PDA

View Full Version : Help to acheive effect

RayLarson
01-10-2004, 07:21 AM
Trying to duplicate an effect where the video is black & white and only one color is seen. I know I saw it done on the toaster during a demo. Want it for a wedding demo I am producing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Paul Lara
01-10-2004, 09:00 AM
You can do it in Aura using the Color Eraser, Ray.

RayLarson
01-10-2004, 12:07 PM
Any toutorial out there for it. I am a little green with Aura

:rolleyes:

Jim_C
01-10-2004, 12:24 PM
Page 8-11 of VT3 manual or 8.23 of VT2 Aura manual.

Its pretty easy.
Load clip with pre load(if the clip is long, go to lunch and let it load)

Open Filters-color-color eraser
Click preview box then start palying with settings.
There is not that many so you'll see the changes they make quick.
Sometimes you have to invert.
Sometimes its best to remove one color at a time
sometimes its best to remove everything except the color you want to leave.

When ready to apply
You should have the layer panel open also which will show your clip like a film strip.
Choose auto fit to layer then double click just below the film strip to select the entire clip.
Or choose layer-select all layer.
then when layer is selected hit Apply on color eraser box.

hope that helped

jim

SBowie
01-10-2004, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by RayLarson
Any toutorial out there for it. I am a little green with Aura

Ralph's Color Eraser Tute (http://www.toasterdudes.com/Tutorials.html)

deejay
01-11-2004, 06:14 PM
This is easy to do (and much faster) in VT-Edit.
I giving you these instructions from memory so I hope I don't leave anything out.
Place a clip on the TL ........ clone it ...... place clone under first clip and overlay it.
On the first clip turn all of the saturation off so that it's greyscale.
On the overlayed clip turn on the 'chroma keyer' and pick the color you want to show on the greyscale clip. You have to adjust the 'tolerance' (even going into negative numbers) till you see only the color you want.
That's it!
BTW you can have more than one color by just cloning the clip again and overlaying it and turning on the chroma keyer etc, etc, etc.

RayLarson
01-12-2004, 07:05 AM
Thanks to everyone.....I will be giving all the suggestions a try, although I am liking the one sent by deejay. Hopefully I will get this mastered this week. I will post results.

SBowie
01-12-2004, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by deejay
This is easy to do (and much faster) in VT-Edit.
You know, you just reminded me of something... this can be done LIVE using the switcher:

B-Key thread link (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9046)

deejay
01-12-2004, 07:37 AM
Ray,
Here's another hot tip to the one I posted earlier.

Let's say you want only the pink flowers to show color in a shot but there happens to be a woman with a pink dress in the background.

You simply crop the overlayed clip to just include the flowers and all is well.

Jim_C
01-12-2004, 08:59 AM
Although doing it in Toaster Edit is much quicker sometimes, you will not get anywhere near the clean results you would get using Aura. Sometimes acceptable, sometimes not.

There is something to be said for rendering.

jim

deejay
01-12-2004, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Jim_C
Although doing it in Toaster Edit is much quicker sometimes, you will not get anywhere near the clean results you would get using Aura. Sometimes acceptable, sometimes not.

There is something to be said for rendering.

Hmmm... Jim I just tried it both ways and honestly I had better results with the editor. Maybe it's the clip I'm using in this case. However, I still would recommend trying the editor first just for the sake of speed even if a person is proficient in Aura ... in fact I love Aura so much I bought Mirage (which overcomes many speed issues)!

bradl
01-12-2004, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by deejay
This is easy to do (and much faster) in VT-Edit. That's an old trick from the linear on-line days (which we still do). I tried it with VT keying on the talents tie. It worked great. Just get a good ChromaKey on the color then change the Key Tolerance to a negative and you're set.

Nice tip deejay!

Jim_C
01-12-2004, 11:01 AM
Yea, probably just that graph really helps me get picky.

If the tool works use it.