to upgrade Win 2000 pro to Win XP Pro.

Any pitfalls, tweaks or tricks I need to know about.

Anyone who has upgraded...let me know so I can get through this easily. This is like birth....I am already feeling the contractions. I hope it's a smooth delivery and I can just continue along.

.....oh how I hate this process !!

Jim_C
01-13-2004, 01:40 PM
Well hopefully you got the full version.
I have heard it is cleaner and safer to do a complete reformat of sytem drive and install XP from scratch other than upgrading from 2k to XP.

I do not recall what specific problems with an upgrade only folks had or have.

Check this thread for tweaks...
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15272

RayLarson
01-13-2004, 02:01 PM
I got the upgrade due to budget constraints. I hope I just didn't flush $$$$ down the toilet.

I had no desire to reload all my software and play computer geek for a week while my T3 cooled off. I figured upgrade the OS and get back to work.

Rich Deustachio
01-13-2004, 03:12 PM
Even using the upgrade version of XP you will still need to reinstall the VT software.

SBowie
01-13-2004, 03:24 PM
Ray, I did the XP upgrade (Home->Pro) on one of my units without incident.

Jim_C
01-13-2004, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by RayLarson
I got the upgrade due to budget constraints. I hope I just didn't flush $$$$ down the toilet.

I bet it will work just fine. You know no one ever posts about successful upgrades (Mr Bowie excluded) folks only post when something goes amiss.

Jim

Nild
01-13-2004, 05:59 PM
I lost several days & some important files when I upgraded with a full install & clean up of my drives. After 18 months it needed the clean up but I did'nt need the frustration. XP is a good thing so proceed with caution as you planned with your upgrade. May the aliens go with you.

RayLarson
01-13-2004, 06:52 PM
Thanks Steve & Others.

I am updating from Win 2000 Pro to Win XP Pro. Didn't realize I needed to re-install T3....I may wait a bit before I proceed. To much work in the pipeline.

ScorpioProd
01-13-2004, 10:47 PM
Remember, as people pointed out, clean install versus "upgrade" is the usual recommendation, so that would require a reinstallation of ALL of your software.

I haven't moved to XP, but on previous Windows OSes, like when I went from Win98 to Win2k on one of my machines, "upgrade" didn't work well at all.

Jim Capillo
01-14-2004, 04:14 AM
Originally posted by ScorpioProd
I haven't moved to XP, but on previous Windows OSes, like when I went from Win98 to Win2k on one of my machines, "upgrade" didn't work well at all.

Same here, Eugene. Just brought the last of my 98 machines up to W2K last week and it required a full wipe. It took a few hours to put all the software back on the machine and configure it. :mad:

SBowie
01-14-2004, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by ScorpioProd
Remember, as people pointed out, clean install versus "upgrade" is the usual recommendation, so that would require a reinstallation of ALL of your software.

I haven't moved to XP, but on previous Windows OSes, like when I went from Win98 to Win2k on one of my machines, "upgrade" didn't work well at all. I'm inclined to agree if you are going from 2000 to XP Pro. A full installation is doubtless preferable, and no doubt always wil be. I was pleasantly surprised, however, to see how seamless and problem-free the transition from XP Home to XP Pro was.