PDA

View Full Version : Fireworks

3dgirl
01-12-2004, 01:35 PM
hi guys!

I'm about to embark on my first fireworks expedition in lightwave and was wondering if anyone could point me to any tutorials or give me any pointers on how to go about this. I haven't really used particle FX much before, and don't have time figure it out for myself from scratch!

I found this preset on preset central but can't for the life of me figure out where to add it or what to add it to- it's a .pst for firworks- here is the link:

http://www.presetcentral.com/presets/results.html?keywords=fireworks

if anyone could tell me where to add it to I'd appreciate it!!

thanks, anna

prospector
01-12-2004, 01:57 PM
LW>Programs>Presets>VLight Editor>VLight Preset>Workspace
Workspace or where you want in those folders.

Fireworks.
Couple of easy ways

In modeler make a ball of points (spray points)
Save as Point cloud

Layout
load point cloud
Under Scene tab open Volumetrics
Click Add volumetrics
click hypervoxels
double click hyprervoxels in little menu below
Panel opens up
double click point cloud in list
click on preset tab on left of main window.
find where you put the new PST (auto opens to Workspace, which is why I said put there)

double click on it
answer yes
answer yes
close all the little windows
click Item tab
click size on left
size to '0' (this can be typed in the 3 little spaces on bottom of left columb (says scale))
click 'create key' and do 0
slide frame marker to frame 60
make size 100 (or whatever you want)
click 'create key' 60
slide frame marker to frame 30
click 'move' on left
move point cloud up to top of screen.
create key '30'
done

now when you play it should go from nothing to a growing cloud of little fireworks going up, then falling as it gets bigger.

Render out.

3dgirl
01-12-2004, 03:05 PM
thanks!!

i found i had to add the pst into the hypervoxels workspace folder rather than the vlights folder for it to show up...?

when i render it out it doesn't look like it does on the preset picture, looks more like lots of little white dots (a little bit streaked if i put motion blur on) with some purple bits in there....

Jaffro
01-12-2004, 03:55 PM
HEY :D thats my preset :) hehe I'll make an example scene for you, if i can remember how i done it back then! :S will post again soon!

prospector
01-12-2004, 04:25 PM
Might have to size the HVs a bit in the HV panel (where you added them by clicking on the preset button).

OOPs, sorry bout that...thought it was a point lite setting:(

Jaffro
01-12-2004, 05:08 PM
Probably should've used a vlight, might've given me a few more options!

3dgirl, ive attached the scene here. Its done 100% with particles and hv sprites. Unfortunatly (because i didn't think at the time it would be a preset) a lot of it is based on time, so you'll need to adjust the envolpes (the 'E' next to a value) to match the timing of your firework - takes a bit of trouble :( Also, as with most presets you'll have to tweek a load to get it working right. I hope the scene gives a good example - i cant even get the best out of the preset!

3dgirl
01-12-2004, 05:52 PM
fantastic!! thank you!

HowardM
01-12-2004, 06:10 PM
Tweak these HERE in this post (http://forums.newtek.com/discus/messages/2/37858.html?) and you can get great fireworks like THIS QT (http://www.3dink.com/4thtest.mov)
:)

Jaffro
01-13-2004, 05:15 AM
woo, quality fireworks there howard!

prospector
01-13-2004, 06:05 AM
HowardM, did you aver get the full tut out?

HowardM
01-13-2004, 08:06 AM
sorry never got to it..time time time...but if you load the test scene you can break it down...or I can break it down for you if you have questions.

Capt Lightwave
01-13-2004, 12:06 PM
Sorry to bother you, Howard, but Lightwave crashes when loading the emit.pfx file...can you post some screengrabs of the settings istead? or a new pfx-file...

HowardM
01-13-2004, 12:13 PM
hmmm, what version of LW? shouldnt do that. you may need to reinstall your plugins?
try this, open the scene in notepad and replace all my C:/.... with your directory...that way it will load without asking where the pfx is or screw up.

Or does it not even make it that far?

hmm...if you can load in, and it says cant find the pfx but loads the rest of the scene fine, then just hit fxStart to make your own!
just make sure you save out the Sparks pfx, and load it in for BOTH 'Sparks' and 'SparksGlow'! the 'Trails' emitter can be on the fly, and the 'Emitter' is just the parent that is spawning everything, so it can be on the fly (fxstart) for now.

works fine otherwise here - anyone else have probs?

Capt Lightwave
01-13-2004, 12:23 PM
7.5c

I'm loading the pfx-files manually.
emitsparks.pfx loads but emit.pfx craches.

I can't load it on a new emitter either, but I can see what you're going for....nice ;)

HowardM
01-13-2004, 12:29 PM
ya thats ok, emit.pfx doesnt really matter.
what matters is the Sparks and Sparks Glow need match up...so plain old FXstart wont work for them unless saved out and both are loaded with the same PFX. ya? :) I know, I make ya work for it eh?

so, you have Sparks and SparksGlow parented to Emitter.
Trails is parented to Sparks.

Emitter spawns Sparks/SparksGlow, while Trail leaves particles behind. you can add more or control how long the 'trail' lasts with gradients or more particles (but if you reach PFX limit of 100000 you need to add a clone and start it when the first ends)

This can be tweaked for hundreds of things like even drawing with HVs or SplineGods growing vines, to even good smoke (look up Pepitos smoke on CGtalk or here?)

Child emitters!

Simple once you get it eh? :)

Capt Lightwave
01-13-2004, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by HowardM
Simple once you get it eh? :)

Sure it is, and it looks soooo darn cool.

And the best part is how much FUN it is to tweek settings and see the results....man, I love LightWave.

HowardM
01-13-2004, 12:52 PM
Yep! :D
Like I said, try unorthodox things and get some cool results!

Try this - Parent the Sparks to a null and violently spin it and tweak the particles so they dont die....you can get some cool 'trendwhore' hv images that way...

prospector
01-13-2004, 01:30 PM
mine won't load emitsparks.pfx or emit.pfx.:( WUAHHH!!!

just renders a blue screen

How did you manually do it?

prospector
01-13-2004, 01:39 PM
WOOHOO
got it.
Just had to backread a bit.
now to play:)

yesdnil1003
06-17-2004, 12:30 PM
i tried to follow alot of what was posted. The preset at the beginning of this posted is not available anymore. I used hypervoxels with a so so sparkle preset to create the firework...but i cant find a preset that makes it actually "look" like a firework..can anyone help? how do I make that smokey fizzle out thing at the end....I'm in need of a way quick.

thanks!