PDA

View Full Version : Moving Object After Motion Designer

A.Russell
01-09-2004, 12:06 PM
erm, another animating question :rolleyes: .

I have a model intwo parts, a body and a dress (by now a lot of you have seen this, because it's been giving me a hard time for a while now). THe dress part is two materials, a hem which is fixed and the material of the dress which is animated by motion designer.

When I used Motion Designer to animate the dress, I had the model running around everywhere, so that the dress would follow the movements of the model (flies out behind as she runs, etc). Now that I've finally got it looking good, I'm ready to export it.

This is a game model, so, for export, I don't want it running around everywhere as I had when animating the dress. I want each frame to be centered at zero, the rest of her movement will be controlled by script in the RT3D engine.

The problem is, the dress object can no longer be moved after applying MD to it. Moving the bones it is attached to just leaves the dress behind. If I animate it in place it doesn't look nearly as good as when I had her moving around, so I really want to be able to move it after applying the MD.

Does anyone know if you can move an object after applying MD, and can you tell me how it is done?

PXLPSH
01-10-2004, 05:00 AM
I would imagine that you would just have to tweak your wind settings in order to animate here and get the dress to act as though she was moving around...

If you could please post a followup on this about how you fixed this. thnx

A.Russell
01-10-2004, 09:07 AM
I haven't found a way around it. After running Motion Designer, there appears to be no way of moving the object.

I thought about using wind to simulate movement too, however, she moves, and twists and jumps, and MD doesn't let you change wind direction half way through an animatoin (unless I'm missing something).

In the end I just had to animate it in place :(. Didn't look as good, but unless anyone knows another way, I've run out of ideas.

hunter
01-10-2004, 12:26 PM
MD is effected by all other effects. i.e. FX_Gravity, Fx_Wind, just like particles are and will allow a lot more control.
Might give that a shot. :)