PDA

View Full Version : The cost of the "FREE" CD

Yog
01-09-2004, 04:47 PM
I just had a really nasty thought.

When I was getting an electronic download all was well.

But now I'm getting a "free" CD it's likely that because I live in the UK I'm going to get hit with 17.5% VAT (Value Added Tax) on the physical import, add to that the couriours fee for having to sort the VAT at Customs (typically £10/£15), and all of a sudden my "free" CD is costing me an extra £65 ($110 USD) :mad:

Any chance the guys at Newtek can look into shipping options before posting it out ?

js33
01-09-2004, 04:51 PM
$110 US just to have a friggin CD imported and delivered to your door. Jeeze someones got their hands in your pockets there in the Motherland. :D

Cheers,
JS

robinson
01-09-2004, 04:59 PM
If you get this CD (this year) you will properly get it from Newtek-Europe and don’t have to pay anything !!!

But right now I just really hope they deliver this year. :rolleyes:

Macet01
01-09-2004, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Yog
I just had a really nasty thought.

When I was getting an electronic download all was well.

But now I'm getting a "free" CD it's likely that because I live in the UK I'm going to get hit with 17.5% VAT (Value Added Tax) on the physical import, add to that the couriours fee for having to sort the VAT at Customs (typically £10/£15), and all of a sudden my "free" CD is costing me an extra £65 ($110 USD) :mad:

Any chance the guys at Newtek can look into shipping options before posting it out ?

From what I understand, remember I am an ugly American :D , VAT stands for Value Added Tax. Just who is this tax adding value for. I am also a bit confused, if the CD is free then any percentage of 0 is 0, so how can they charge you a tax on it?

Yog
01-09-2004, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by robinson
If you get this CD (this year) you will properly get it from Newtek-Europe and don’t have to pay anything !!!

But right now I just really hope they deliver this year. :rolleyes:

Possibly, but in my experience things I have ordered direct from Newtek (US) have been shipped from the USA. Things that I have ordered from Newtek-Europe have been shipped by Newtek-Europe.

In this case I ordered from Newtek (US) direct, because being an electronic download I did not have to worry about VAT. Also because I was early ordering, I think they were the only ones with the offer at the time.

With all the pressure Newtek are under at the moment, it seems entirely feasible that they may have overlooked this aspect of the new shipping method.

pauland
01-09-2004, 05:12 PM
I would have thought that Newtek -europe would distribute the CDs within europe, in which case none of your duty and fee worries arise.

I would anticipate that the customs value should be $0.0 anyway, since we actually contracted to a download, not to purchasing a physical disc.

Paul

Yog
01-09-2004, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Macet01
From what I understand, remember I am an ugly American :D , VAT stands for Value Added Tax. Just who is this tax adding value for. I am also a bit confused, if the CD is free then any percentage of 0 is 0, so how can they charge you a tax on it?

Because by law the sender has to put the value of the contents on the packaging.
We also have to pay full VAT on any "gift" with a value over $30.

If Newtek do put a value of $0 on the packaging, then fine, but if they put the price of the LW8 upgrade, then me and a lot of UK LW's are going to get stung.

robinson
01-09-2004, 05:14 PM

Hehe,

way back in 1999 I ordered a maya student version.
Was about $ 300 that time. (But also 10 KG of manuals, I later sold these manuals on ebay for about $ 500, hehe )

You wanna know what they charged me VAT for !!!

THE OVERNIGHT SHIPPING !!!
I NEDED TO PAY VAT ON THE SHIPPING COAST, CUSTOMS ARE STRANGE I TELL YA !!! :(

eacide
01-09-2004, 05:18 PM

Yeah that is in theory. Practically, it is quite different. They take VAT on everything in France. Plus a custom fee of 7% of the initial value + VAT. Because if I bought it in France, I would have paid the VAT anyway :D

I'd add that I paid the upgrade 495€ in September. The change rate was 1.15 $ / €. Practically, I paid it 565 € :D (but I don't care)

mkiii
01-09-2004, 05:19 PM
Yog et al.

Remember the Beta force package - in the UK we got that direct from Newtek USA & got stung for the Duty & VAT.

When the Full version was due to ship, again, directly from The US, we asked Chuck about it, and he arranged for all the packages to have a Value of something minimal - $15 or so, so no duty was paid on that box. Hopefully, if they come directly from the US, that is what will happen.

As robinson says, Newtek europe shipments won't have duty stamped on them presumably.

Macet: Generally, things being shipped don't usually have $0 as their value. I think it's an insurance thing. VAT is added on top of the cost of duty + other charges.

