PDA

View Full Version : AMD's architecture to be the future for Windows

Beamtracer
01-09-2004, 08:09 PM
The architecture behind AMD's 64-bit Opteron processor is known as x86-64, which is a revision of the x86 platform that has been the mainstay of Windows computers for the past decade.

We now know that AMD's x86-64 will be the future for Windows computers. Intel will be adopting AMD's architecture.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/61/34777.html

Intel controlled the x86/Windows platform. It was theirs. Now they've lost it. They will now swallow their pride and adopt AMD's system.

For 12 years, Intel had been working on its Itanium processor, which was to be the replacement for today's 32-bit Pentiums.

Currently the Itanium has only been released in a version for large servers and databases (not for desktop machines). However it was envisaged that an IA-64 processor (one based on Itanium's architecture) would replace current desktop Pentiums and Xeons as well.

Intel's Itanium processor has been a disaster. It will go into history as one of the biggest corporate mistakes of all time, maybe on par with Motorola's Iridium satellite network. It has the potential to drag Hewlett Packard down with it, due to HP's heavy investment in the project.

I believe that these events will give AMD a boost, and create more competition among the processor manufacturers.

hrgiger
01-09-2004, 08:14 PM
I wish this was actually a lightwave forum from time to time for you Beam instead of a constant anti microsoft, anti intel propganda forum.

takkun
01-09-2004, 08:24 PM
Who writes this stuff? This is the quote that the whole article is based on:

"(AMD) is probably not the only company that has thought of that idea. I suspect there will be other companies that come out with (it)."

:rolleyes: talk about reading between the lines!

Actually, if you read the other quotes, it sounds like Dell might start making Opteron servers and workstations. That would be great. It looks like they are just waiting for 64-bit windows to be released.

GruvSyco
01-09-2004, 10:43 PM
well... we all know how reputable the register.co.uk is. Aren't they England's equivalent to the US's National Enguirer.

Beamtracer
01-09-2004, 10:57 PM
hrgiger, I don't think I said anything against Microsoft in this thread. I commented some months ago that MS was running late with their next OS, but they admit that themselves.

I think these are really interesting times. Intel made an error with Itanium, which has given AMD the opportunity to jump in and take some market share. Intel will still do well (they have enough market to share!).

I really think the new competition from AMD will be good for Windows users. It'll even be good for Intel users, as AMD will keep them on their toes. It will force Intel to bring out better products.

Intel always controlled x86. Even Microsoft had to follow what Intel did. I'm wondering how this will change with x86-64. Will AMD call the shots? I don't know.

Ade
01-10-2004, 12:42 AM
Most is true itanium was a flop.
A big flop. But AMD shares intels SSE2 which its own sux.
If MS is using 970 for xbox 2 they need a ppc OS or just use their VPC buyout.
970 clones are coming, but no adobe apps on linux keeps em at bay.

TSpyrison
01-10-2004, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by hrgiger
I wish this was actually a lightwave forum from time to time for you Beam instead of a constant anti microsoft, anti intel propganda forum.

Ditto...

scott_krehbiel
01-12-2004, 12:16 PM
Ade, is that the original box from
Modeler 3d for the Amiga?

Very cool indeed.

Scott

Yeah I know - way off topic, but then
again so's this thread. :p

mattclary
01-12-2004, 01:49 PM
Sorry, gonna have to kinda side with Beam on this one. I don't think this article really says anything important or indicates WHAT Intel will do, but I predict Intel will HAVE to implement AMD's instruction set, which kinda reverses their situation from years back.

The AMD/Intel news is all something we should keep an eye on. if nothing else, it's like watching a soap opera.

Beamtracer
01-13-2004, 12:13 AM
Sorry if this subject offended some people.

I think that Intel licensing its future processors from AMD is one of the biggest events in the computer industry in the last 15 years.

I don't know if Microsoft had any influence over this. Some speculate that Microsoft wanted to minimize the number of processor architectures for Windows. Having fewer platforms means a reduction in development costs for Windows.

When Intel releases an x86-64 based processor, it will mean the end of Itanium. Not many Itanium based computers were sold, so from a user point of view it may not be important.

Hewlett-Packard invested a huge amount of money into the Itanium. Intel migrating to x86-64 will be a tremendous loss for HP. Expect an angry HP, who in future may not follow Intel as closely as before.

artologist
01-13-2004, 12:54 AM
So is the HP iPod a step in a different direction or an astronomical stretch by me .

Beamtracer
01-13-2004, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by artologist
So is the HP iPod a step in a different direction or an astronomical stretch by me . It could be. I must say it's a bit unusual for HP and Apple to hop into bed together.

The move has angered Microsoft:
http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/top_news_item.cfm?NewsID=7643