PDA

View Full Version : Any new news on NewtekPro?

ScorpioProd
01-10-2004, 01:24 AM
Just wondering if there have been any new developments...

I realize it's not actually affiliated with Newtek, but hey, Newtek is in the name, and I'm still out the money I put into it over a year ago with NO issues since...

Jim Capillo
01-10-2004, 04:16 AM
Didn't Stranahan take it over? Haven't seen him around these parts in quite a while..... :confused:

Scott Bates
01-10-2004, 06:47 AM
Didn't Stranahan take it over?
Nope, last I saw he said that didn't work out and wasn't going to. Appears that our subscription $$ disappeared down a black hole never to be seen again.

prospector
01-10-2004, 07:15 AM
yea..Newtek Pro went to the big magazine repository in the sky.

mgrusin
01-10-2004, 10:10 AM
Too bad - At least the Tim Bucks came in handy.

-MG.

Jim_C
01-10-2004, 10:35 AM
Yea, Those covers made dynamite eye candy on the coffee table.

Well, still do but all my guests have been there done that with Firefly and The Wedding Issue.

I've had to replace with 'Wired'

ScorpioProd
01-10-2004, 08:22 PM
I just bought the DVD collection of Firefly, it's on its way! :)

And besides the show, which I loved, there's supposed to be some good behind-the-scenes features on the CGI work.

pixeltek
01-13-2004, 09:48 AM
I too just wondered what's up with the Mag. I tried to contact the editorial staff, and got this reply:

(Unable to relay for [email protected])... User unknown

Not a good sign, at least for now. Lee was to have taken over, but is probably being overwhelmed with his training tour involvement, as well as beta testing LW8 (probably few better suited for the job). Hence, I assume the mag is down for the count.

There's always Keyframe, though the last issue of it didn't do much for me. Sadly, Lee gave that one up as well, after turning it into a class act. Dan, god love him, is another one of those ultra busy people, heavily engaged in his own LW-related endeavors.

ScorpioProd
01-13-2004, 10:19 PM
Heck, if there's no replacement mag coming, I'd be happy if they sent Keyframe instead.

Liber777
01-14-2004, 09:22 AM
Or at least send us all some Tim bucks! They must have a stack of those laying around somewhere. I'm just glad I only ordered ONE unfulfilled subscription. I very nearly ordered a friend a subscription as a gift....!

Stivan

pixeltek
01-14-2004, 09:42 AM
scorpio - they couldn't do that, because the publishers have nothing in common.

Liber - The Tim bucks were a promotional deal from Newtek, provided by them as a subscription incentive. Because of that, Newtek would have to approve such a disbursement, even though I think that would be cool. Bring that one to Newtek management's (Bravo, in particular) attention, and if the are convinced that the mag is truly dead, they might even agree to some such amicable closure.

sywitt
01-16-2004, 07:10 AM
If I'm not wrong, Dick and Molly did the VT3 manuals after the mag went bust. The thing that saddens and surprises me the most is their complete silence on the matter. Then again, maybe there's just nothing to say.

Liber777
01-16-2004, 07:27 AM
A simple explaination would be welcome.

Bobt
01-16-2004, 08:09 AM
Hard to admit complete colapse.
I am sure they had hopes of rebuilding and
it just didnt happen. Then comes the what do
we do now stage. After thats over ya just dont know
how to tell people the $ is spent and we cant fufill
the orders. Ahh well.

On a brighter note how about a ezine in PDF form maybe
run by a small group of users. Subscription basis to pay
some people to write a few things for it.

What ya think?

Bob

Liber777
01-16-2004, 08:17 AM
PDF would definitely be a good idea. Gives the subscriber something to hang on to, which you don't get typically with a web publication.

~Stivan

SBowie
01-17-2004, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by sywitt

If I'm not wrong, Dick and Molly did the VT3 manuals after the mag went bust. The thing that saddens and surprises me the most is their complete silence on the matter. Then again, maybe there's just nothing to say. You are correct about the manuals, and maybe your last point, too.

I certainly can't presume to speak for anyone involved; but I will say that Dick and Molly poured heart and soul into a very classy production (as with everything they do) for several years. I'm inclined to think that, having 'passed the torch' for whatever reasons, they left communication to their successors.

There's probably a lot they could say, but they may have in mind Winnie the Pooh's famous maxim -- "If you can't say something nice... "

pixeltek
01-18-2004, 08:25 AM
SBowie

I certainly agree with all you've said, but as nice as Dick and Molly are, since there are apparently no successors, I believe that they have the responsibility to their (probably mostly repeat)subscribers, who they encouraged to send their money, to let them (us) know the state of the situation. Silence, however well meant, is insufficient here. We are still dealing with an unfulfilled contract, of which they are one of the parties. The least we are owed for our money is information.

SBowie
01-19-2004, 06:13 AM
Well, the succesor(s) may not be much in evidence, but they did step up to the plate, grab the torch, lay claim to the throne .... publicly, more than once, both here and elsewhere. Once they had done that, were I in Dick and Molly's shoes, I'd have said my last word on the subject. As have I :)

jorbedo
03-23-2004, 12:53 AM
Friday night I posted a message about where to send emails and claims to attrack some attention to this crime, it's a crime and they have to pay, this is non-delivering of goods or products, and they took money orm a lot of people.

They took my posting about where to report to the FBI, Texas general attorney and the FTC, they commited a crime and now Newtek doesn't want the people know what they can do to report this criminals?.

