PDA

View Full Version : Feeder Deck

GregGerlach
01-12-2004, 11:01 AM
I'm considering getting a Panasonic AG-DV2500 to use as a feeder deck. Was wondering if anyone has any feedback regarding the overall quality and perfromance of this deck and how compatible it is with VT-3's batch capture, particularly the RS-422 interface.

Greg Gerlach
Lexington, KY

Jim Capillo
01-12-2004, 11:25 AM
There was at least one person here who was using the -2500 with a strange problem..... when recording back to the deck using Y/C, the deck went into psuedo 16:9 mode (Black bars on top/bottom) even though he was sending a NTSC signal out. I don't think it's ever been resolved, but it was enough for me to buy the JVC BR-DV3000U, seemingly its twin, albeit with a black case.

That deck works fine.

GregGerlach
01-12-2004, 01:21 PM
Have you used the JVC deck for batch capture via RS-422 and if so, how reliable and accurate is it? You're right, the front panels (other than the color) are nearly identical between the Panasonic and JVC... there's gotta be some kind of connection there. I have put in a call to a Panasonic sales engineer to see if he can shed some light on this.

Jim Capillo
01-12-2004, 02:03 PM
I can't get it to work via 422, but it works fine via firewire control (I just select the Y/C input as opposed to DV). I haven't screwed around with 422 in the past few days (I've got a bad cold), but I'm pretty sure it's something I'm doing (or not) in the 422 hookup.

GregGerlach
01-13-2004, 09:23 AM
My contact at Panasonic tells me that the BR-DV3000u and the AG-DV2500 are indeed the same deck with only cosmetic differences (color/face plate). Panasonic is to some extent a parent company to JVC. Just curious... does your DV3000 have the feel of a pro deck when shuttling/jogging, etc.? Any problem with dropouts?

johnq
01-13-2004, 11:01 AM
You might want to check out the JVC BRD-DV600UA deck. It is in closeout status and only uses the mini DV tape. It does have TC display and component I/0. I think I saw one at www.adorama.com for about $1900.

John

Jim Capillo
01-13-2004, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by GregGerlach
Just curious... does your DV3000 have the feel of a pro deck when shuttling/jogging, etc.? Any problem with dropouts?

Well, it doesn't have the feel of a Betacam deck, if that's what you mean, but it works fine with the VT..... I haven't had any problems with it.

No dropouts, either..... but I use new tapes on every shoot.

RBernards
01-13-2004, 10:14 PM
Greg,

You are correct, the decks are identical other than the
color.
I initially bought it thinking I was going to
use the RS422 for batch capture.
But my converter cable is bad so I've been using
firewire-Y/C or just firewire-DV and it works fine.
I just finished several long length projects from
DVCAM and didn't notice any dropouts. (and I look for them)

The feel of a "pro" deck? More like a "pro" sumer deck.
It is a good value though, IMHO.

I just found out my deck is in need of a firmware
update to fix the curious "16:9 widescreen" problem when
using the Y/C record in from the T3.

After I get it update I would consider selling it as I may no
longer have a need for it.
Let me know if you are interested.
(recent career change, video is more of a hobby now.)

Rick

mgrusin
01-14-2004, 11:22 AM
I just finished several long length projects from DVCAM and didn't notice any dropouts. (and I look for them)
Can the AG-DV2500 read/write DVCAM tapes? I was under the impression that was a Sony format.

Thanks, -MG.

RBernards
01-14-2004, 02:12 PM
It plays back DVCAM large and small cassettes and keeps
the time code intact. It was the reason I bought it.
I recently pumped over 80 hours of DVCAM out of it
with no problems.