These days, it has nothing much to do with value added, and is just a form of European sales TAX at 17.5% on just about every single item you have to buy, apart for things like books. Even then, a book with a CD on the back will have VAT for the 'value' of the CD. stupid, stupid tax.

js33
01-09-2004, 05:26 PM
VAT = Ripoff
There is no value added to anything. It is just the goverments charging 17.5% tax. That is precisely the reason that the US broke ties with the motherland all those years ago. :D

Cheers,
JS

pauland
01-09-2004, 05:30 PM
Carry on like that and we'll ask for our back-taxes...

;-)

eacide
01-09-2004, 05:31 PM
BTW I received my Motion Builder upgrade straight from Canada and I paid nothing as VAT and taxes.

robinson
01-09-2004, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by js33
VAT = Ripoff
There is no value added to anything. It is just the goverments charging 17.5% tax. That is precisely the reason that the US broke ties with the motherland all those years ago. :D

Cheers,
JS

Hehe Macet01 said it before, you ugly American.

BTW, just 16 % of VAT over here !!! :rolleyes:

eacide
01-09-2004, 05:34 PM
here VAT is 19.6 % :( and we add 7% of duty as said above ::(

Stewpot
01-09-2004, 06:09 PM
Well I ordred my upgrade from OneVideo, (Hampshire UK), so there shouldn't be any VAT if they ship the cd.

Perhaps Newtek Europe will ship the appropriate amount of cds to the agents who sold the original upgrade, and re-imburse the shipping as well.

I certainly would not be happy at having to pay anything which was advertised as a 'free' upgrade!!

Newtek need to sort this out soon, if there will be d/l version.

p.s. should read 'no d/l'

cresshead
01-09-2004, 06:17 PM
yeah i got my upgrade from one video so i'm hoping they have their finger on the pulse and mail out the cdroms to me if this no electronic as actually going to happen..i'd hope to see a proper statemant from newtek rather than a reply to a forum question as then i can telephone onevideo and point them over to the press release if they know nothing about it..which they probably do not if they don't read all the messages in the newtek forums.

clarity here chuck would be the order of the day i believe so that not a single updater slips through the net.

steve gilbert

js33
01-09-2004, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by pauland
Carry on like that and we'll ask for our back-taxes...

;-)

Hehehe. You'll have to tangle with George first. :D

No not George Washington either. :D

Cheers from America,
JS

js33
01-09-2004, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by robinson
Hehe Macet01 said it before, you ugly American.

BTW, just 16 % of VAT over here !!! :rolleyes:

Well my sales tax if I have to pay it is 8.25%. If I order something on the net from a different state I don't have to pay any tax. :D

Cheers from an ugly American,
JS

badllarma
01-10-2004, 02:52 AM
Originally posted by cresshead
yeah i got my upgrade from one video so i'm hoping they have their finger on the pulse and mail out the cdroms to me if this no electronic as actually going to happen..i'd hope to see a proper statemant from newtek rather than a reply to a forum question as then i can telephone onevideo and point them over to the press release if they know nothing about it..which they probably do not if they don't read all the messages in the newtek forums.

clarity here chuck would be the order of the day i believe so that not a single updater slips through the net.

steve gilbert
yup I ordered from onevideo as well so hopefully it will all be sorted out and we will get the CD as every one else does HOPEFULLY :rolleyes:

Original1
01-10-2004, 03:02 AM
Well my sales tax if I have to pay it is 8.25%. If I order something on the net from a different state I don't have to pay any tax. :D

Cheers from an ugly American,
JS

Hey at this rate I am going to come and live in Texas,
any body want to employ a multimedia programmer who is highly proficent in Director, Flash, VT3, and Lightwave.

TyVole
01-10-2004, 03:50 AM
If you're choosing where to live by the tax rate, New Hampshire is probably a better choice than Texas. No sales tax and no state income tax. And on top of that, you get a license plate that says "Live Free or Die."

But couldn't you just move to the Isle of Jersey? I heard that they have no taxes whatsoever.

I don't know how VAT works in England, but when I lived in the Czech Republic, no one really cared about it if they ran a business -- what you paid in VAT got subtracted from what you collected in VAT -- any difference refunded by the government.

js33
01-10-2004, 04:34 AM
If New Hampshire has no sales tax how does the state gets it's money to run the state?

Texas has no state income tax either.