NewTek users, you can report the NewTek Pro company to:

http://www.ifccfbi.gov/cf1.asp

Texas Attorney General email:
[email protected]

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/alerts/877alrt.htm

JB

Ivan
03-23-2004, 07:54 AM
Unfortunately sometimes business go under. This does not make it fraud. I am fairly sure that their intention was to make it work but financially they were not able to for whatever reason. The fact that the put out a number of issues and the issues that they delivered were very good quality is evidence that they were working in good faith. It is to bad some people lost money that they spent on a subscription and I hope they do get something eventually but even if they don't, it will be difficult to prove fraud. I think the fact that they have been trying to get the magazine published again is evidence that they did not set out to rip people off. If you decide to go the class action route, good luck. It is a great way to punish them and get 12 cents of your own money back since the attornies will get the other 6.5 millon (and you thought you felt screwed before!). Well worth it I think.

It's rough but I lose more money than that in the stock market in a couple of minute. Put it in perspective and move on.

I have no connection with Newtek or Newtek Pro except that I enjoy the product and I have every copy of Newtek Pro.

Ivan

erikk
03-23-2004, 08:17 AM
People seem to forget that Newtek IS involved in this magazine. If it were a separate entity, why would Newtek have the registration for their Web site? I've removed the individual's name and phone numbers from the following out of courtesy, but anyone can get this info by doing a WhoIs search on www.newtekpro.com. So their magazine went boom, the company is still in place, and not in bankruptcy.

From WhoIs:

Domain name: newtekpro.com

Administrative Contact:
NewTek
8200 IH 10 West
Suite 900
San Antonio, TX 78230
US

Billing Contact:
NewTek
8200 IH 10 West
Suite 900
San Antonio, TX 78230
US

Technical Contact:
NewTek
8200 IH 10 West
Suite 900
San Antonio, TX 78230
US

Registrant Contact:
NewTek
8200 IH 10 West
Suite 900
San Antonio, TX 78230
US

Ivan
03-23-2004, 08:36 AM
Just playing devils advocate here but the fact that Newtek owns the Domain does not mean that they have anything to do with the magazines problems. They may have purchased the domain to prevent it from being used for a non Newtek site like whitehouse.com. They could have leased the domain to the magazine. I guess I'm not as paranoid as I used to be. You should have seen me rant when my .09 Flyer would playback more than 10 minutes of video but that was 10 years ago and it cost more than a magazine subscription. I already spent more money at my billing rate replying to this than the subscription cost.

Ivan

djlithium
03-29-2004, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Bobt
Hard to admit complete colapse.
I am sure they had hopes of rebuilding and
it just didnt happen. Then comes the what do
we do now stage. After thats over ya just dont know
how to tell people the $ is spent and we cant fufill
the orders. Ahh well.

On a brighter note how about a ezine in PDF form maybe
run by a small group of users. Subscription basis to pay
some people to write a few things for it.

What ya think?

Bob

Bob, I am totally down with this and have even suggested it to a few people but it didn't get anywhere. Using a payloadz.com PDF download system with a file lock on it, its completely doable.
If you are into it I would be up to contributing on a regular basis and web stuff. Might even have a nice fast server to park it too so we can have PDFs with video files and plugs and all other kinds of goodies.

Get back to me vfx at imagecorp.net

Bobt
03-29-2004, 06:45 PM
Hi,
if you are going to be at NAB look me up at the party.
Or anyone else looking to pursue this.
I think it would be a great thing.

Bob

Scott Bates
03-29-2004, 08:05 PM
I won't be at NAB, but I'll buy! :)

djlithium
03-29-2004, 08:19 PM
I wish I could make it down this year...
Trying to get the time off for the next dealer training seminar thingy though in June.

Anyone (dealers) heading down to that who are interested in the e-zine concept?

Anyone want to have an instant messenger meeting on that?

[email protected] is my contact (ballsy giving that out but since half the ravers on the planet have it, why not aliens too.)

djlithium
03-29-2004, 08:31 PM
on another note, who ever does have the administrative control over the domain newtekpro.com please contact me.

I can put a server up on fat pipe where we can do an online magazine faster then screw around with the "who did what and where and all that" question and relaunch the whole thing without any issues except that it would have absolutely NOTHING to do with the people who ran it in the past.

Any takers? NewTek? Where is Chuck Baker when you need him? I am sure he would know.

I am dead serious. I have a rack in SF with 100mbps direct to the net which hosts all of my sites and its 100% controlled by me and me crew black tiger types :)

Seems fitting that when all is said and done, the pros who use newtek hard/software should take over the whole meal deal and put the site into action. Now that's NewTek Pro.

A 50 page magazine with nothing in it (sorry guys but keyframe and newtek pro both blew chunks when ever I got a copy and the people in charge were... well out of touch in more ways than one) so I say let's go with a nice solid web presence, and a subscription fee system where you get all access to the site for 5.00US a month.

Private forums, galleries, tutorials, stream hosting (maybe, that can get really vicious) and a few other doodads like DVE hosting.

If it in the least paid for the bandwidth with the big fat downloads (we get a seriously good rate) and newtek, and some third party types did some advertising it could run very well.

I am ready to go on this now!
Anyone else?

PIZAZZ
03-30-2004, 09:30 AM
I'm interested. Check your email Kel.

archiea
04-23-2004, 01:05 AM
WHAT WAS THAT LOUD CRASHING SOUND!?!?!?!?!?

Oh, it was just a pin dropping........