It does NOT record to DVCAM but since there is no
technical difference between it and regular DV
I master back to regular DV large cassettes.

tfrank
01-14-2004, 02:48 PM
There IS a difference between DV and DVcam on two different levels. The first being the technical aspects of the record/play processes which are essentially transparent to the user. The second and more important difference is tape formulation. Not wanting to hi-jack this thread, but please be careful about running dvcam tapes and other tapes formulated for the SONY DV format in Panasonic DV machines. About 3 to 4 years ago, I drilled through the Panasonic organization via phone with the help of our equipment supplier, to talk to an engineer in the US who helped to develop the format. It was somewhat of a revelation that eventually saved major dollars. We had made a substantial investment in Panasonic DVCpro and DV equipment and were suffering pre-mature head failures. The first thing that he said was, "don't run DV tape in a DVCpro deck". The DV formulation is more abrasive than the DVCpro formulation. The second thing he said was, "don't run any tape in a Panasonic DV machine that isn't formulated for that machine". In this case, the SONY DV formulation is more abrasive. It will work, but over a period of time, you will start to have head problems. You can use Panasonic DV tape on a SONY deck with no problems. By the way, he said that you can play/record on DVCpro tapes on the 2500 as long as they are factory fresh. He is right! Don't know why you would want to...but it works.

RBernards
01-14-2004, 03:06 PM
tfrank,

I was referring to the video resolution/color sample of the
DV formats, DV, DVCAM and DVCPro. These specs are identical.

You are correct that the different tape formulations can cause problems. But tape formulations have changed since the first
crop of tapes hit the market specifically to address some of the
issues you mention.
We had many problems with some of the early tape formulations
when mixed together for playback on various decks.

Both Panasonic and JVC use the DVCAM playback capabilities
as one of their selling points for these decks.

GregGerlach
01-14-2004, 03:06 PM
Has anyone done any significant VT3 batch capturing with either the BR-DV3000u or AG-DV2500 using the RS-422 interface? Any problems?

Greg Gerlach

JonCrowe
01-15-2004, 09:57 PM
I have to respectfully disagree with tfrank. First of all the AG-DV2500 will not play DVCPro tapes or record on DVCPro tape. If it did I doubt Panasonic would sell any more AJ-D230's. DVCPro tape is a metal particle tape. DV and DVCam is a non-metal oxide tape. In fact the only real difference between DV and DVCam is tape speed. (DVCam runs faster) However, you can record DV on a DVCam tape, I've done so in the BR-DV3000 (same deck as the AG-DV2500) and in the GY-DV5000 camcorder. This was during a time when large size DV cassettes were hard to come by, and DVCam tapes were readily available. As far as mixing tape types (sony vs. panasonic, etc.) there might have been one specific exception a long time ago, but that's not the case now. In fact, the deck in question (the AG-DV2500) will only accept the tape types it can play back, which are DV and DVCam. The same also goes with the DVCPro decks. That's part of the selling point of DVCPro decks is that they can play back DV, DVCam, and DVCPro. So to go by the quote listed in your post: "don't run DV tape in a DVCPro deck" would be silly. The decks are designed to play back all 3 formats.

tfrank
01-16-2004, 08:59 AM
Jonathan,
I love this forum, because it allows people with different viewpoints to air their ideas and thoughts and for the reader to pick & choose what information they can use! Sorry, but as I stated before---as a test to follow up on my conversation with a PANASONIC Engineer, I DID TAKE a factory fresh---never been used---- DVCpro tape, insert it into a AG-DV-2500 and was able to record and playback on that deck. And as a response to my comments that I was told that you should not play back DV tapes on a DVCpro deck...even though our decks came with a cassette adapter, I'll stand by my conversation with the person who helped develop the format and our own repair bills. After 28 years of buying equipment and producing content, I've discovered that there is a big difference bewteen sales and marketing claims and reality at times. That's why we purchased the 2500. :)

RayLarson
01-16-2004, 09:06 AM
Just a note that we have been using DVCPro tapes in our DV2000 for over a year. The additional time at SP makes it a worthwhile deal for some content. Of course it will not playback on a DVCPro deck. Also, here at the public access studio I manage, I run lots of mini-dv playback on a DVCPro deck with the adapter.

Just my .02 and worth every penny