PDA

View Full Version : Creating a 3D globe

89civic
01-12-2004, 10:22 PM
Ok, I'm just trying different things trying to learn Light wave. I want to start small. I am trying to create my own planet. I then want to make it 3D and then render so that it rotates. I'd like to add rings later on. However, I've made the globe. I did half and then mirrored the other side and I just created the globe whole. When I got to add skin it does all but 1/4 of the globe. It will not do the whole thing. I have no back ground in this. I tried attaching the object but it only allows pics. Can anyone suggest something?

Tom Wood
01-12-2004, 10:39 PM
Hi Sean,

Look in the content files that came with LightWave, and in either the Geography or Space folders, there should be several versions of planets and earth. They start as a simple ball and then there are several images that are spherically wrapped around the ball to make a globe.

HTH

TW

89civic
01-12-2004, 11:29 PM
I would actually like to render the spear personally because I'll be rendering Misc. vehicles for web sites. I then them full 3D. I'll also be doing customize bumpers, frames, lights, seats and so on. So I really do need to learn this.

wingwalker
01-14-2004, 02:51 PM
Try this great tutorial site

http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials/space.htm#Space%20Objects

look at the planet tutorials...good luck...no dont for get to let us see the results

Rob T

Tom Wood
01-14-2004, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by 89civic
I would actually like to render the spear personally because I'll be rendering Misc. vehicles for web sites. I then them full 3D. I'll also be doing customize bumpers, frames, lights, seats and so on. So I really do need to learn this.

Understood. What I meant was, look at the way they did it and see if it can help you create your own. The spherical wrapping of the images is especially cool. I saved their object as a separate file and then replaced different parts until I had what I wanted. Look closely at the Surface Editor for the Earth objects, and you'll get a great tutorial all in one object!

TW