Cheers,
JS

js33
01-10-2004, 04:36 AM
Originally posted by Original1
Hey at this rate I am going to come and live in Texas,
any body want to employ a multimedia programmer who is highly proficent in Director, Flash, VT3, and Lightwave.

Well there probably is alot more work for someone like you in Texas than there is in New Hampshire.

After all Newtek is in Texas. :D

Cheers,
JS

Hervé
01-10-2004, 06:11 AM
My friend Salvatore (Los Angeles) told me if he buys let say a sony camera in California, he has to pay taxes on it.... if he order the same product in New york, .... no taxes.... very weird system....

He sent me some Ram he bought for me at Kingston Site directly (ship only in US), then he re-sent me the Ram, as a gift.... no way I had to pay taxes on it.... but it was still way less money than buying this 1gig ram in Europe.... I have found nothing on the web but just big ripp offs.... like 3 times the price for the same ram.....

I think ram in europe still very expensive.... no?

Does NT-Europe sales the upgrade for 8 the same price as in US country... ?

Hervé
01-10-2004, 06:20 AM
sure......

NT US ---------- $495
`NT-europe ------------495... euros = $628...

So, where are we here......

TyVole
01-10-2004, 08:41 AM
If New Hampshire has no sales tax how does the state gets it's money to run the state?

Texas has no state income tax either.

Cheers,
JS

New Hampshire is probably the most libertarian state in the Union, with almost no social programs.

Southern New Hamsphire is also well within commutting distance of Boston, which while not exactly being a hotbed of 3d work, is still better than many other major metropolitan areas.

archiea
01-10-2004, 09:33 AM
here on Mars, we don't have any taxes.. but we also don't have air nor water.. at least not yet... Although these kewl RC cars been falling out of the sky.. we use them for RC racing.. but they are a bit slow.... Hopefully the earthlings won't mind.....

js33
01-10-2004, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by TyVole
New Hampshire is probably the most libertarian state in the Union, with almost no social programs.

Southern New Hamsphire is also well within commutting distance of Boston, which while not exactly being a hotbed of 3d work, is still better than many other major metropolitan areas.

Yes but they need some money just to run what little government you may have there. They have to pay all the goverment workers, pay for the roads (repair and construction), pay all the state workers, state police, police cars, etc...

It takes alot of money to pay for that stuff. But New Hampshire is really small compared to Texas. We have alot of roads and alot more people.

In fact Texas used to be a seperate country until it joined the US. :D

Cheers,
JS

prospector
01-10-2004, 04:55 PM
When those cars come back they better be in as good condition as we sent them, or there will be [email protected] to pay !!!

You break 'em...you buy 'em
And fill the tanks up before you are done with them!!!;)

Aquaman
01-10-2004, 07:04 PM
Alaska doesn't have sales tax either, however they do still have income tax.

js33
01-10-2004, 07:24 PM
Not sure which is worse? Probably sales tax as you always have to pay it when you buy something unless you buy from another state on the Net.

Cheers,
JS

Librarian
01-10-2004, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Hervé
sure......

NT US ---------- $495
`NT-europe ------------495... euros = $628...

So, where are we here......
Yes, it`s not fair.
But look at MayaComplete. 1999$, but in Europe 2349euro = 3016$ more than 50% added!!!!! :eek:

Macet01
01-10-2004, 09:21 PM
Not sure which is worse? Probably sales tax as you always have to pay it when you buy something unless you buy from another state on the Net.

Cheers,
JS

The absolute worst is buying something in Manhattan. First there is the state sales tax and then the city's sales tax. Remember you are using money that was already taxed by the Fed and State Govts to pay additional taxes. Time for a revolt. I have the tea......who has a harbor to dump it in :D

gjjackson
01-11-2004, 01:05 AM
The absolute worst is buying something in Manhattan. First there is the state sales tax and then the city's sales tax. Remember you are using money that was already taxed by the Fed and State Govts to pay additional taxes. Time for a revolt. I have the tea......who has a harbor to dump it in :D

Actually the Whiskey rebellion would be more a appropriate analogy.

dwburman
01-11-2004, 03:46 PM
Newtek could consider having its European distributors download the CD image and just burn CDs and mail them out to the locals. It won't be as nicely packaged but they wouldn't have to worry about the same bandwidth crunch as a community wide download. The distibutors could be reimbursed by sales discounts from newtek.

