PDA

View Full Version : advice about cutting a finger off

dsdsdsdsd
01-09-2004, 08:08 AM
hello; I have a problem; I built a hand in modelor, where I put the hand and four fingers on one layer with skelegons; I put the fifth finger on a seperate layer, its' skelegon is on the hand layer though;

problem 1): if I put the fifth finger on the hand layer, Layout will then not allow a clean cut; that is, Layout will think of the hand and the fifth finger as being one object and thus Layout will not allow the finger to be seperated from the hand;

problem 2): or if I were to take the skelegon of the fifth finger and put it on the layer of the fifth finger, the fifth skelegon will not be recognized as a child of the hand skelegons;

any thoughts?
thanks,
dsdsdsdsd

dablan
01-09-2004, 08:45 AM
I'm so confused....

but, in Layout, you can tell specific bones to "Use Bones From..." and point to another object layer.

Another option is to copy the hierarchy for the fith finger, put it into the fifth finger layer, so that they match their original position in the original layer. Then, before animating, parent it all to the necessary bones, keeping the fifth finger seperate.

dsdsdsdsd
01-09-2004, 09:02 AM
hello Dan;
I did indeed do the second thing you suggested; frankly it is messy but does work;
I like your first suggestion better - no redundancy of bones, weight maps; I was unaware of "use bones from..."; I will look into it; I appreciate your advice;
Shannon Burnett

dablan
01-09-2004, 09:16 AM
No problem. Hope it all works out.

dsdsdsdsd
01-09-2004, 09:21 AM
in follow up - I do not think that "Use Bones From Object" will work since I wish to sever the finger, which requires a severed bone-chain;
your note on page 617 is on point;
thanks again

dablan
01-09-2004, 09:23 AM
Yeah, I was afraid of that.

Do you really need bones at all?
How about morphs instead? Granted they're linear, but you can slice the finger, attach it and parent it as a seperate object, then pull it off, morphing any of the other elements.

dsdsdsdsd
01-09-2004, 09:42 AM
frankly, I have yet to morph at all; I think that for now I will hold off though; my learning curve is pretty steep as it is; I have several other project that I wish to use LW for over the next many months; somewhere along the way I imagine I will get to morphing;

dablan
01-09-2004, 09:51 AM
Well, if you've tackled bones, you can morph. I think Morphs are easier. Essentially, in Modeler, you create a new endomorph by first moving the points / polys of your model. That's the morph! Create as many as you like. Then in Layout, select the object, apply the Morph Mixer plug-in (displacement plug) and use the slider in the panel that pops up to morph!