PDA

View Full Version : Modeling and Animation Billing Rates

akota
01-12-2004, 04:29 PM
Hi all,

I've searched through the forums and found a little info, but I wanted to get a more up to date and focused feel for things. What are people charging for 3D work these days? I know it's a loaded question, there's tons of variables. My focus is mostly logos, titles, simple product mock-ups, like a tube of toothpaste. Not a lot of detailed modeling or fancy fx. Are there any industry accepted norms, like bill per hour for artist, or per second of completed animation? Obviously for modeling only it couldn't be per second of completed animation. What's the going rate?

Jason

Chrysolithos
01-12-2004, 05:17 PM
Well, it depends on your area. Get out the phone book and look for adds for places that do animation. Then call those places up and see if they will give you a price quote on both a simple logo fly-on and something more complex. A figure I was given by a local production house here in the Seattle area was anywhere from $50 to $2000 per finished second, depending on the complexity. Let us know what you find out.

akota
01-12-2004, 07:31 PM
That's what I tried, but there was only one place I could find in my area. They said ~$500 for a simple title.

TheAlienGus
01-13-2004, 10:30 PM
I would say it would depend on you more or less.

I mean here where i live, in Nebraska, a small town.
The only place around here, they will do NOTHING for less than
$ 700. They really stink too, at anything they do . . . .
Some business here in town wanted just a logo banner in flash, this Graphic company wanted $825, it took me less than twenty minutes, and i charged ALOT less than that. And the company has not done business with that Graphic business since. I've done a couple little things for them since, none of it took me more than half an hour.

Going rates i'd say mean very little, it depends on the amount of time you put into it and how good you are at the tool you are going to use. Bad business to over charge.

akota
01-14-2004, 07:36 AM
Thanks for the reply. I agree. The same thing seems to apply to where I live. The one place that I found wouldn't give an hourly rate, only a bid on a job, which is fine. What wasn't fine was their estimated bid. I told them I wanted some 3D models of a fake product and described them as simply acrylic display cases. No animation, just the models. They said they should be able to do that for $500 or so. Something that I could do in a few clicks of the box tool!

akota
01-14-2004, 07:37 AM
They also wanted $500 for a simple title. Seems to be their minimum amount.

Wade
01-14-2004, 11:33 AM
If you have a hard location or storefront to your business you have to charge, and charge going rates. If you are paying 2,000.00 a month for office rent, 20,000.00 a year on equiment and software, 200,000.00 for staff..... If you are professional charge professional rates.

m.d.
01-15-2004, 06:59 PM
i have charged an average of about 80-85$ a finished second...and it seemed a little cheap.took me 3 weeks to knock off a 30 second clip...

Chrysolithos
01-15-2004, 08:24 PM
As you can see, it's not a simple question. I reccomend Buying/Borrowing a copy of Lightwave Applied (version 6.5 & 7) and reading chapter 10: Building an Animation Business. This chapter, written by Joe Tracy*, explains the hard practical facts of starting your own animation business.

pauland
01-16-2004, 02:11 AM
I'm intrigued by the $500 minimum. I can see some people are shocked by the idea.

I've no real experience in this, but I can imagine where it comes from. Much of my time is spent talking to people trying to get them to decide what they want. Attending meetings, on the phone, etc. They think they want one thing, then they don't... So I can imagine $500 is at least a buffer towards that. Time isn't just rendering/modelling/texturing/rigging etc..

So, it might take 20 minutes to do some small peice of work, but it takes a lot longer than that to get the work, agree what is required, do the work, deliver and get the work accepted.

Paul

akota
01-16-2004, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by pauland
I'm intrigued by the $500 minimum. I can see some people are shocked by the idea....

<snip>

So, it might take 20 minutes to do some small peice of work, but it takes a lot longer than that to get the work, agree what is required, do the work, deliver and get the work accepted.

Paul

An excellent comment. I must admit, I had not thought of that when I expressed my sticker shock.