PDA

View Full Version : Is Lightwave 8 worth the upgrade price?

jay003
01-10-2004, 08:39 PM
I have seen the videos and screen shots of lightwave 8, I admit that everything it shows is pretty cool. But is it worth the upgrade price when just about all of it can be done one way or another now?

I have to say that I am disappointed if this all the big stuff.

cresshead
01-11-2004, 05:42 AM
you can only really evaluate the prospect of upgrading to 8 when the full feature list has been posted.the one there is only a tentative list of features with no real expansive explanations of those features...there are more featurs to be added BTW.

i'd say be what i have seen at siggraph and on protons video's that for "me" the upgrade is def worth it, and have already pre paid for lw8 and have a digital fusion + sat by the side of me too.

many of the things your seeing are workflow enhancements like the ik boost..you can already ik up a character in lightwave but it can take from 20 mins to a couple of days..ik boost does it with a couple of mouse clicks...say 5 seconds...which is a huge step in getting your character from a static model to a fully rigged ready to animate model.

other things like bone dynamics are new and cannot be done in lw7.x

Dodgy
01-11-2004, 06:23 AM
What do you mean 'all of it can be done one way or another right now'?

There are going to be other little features added but this is the bulk of it. You can't do hard body dynamics in LW without a paid for plugin, which is almost the upgrade price on it's own. If that and the other features in it aren't enough then don't buy it. The only person who can convince you after seeing all that is you.

gjjackson
01-11-2004, 09:53 AM
I haven't seen anything yet that is worth the upgrade, since I use After Effects and MotionBuilder, so I can already do most of what the new features have. I also have the plugins that Newtek has bought out and now no longer available otherwise. I also have Spider network rendering and recently it is no longer available for download. So I'm wondering if Newtek bought that out also. I Would consider the upgrade if there's substantial improvement in rendering, viper, better OpenGL support etc. It'll be much easier to decide once they give a Complete list of all the new features and enhancements.

cresshead
01-11-2004, 11:54 AM
from your response i think that you aren't an animator who wants to animate in lightwave but would rather animate in motion builder which is a good option but i decided that i'd prefer to stay in one app if possible and lightwave 8 will give me that ability with some great features...i did think long n hard about motion builder as there was a great DEAL for motion builder before xmas..horses for courses really what you'd gain in motion builder is offset with import/exporting to your prefered app alot for rendering.

bone dynamics look interesting..still if you prefer motionbuilder/lightwave 7.x combination then that's your solution that works for you.

time will tell if lw8 is the upgrade then many people hope for.

Matt
01-12-2004, 02:48 AM
One word - Yes! :)

robewil
01-12-2004, 10:15 AM
But is it worth the upgrade price when just about all of it can be done one way or another now? If you really think about it, this has always been the case. Although it sure wouldn't be practical in many areas, you could, at least, in theory, do just about everything in Lightwave 1.0 that you could with 7.5. (I'm not recommending this however):)