PDA

View Full Version : What is best video card for Mac-dp OSX

hokeypokey
03-09-2003, 12:47 PM
Can anyone please tell me what the best 3d video card is for the Mac 1gig dp, running OSX?

mlinde
03-12-2003, 04:35 PM
The one you need :)

Actually, this is really a difficult subject. At this point, the best card may be a second-hand GeForce 3. If you are running 10.2.x that isn't 10.2.3, the ATI 8500 may be good for you. If you have $400 burning a hole in your pocket and you don't mind getting less than what you pay for, the GeForce 4 Ti is (on the outside) an amazing card.

If you have the stock GeForce 2 or 4 MX, these cards could give you better performance:
ATI Radeon 8500
ATI Radeon 9700 (if it ever ships)
NVidia GeForce 3
NVidia GeForce 4 Ti

I say could give you better performance because frankly, the Apple supplied video drivers could be better for all of these cards. Their comparable PC versions are much faster, more stable, and better utilized than the Mac versions, sadly.

cremegg
03-12-2003, 07:09 PM
ATI 9700/9800, admitedly these cards aren't available 'yet' but as the ATI 9700 is now a BTO option for Power Macs it shouldn't be much longer till we see after market releases of the 9700/9800. ATI are currently putting alot of resources into driver development so we will likely see the 9700/9800 when these drivers are released. I wil then be upgrading my Apple OEM GeForce 3 :D .

As mlinde said the GeForce 3 would be excellent Value if you can get hold of one and your need is immediate.

I wouldn't waste your money on a GeForce 4Ti as the ATI 9700/9800 is likely to cost the same (based on the BTO prices) and yet perform much better.

Personally I think ATI is the smarter way to go at present. The driver updates for after market cards have been excellent and even better offerings are on the way I understand. Where as it took 2 or 3 OS updates from Apple to get FSAA working with the GeForce 3.

Also consider the ATI 9000, which gives performance comparable to the GeForce 3 and the ATI 8500.