PDA

View Full Version : BOB is begining to stink!

timayates
03-09-2003, 03:37 PM
I have had absolutely no luck with the Audio Imputs on Channels 3 and down.

I'm losing a lot of audio signal and if I try to capture footage from those inputs, (say an SVHS Deck) To compensate for the audio loss I'm getting lot's of Buzz..

Anyone else had this problem?

Tim

Faraz
03-09-2003, 05:37 PM
Well levels on the toaster when you capture are kinda low by default but a few tweaks its easy to get unity when you're recording into the Toaster. Just running a signal through the Toaster is right on. If this problem just recently started then I think I would check your settings. It might be a bad BOB, but I really doubt and hope it isn't.

timayates
03-09-2003, 05:42 PM
Any signal that I try to pull in from lines 3 and down are so low they don't really even register on the Audio mixer within VT2.

Is it a bad BOB?

Keith Gandy
03-10-2003, 12:11 AM
Yates, our church finally gave up on going through the bob. Two reasons - To get our peak values it sounded as if it was clipped. Second, we could get enough signal from the audio mixer, but the bob compressed our signal somehow and the highs were gone when we ran through the PA-Mix outputs.

We switched over to another alternative and have a great signal to record or send to overflow rooms at this point. Our solution was to run a second small mixer that takes three input signals: overhead mikes, signal from the audio mixer, VT2 output (video clips) and then runs the resulting output signal to twin/stereo compressors which have a delay function. We delay the audio signal .27 seconds and then everything is synced again.

We run a VT2 output to the audio mixer so that the audio signal of video clips will be broadcast. We do not run the audio mixer signal into the VT2 - so we never run the risk of feedback.

The main drawback of this setup at present is that we will not be able to record/broadcast a live shoot through the VT2. After twelve weeks of bad audio, which frustrated the techies, we completely cut out the audio side of the bob and everyone is happy at present.

What is the source of your audio signal? Can the output from that source be boosted?

vanguard
03-12-2003, 08:02 AM
Our BOB works great (so far) on all inputs, except #1.

Because the pad isn't implemented, or something (like I'm an idiot), we can't use our balanced lines on this input.

How long are the 15-pin lines between the BOB and the computer?

Because the signals travel on these lines, additional length will cause signal loss.

Plus if you are using something less than premium cables, the shielding may be less than adequate. (enter the hum)

If you are on long lines (like over 15') be sure to route them away from parallel power lines (intersect as close to 90deg. as possible) to reduce chances of induced hum.