PDA

View Full Version : Network Rendering

Graham Nichols
01-12-2004, 03:28 PM
Experimenting with network rendering before I commit myself to a system for LW and trust clients data with it, I write to enquire what experiences others have had please?

Hardware-wise my limited budget only stretches to 10 x Athlon XP 2800+ (dual-boot Windows XP / Red Hat Linux 8.0) boxes with 512MB DDR400 RAM. What are you guys using, and with what success?

best to all,

Graham

dblanky
01-12-2004, 04:17 PM
Well 10 2800+ should be fine! i only have 3 machines networked 2800 as the main computer and 2 1800, and they work well for me and get the job done.

3D|Dave
01-12-2004, 06:23 PM
For render nodes I would recommend 1GB of Ram each. Also a render manager will be needed as Screamernet is not a manager. It has some basics, but its not meant to manage something larger than two nodes (IMHO).

I use Tequila Scream to manage all of my render nodes.

You can find the link for Tequila at Flay.com

SamuraiSlayer
01-12-2004, 09:41 PM
wow. i have a 1.8 ghz athlon. 512mb ram. and another thing... a 200 mhz pentium1. my computer (the 1.8ghz) renders just fine but do you guyz think it would even help networking it with... the other thing? (the 200mhz.)

wow.

Graham Nichols
01-13-2004, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by 3D|Dave
For render nodes I would recommend 1GB of Ram each. Also a render manager will be needed as Screamernet is not a manager. It has some basics, but its not meant to manage something larger than two nodes (IMHO).

I use Tequila Scream to manage all of my render nodes.

You can find the link for Tequila at Flay.com

Thanks for the memory tip Dave. I wasn't sure about the cpu speed / memory input balance question. Currently it's more economic for me to increase the memory size rather than the cpu power.

Any more input chaps / chapettes?

I've been trying the Amleto render manager (www.rayserver.com) but, by their own admission, it is not yet stable. Alaine told me that they hope to release a new version later this month, which is very encouraging. It's easy to use and will be a very powerful tool after some more work. It's definately the way to go IMHO.

best, Graham

Graham Nichols
01-13-2004, 07:48 AM
Just for hoots I tried an experiment today by running two rendering nodes on the same job. Nne with 512MB and one with 1GB of RAM. It made no difference to the rendering speed. I guess it's just down to cpu cycles. This experiment saved me some cash.

mlinde
01-13-2004, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Graham Nichols
Just for hoots I tried an experiment today by running two rendering nodes on the same job. Nne with 512MB and one with 1GB of RAM. It made no difference to the rendering speed. I guess it's just down to cpu cycles. This experiment saved me some cash. The additional memory is a big issue if you get into multiple large texture maps or complex scenes. However, I think the majority of work can be performed with 512 MB RAM in the render nodes.

trentonia
01-14-2004, 07:54 AM
Or you could save most of your money for something else and use http://www.respower.com

Graham Nichols
01-16-2004, 03:47 PM
Actually, I've just purchased TequilaScream from www.digitaltoons.tv and it works great. So I'm really pleased that I'm back into the running. One of my new boxes has just failed after only two days (drat and double drat Mutley!) and I need to get that fixed. Then, adjust the ram to 1GB each and I'm good to go!

Every cloud has a silver lining. :)