PDA

View Full Version : Using Lightwave to add snow to video project

Johnny
01-09-2004, 02:40 PM
I'm working on a short film for myself (self-promotional). Did the outdoor scenes shooting during a recent snow storm.

the part of the film involving actors is a ways off, and I'm almost sure I won't have snow on demand when that shooting begins, so I wonder if Lightwave-generated snow, added to my project (composited?) will look cheesy or if this can really be made to look good?

the scenes I envision as needing faux snow will be like inside..in a coffeeshop, and the snow will be seen thru whatever windows there are. Maybe it would be a bear to mask the windows to facilitate compositing more than actually producing snow?

Can anyone who's done this say?

J

jdavidbakr
01-09-2004, 03:46 PM
My motto is always, If it is fairly simple to do practically, DO IT! Snow out a window would be a whole lot easier to do practically than it would to composite (you'll have to mask the window, rotoscope any action in the FG, try to get your particles to fall right... lots more headaches than just having someone stand out there with a bag of fake snow on a scaffolding...)

RUdiger
01-10-2004, 01:23 AM
There's a good snow scene in the LW content/Misc

Axis3d
01-10-2004, 04:06 PM
You can definitely make a good snowfall in Lightwave. Using the particle generator and Hypervoxels, you can add some slight wind effectors to create movement to the particles as they fall. Especially, since it will be seen in the background outside a window. Very do-able. As far as it looking cheesy, that part is up to you. Look at as much reference footage as you can to simulate the snowfall.

HowardM
01-10-2004, 05:08 PM
Check these out (http://images.google.com/images?q=snowflake&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en)
yep, you can do some great snow using PFX and these images for HVs!

Johnny
01-10-2004, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by HowardM
Check these out (http://images.google.com/images?q=snowflake&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en)
yep, you can do some great snow using PFX and these images for HVs!

man, they're beautiful! Is there a diminishing returns in having super-detailed flakes, tho? What I'm planning for is that a set in which the camera (DV camera in the realworld) will be appx 10-15 feet from the window...

J

HowardM
01-10-2004, 05:39 PM
nah, I mean unless you have a Pentium 1?
:)
take any of those high res snowflakes and make a 2 color black/white alpha for the image map, so its not too large and will render sweet!