PDA

View Full Version : System kicks out Toaster

Matt Drabick
01-12-2004, 03:15 PM
I have a very strange problem with a church's VT2 system, build 3890. They built the system themselves using the SuperMicro P4DC6+ mobo with a pair of 1.8GHz XEON processors, 1GB of RAM four 36GB Seagate Cheetah SCSI drives, one IDE drive as the system drive and a CD-RW on the same IDE channel. Windows 2000 with SP3 and DirectX 9.0. An older Toaster card with the SX-8. The system works fine as long as they are actively switching or editing. If you don't use the mouse or keyboard after an intermittent amount of time, say 3 or 5 or 10 minutes sometimes, but not all the time, a T2:EXE error is generated and the Toaster software closes but the computer is still running with the Windows 2000 desktop still open and you can open applications, etc.

So, put my Toaster card with its daughtercard and pigtail in their system with their SX-8 -- couldn't find the Toaster driver when my card was installed. Wouldn't install from CD with the Toaster driver on it. Moved my Toaster card to a differeent slot, asked for the Toaster driver, put in a floppy with the Toaster driver, installed the driver and everything worked fine for hours.

Thought it was a driver problem. Put their Toaster card back in their PC with their SX-8. Worked okay, then one time only got the T2:EXE error and closed Toaster. But worked fine after that for days.

Put their Toaster card in my demo system with my PC and SX-8. Worked fine for days, no error messages. Decided to put my VT card and SX-8 in their PC and their VT and SX-8 and my PC, worked fine all morning today. Put their Toaster card and BOB back in their PC. Put my Toaster card and BOB back in my PC. Opened both systems to BIOS and checked systems. Mostly the same.

Relaunched their system with their VT2 and BOB in their PC. Left it on for one hour, no problems. Shut down and relaunched again for one hour. No problems. Convinced myself the system was somehow fixed. So . . . turned their system on again one more time and . . . it generated error messages and closed the Toaster. And did it again and again. After days of working just fine.

Thought about this. . . their PC has the intrusion switch on the front of case working. Have taped it closed to make the system work. Put the lid back thinking the problem was related to the switch. Doesn't matter . . . sometimes generate the error messages with the front panel on, sometimes with it off and the switch tape closed.

One of the error messages relates to the Toaster . . . the others don't. Error message stated "NewTekRTME service failed to start due to the following error . . . a device attached to the system is not functioning."

Don't think it is heat related. Have had their system on all day Friday with no problems.

Does anyone have ideas I should try. I have run out of them at this point.

Matt Drabick,
DigiTek Systems
Raleigh, NC
919-790-5488

Jim Capillo
01-12-2004, 03:42 PM
Let's see if I followed this correctly..... several times you swapped out your VT card and theirs and it ran OK and then you got errors after swapping back to the original machine? You never got errors from their card while it was in your machine? But yet your card wasn't recognized when you installed it in their box?

Sounds like errors from their mob. Have you checked for a flash BIOS upgrade? Did you try stripping down their machine to just the bare minimums (remove all other cards)?

RAM check?

Real weird..... but it doesn't really sound like the VT card, especially since theirs worked in your box.

:confused:

dml
01-13-2004, 05:29 AM
Jim, thanks for the thoughts. . . .

Customer is a computer tech . . . says he ran a RAM check on the system before sending it to me.

Nothing to remove from this system . . . no FireWire card, just the Toaster card.

BIOS flash? I will have to check on that.

Agreed that it is something related to the PC, just don't know what. Really hoping someone else has encountered this problem and can offer some helpful advice.

What is really so frustrating is that the system ran fine for several days before generating errors again. If I can't consistently generate the problem it makes it extremely difficult to know if I have fixed the problem or not.

Matt Drabick,
DigiTek Systems
Raleigh, NC

Ivan
01-13-2004, 06:45 AM
The first problem you describe almost sounds like a power setting or screensaver trying to come on. I usually get rid of that first. The other problem I'm not sure about. It may need a reinstall but I would check the bios and strip the machine to basics like Jim mentioned.

Ivan

Matt Drabick
01-13-2004, 08:29 AM
The very first thing I checked was power settings and screen savers . . . not the problem. But thanks for the suggestion.

This problem is intermittent . . . can leave system on for hours with no problems. Next time error occurs in three minutes.

Matt Drabick,
DigiTek Systems
Raleigh, NC

Matt Drabick
01-13-2004, 10:02 AM
Thanks to a suggestion by NewTek tech support, discovered that the video drive (four 36GB SCSI drives) was completely full, literally 0 bytes free.

Have deleted a large file from the video drive and am waiting for the results. Keeping my finger crosssed!

Matt Drabick,
DigiTek Systems
Raleigh, NC
919-790-5488

dml
01-15-2004, 01:28 PM
Have duplicated this same error on my demo system . . . full up the video drive completely and system will generate error messages and close the Toaster software.

Matt Drabick,
DigiTek Systems
Raleigh, NC