New Hampshire's tax info can be found here: http://www.nh.gov/revenue/gti-rev.htm

In Virginia we have a (I think) a 4.x% sales tax and an income tax. There's also personal property tax which applies to cars and boats and other stuff, I'm sure. So basically when you buy a car you end up paying taxes several times. You get taxed when you get paid (income tax), you get taxed when you buy the car (sales tax), you get taxed for owning the car (annual personal property tax) and you have to buy the plates/tags and a city decal for the car. The car tax is being phased out though.

In the city of Lynchburg there's an additional prepared food tax which annoys me. It adds up to ~10% extra on the bill, and I eat out a lot :)

In PA (most) food and clothing aren't taxed.

I feel bad complaining about our level of taxation in the presence of my European LW brothers. If it helps, we probably have to pay more in the way of Medical Insurance :) At the same time it sucks to have to pay >30% of my income to a government that probably won't handle it efficiently.

I've heard that the US income tax started as a temporary 1% tax to help fund the war effort (WWI or WWII) and that the "Baltimore Tea Party" was over a 2% or 3% tax.

Hervé
01-11-2004, 11:34 PM
Hey , consider yourself happy, Man come in France, you'll be stumped, taxes here are so huge and everywhere.... you said they add 10 % taxes on prepaid food.... here trust me, you would start to make some cuisine yourself.... he he...

here, you pay direct taxes on your salary (45% of your money), then your boss has to pay some 20% on top of that, then off course there is sales taxes usually 15 to 18% (before they had a luxury objects tax (33%), but with Europe, that tax was declared illegal and unfair...., then you pay some taxes in the city you live in, it depend on the size of your home and the city, it could go to the equivalence of one month income, then there is a house property tax, then all kinds of small taxes, like the one to help cure the debts of France political gangsters, then there is the yearly state income tax, ..... I am sure I fogot some of them.... anyway, France is full of Taxes.... Hardcore.... I tell ya....

later,
the french living in Luxembourg (mucho better, he he)

mattclary
01-12-2004, 11:31 AM
You know, it was that kinda cr*p that caused us Yanks to have that tea party that time... It's something you should consider. ;)

jr_sunshine
01-12-2004, 12:06 PM
Hervé,

I don't want to start a flame war or anything... we have chatted before on this forum.... but why do you and other French citizens put up with that kind of taxation? Just curious..... not trying to be disrespectful at all.

thanks,

mattclary
01-12-2004, 01:52 PM
I'm guessing the ownership on firearms is pretty heavily restricted in ALL of Europe, so they are kind of at the whim of their government. ;)

edit: Kinda brings home the difference between being a "subject" and a "citizen".

pauland
01-12-2004, 03:37 PM
I'm not a French Citizen, I'm from the UK, but I did spend two years in Belgium and France. I think the French above all understand the way to live and don't equate that to monetary income.

If you want to take a tangible example of where some of that money goes - they have a fantastic public healthcare system. I can't really comment on anything else, but in general, higher disposable income doesn't necessarilly equate to a better quality of life.

Paul

Hervé
01-12-2004, 11:49 PM
Ha ha, dont worry for me, I am living in Luxembourg for 11 years, the smallest taxes of Europe, the most liberal banking system, and the cream is ..... richest country in the world/ citizen + biggest income.... (yes bigger than Petrol Countries...)

Just to say, there is 2 States in the world where people are hiding their no so clean money..... Switzerland.... and Luxembourg.... he he...

Our house ( more of my wife... he he) cost about a million US $, and it is avarage price, he he.... understand now... he he... and best of it, it's fully paid.

(emigrating here is hard -U can imagine- Lucky me I married a Luxembourgeoise super ultra nice girl... )
PS... dont want to offence anybody here, just some facts....

So I would not exchange my position for anything. I was living in Los Angeles before (A loft in the ancient LA downtown post office with my all time friend Salvatore, a born and raised in Bronx NY)...

So.... uhmmmm, I am sooo happy.... now if only LW8 could.... ah welll...

Hervé

Richard Bailey
01-21-2004, 06:20 AM
Hi guys - please refer to our forum for more info (www.onevideo.co.uk/forum (http://www.onevideo.co.uk/forum) ), but, in short I would just like to assure all OneVideo customers of our up-most attention at all time.

http://www.onevideo.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=196&PN=1&TPN=1

OneVideo's prime concern is customer support, and as such all eligible customers will receive all upgrades free of charge.

Originally posted by Original1
In my exprience One Video normally deal with Newtek Europe and are very good at getting stuff out to there Customers as soon as Newtek Europe has it. It will be delivered to you as a general rule.

Rich
The OneVideo Team

www.onanimation.net (http://www.oneanimation.net)

http://www.onevideo.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=196&PN=1&TPN=1