PDA

View Full Version : VT[3] Features Questions (Mostly TEd ?'s)

darenu
03-09-2003, 08:13 AM
After reviewing the initial releases and comments on T[3], I have a few questions about inclusions:

1. Quicktime Support in TEd?

2. MPEG Support from TEd, or just via the new AVI Wrapper?

3. Can you wrap individual RTV's, or do you have to make each one a TEd project?

4. DVE's on Overlays? (Boy, I hope so)

5. Track-based mutes and video on/off (mute all audio on a horizontal track, etc. like in Premiere, FCP, Avid, etc.)?

6. Deck control with frame accurate recording/inserts (control external deck with the ability to record your project at a specific timecode)?

7. Support for any type of plug-ins/filters in TEd? (like Premiere, Boris, After Effects, Aura, etc.), including Audio filters?

8. Auto scene detection in batch capture?

Forgive me if any of these have been addressed elsewhere. The feature listed presented thus far looks like a good step towards a fully-featured editing system.

ted
03-09-2003, 09:27 AM
This is NOT official, but from reading all I can find on T3, here's what I've concluded...

1. Quicktime Support in TEd?***No.

2. MPEG Support from TEd, or just via the new AVI Wrapper? ***AVI WRAPPER.

3. Can you wrap individual RTV's, or do you have to make each one a TEd project? ***YES, INDIVIDUAL.

4. DVE's on Overlays? ***NO.

5. Track-based mutes and video on/off (mute all audio on a horizontal track, etc. like in Premiere, FCP, Avid, etc.)? ***DON"T THINK SO.

6. Deck control with frame accurate recording/inserts (control external deck with the ability to record your project at a specific timecode)? ***MOSTLY YES. NOT SURE OF THE MENUES FOR SELECTING DROP FRAME/NON-DROPFRAME.

7. Support for any type of plug-ins/filters in TEd? (like Premiere, Boris, After Effects, Aura, etc.), including Audio filters? ***NO.

8. Auto scene detection in batch capture? ***NO

NewTek would be the best to answer this, when they are ready.

Jim Capillo
03-09-2003, 10:28 AM
Anyone have any screen captures ?????

darenu
03-09-2003, 12:29 PM
Not to be too negative, but it's looking more like a v2.5 than a 3...

Jim Capillo
03-09-2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by darenu
Not to be too negative, but it's looking more like a v2.5 than a 3...

Have you seen/used it, or are you just going by the posts here?

ted
03-09-2003, 11:39 PM
If you've been using the Toaster, or haven't due to it's shortcomings, the improvements would probably rate as more than a valid upgrade.

Look at some of the minor improvements in Photoshop, Illustrator, Premier and After Effects that warrant a new Number & upgrade charge.
It's not like it's VT 8 or more.

Depends on what your daily needs are I guess, but for me, most of the things I MUST have, are now there. And I haven't heard all the details yet.

SBowie
03-10-2003, 05:13 AM
"A rose by any other name ...", toe-may-toe, toe-mah-toe ... I still want it!

darenu
03-10-2003, 09:56 AM
minor improvements in Photoshop, Illustrator, Premier and After Effects that warrant a new Number & upgrade charge

Maybe I'm just stirring the pot or something, but I do agree, in that Adobe does in fact charge $149 for these upgrades, and $600 for a full version.

It will be nice to have the AVI wrapper that used to be in version 1 back though ;)

UnCommonGrafx
03-10-2003, 11:15 AM
I've seen at least one post that says 4 is a yes.

bradl
03-10-2003, 11:04 PM
:eek: Whoa.......................................!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now that is REAL news...

Could you link to that source please?

Paul Lara
03-11-2003, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by darenu
4. DVE's on Overlays?

No.

UnCommonGrafx
03-11-2003, 08:35 AM
Burst my bubble...
I thought I saw....

Too many late nights...blurry eyes....
Sorry.

wvp
03-12-2003, 06:22 PM
:( Sorry to hear that Paul, DVE's with Overlay is something I use (or want to use) frequently.
I trust it is being worked on :)

Rich Deustachio
03-12-2003, 08:26 PM
Well with NAB coming, and most of us upgrading, it will give NewTek a nice boost in cashflow so they can then work on more of the requested items. I feel with what has been mentioned so far the upgrade is worth it although it would have been nice to see a reduced upgrade price for pre-orders.

Knock their socks off at NAB guys!!

Brian Peterson
03-12-2003, 08:51 PM
Any chance of a Film Grain effect in T3?

I'm sitting here playing with a Storm 2 system, I built for friend and I must say that film grain is fantastic! I want it on the T3!

ScorpioProd
03-13-2003, 01:45 AM
Well, there are two workarounds for doing this, but not directly with TEd:

1) Add a DV Storm 2 to a Toaster[2] system. It can give you the best of both worlds and works fine according to Blaine.

2) Get the forthcoming Premiere RTB package from Bob Tasa. This will let you use Premiere on RTV, DV and M-JPEG files. Then you can add the Canopus DV Booster Pack to Premiere, and get the filters and effects you want, and then use them on any of these files.

Brian Peterson
03-13-2003, 09:31 AM
Eugene,

I've thought of that in the past, but 1 I don't have the money presently considering I have to do a $1800 overhaul on my system to get up and going with T3.

And I'm curious as to what happened to the project Andrew was working on many moons ago. He was out searching for examples of film grain and I believe Harlan Hill sent him a couple. So out of curiosity, has this borne fruit?

ScorpioProd
03-13-2003, 03:36 PM
Don't know, but I haven't seen anything in the T[3] announcement suggesting new filters for TEd.

I think the filter ability in DV Storm 2 may still have the lead a while longer. Regional, stackable, color correction (including one button white balance), etc. Believe me, I would love those abilities in TEd. Those are truely the main things (plus a real MCE program) that make me see DV Storm 2 as a cool system...

pgrimpo
03-13-2003, 08:02 PM
Video Vegas is cheap and has a GREAT film grain filter.

-grimps