PDA

View Full Version : bouncy letters and sloshy water

3dgirl
01-12-2004, 06:58 PM
ok 1 more question! :)

i want some letters to jump into the screen and bounce till standstill, in a quite rubbery, stretchy sort of way.

tried inertia doesn't give me the bounce i need "upon arrival", though that's the kind of sretchiness i want "on the way down".

the only way i can think to do it is maybe somehow with motion designer, but that seems kind of overkill when there's no object interaction invloved. is there something a bit simpler which will give me a bit of bounce n stretch?

I also want to make some water sloshing around in a glass kind of effect. There doens't seem to be any tutorials in doing this in Lightwave, and I can't afford Realflow, which seems to be the way to go for this kind of effect. Is there a way of doing it in lightwave, with hypervoxels? any tuts out there that anyone knows about?

ok that was 2 questions :)

thanks, anna

HowardM
01-12-2004, 07:11 PM
MD will work if you have the patience to tweak it.
Or you could bone the letters and animate them that way...
or you could do both!
:)

3dgirl
01-12-2004, 08:02 PM
yeah it's just hard to get things like bounces to look right when you manually keyframe I've found, i was hoping to leave that up to the computer to calculate!

HowardM
01-12-2004, 08:07 PM
have you read up about using MD and Hard bodies?
search here and on Cgtalk and on the old Newtek board (http://forums.newtek.com/discus/)

if you have patience and can figure out the insanity known as MD settings, you can pull it off.

also look at THESE (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69032) and play with them, tweak them...if I can get water to snap back and 'bounce' with ripples, you can make some letters bounce!

it takes time, patience and lots of beer!

actually it takes planning when you model, you need clean subd objects....and scale is an issue, one setting in MD wont work at a different scale.
and finally tweak and test, tweak and test...the only way to kind of understand MD.

3dgirl
01-12-2004, 09:54 PM
yeah I've been relying on that page to guide me through MD! I realised my main problem was not having enough geometry.

now I've got some fairly realistic letter effects going on- unfortunately too realistic, they hit the ground, wobble and fall over, (they are quite tall skinny letters), rather than bouncing around joyfully.

well i don't have time to play around with it anymore (on air on friday- heard about it today), back to keyframing for now i think!

I love your little MD examples i shall be having a look at them shortly when the time pressure's over- thanks!!

HowardM
01-12-2004, 10:14 PM
Thanks!

yeah MD is tough unless youve got days to play with it.
sometimes though you strike it gold, like I did with those water settings.

Here is a QT test (http://www.3dink.com/waterh.mov) that I tried out...the animation itself is simple movement, not bones so it sucks, but you get the idea.
its tough to get the right balance in MD...either your object moves too fast or the bounce is too slow...etc...
but maybe some tweaking of THIS SCENE (http://www.3dink.com/waterh.zip) will get you in the right direction...
..that is if you want to make balloon animals in MD?
:)I dont think trying to make Flubber in LW for cheap is easy!

I hope to god LW8 is easier to tweak and has more presets than Cotton, Silk, Rubber, Jelly!!!!!!!!!!!

SamuraiSlayer
01-12-2004, 10:34 PM
i don't kno nothing about MD or anything like that, but the way I do it is morphing: Just make the letters in their different stages and morph between them. Here's something I threw together real quick (used morphing)

SamuraiSlayer
01-12-2004, 10:38 PM
sorry it didn't post but nm

Dodgy
01-13-2004, 04:15 AM
Use MD but using 'Hold structure' instead of sub structure. The geometry will stay linked to the object so you can animate the base object, and it won't flop around freely. It should be easier to handle then. Just keyframe a basic movement, then have MD have it wobble around. Easy peasy!

HowardM
01-13-2004, 09:04 AM
easy? yeah right!

Dodgy
01-13-2004, 12:18 PM
Here you go, just a quick example of how to do it. Plus look in the L:\Scenes\_Features\ParticleFX2\FXcollisioncupswis h.lws for a swishing cup effect.

HowardM
01-13-2004, 12:27 PM
cool, but your cage isnt there or something, cant get the .mdd to load right, of course its because .mdd in 7.5 is buggy!
anyway, using the cage totally works!
good idea!

3dgirl
01-13-2004, 02:41 PM
thanks both of you!!you were right-using hold structure & keyframing instead of substructure totally stopped the letter from falling over. I couldn't get your example scene to work either unfortunately- what's the deal with the cages- how do you use them?

PixelPilot
01-13-2004, 09:47 PM
Bones or morphing didn't work out?

Dodgy
01-14-2004, 04:25 AM
Hmmm, seems to work ok on mine, BUT here's the step to go through to get the letters working.

Run the simulation on the cage object. On the MD Controller panel(with your cage selected), click save, and pick a filename. This save the deformation to an .mdd file.

Select your letter object, and add MD meta plug in the deformation plugins. In the plugin's panel, you'll have to select the .mdd file, and the cage object. This plugin makes the cage act like a deformation lattice on your hi res object. (This'll be easier to do in LW8 with the hard link/metalink plugins! YAY!)

Once you've selected them, the letter object should follow the motion of the cage... Means much quicker calculations!

Mike