PDA

View Full Version : new news about LW8

Steve McRae
01-08-2004, 07:49 PM
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=114329

. . . I can't believe how Newtek expects its users to find out about stuff like this second hand rather than keeping us up to date from its website or forums . . .

TSpyrison
01-08-2004, 08:35 PM
not knocking the source..
But Im sure if thats the case, NewTek will tell us.
Maybe they wern't ready to release that as an official announcement...

no big deal.

If it is the case, I hope the snail mail travels fast

js33
01-08-2004, 10:08 PM
Well I got that email as well since I ordered my upgrade through Keyframe magazine. I'm sure they wouldn't have told us anything NT didn't want the world to know.

Cheers,
JS

Spidey1138
01-09-2004, 02:05 PM
I think this has already been replied to by Chuck. I dont feel like finding the exact post, but, I remember it to be a case of only applying to people that odered through Keyframe, NOT those that ordered direct from NewTek...

Chuck
01-09-2004, 02:13 PM
Here's the post:

KeyFrame magazine was informing customers who purchased directly from them of the expected procedure for customers who have purchased from a reseller rather than directly from NewTek. That may be subject to change, but this was our best idea of how things will need to work at the time we informed KeyFrame and other resellers.

While we can definitely identify the customers who purchased directly from us who are eligible for the upgrade, that isn't necessarily the case with folks who purchased through a reseller, especially if they were 7.5 users purchasing the DFX+ with 8 upgrade option - they have not had to register anything with us subsequent to their purchase. We're certainly going to do everything we can to make this as convenient and automatic for the customer as possible, but there are some folks eligible for the upgrade who would not show up in data from either the sales invoice database or the registration database. The procedure we mentioned to resellers is the way we expect we can locate those folks who would be missed using the data we have at NewTek.

js33
01-09-2004, 02:22 PM
Chuck,

So does that mean if I purchased the upgrade through Keyframe, like I did, that I need to register the new copy of 7.5 that I received but didn't need in order to get 8?

Will Keyframe take care of it or do I need to register on Newtek's site somewhere or call?

Thanks,
JS

KillMe
01-09-2004, 02:53 PM
i bought lw 7.5 didn't upgrade will i be ok i dont need to do anythign special no?

Chuck
01-09-2004, 03:12 PM
To boil it down to simplest terms, either we have your info or your reseller does, so either we'll get in touch with you to confirm your shipping address, or your reseller will contact you and direct you to the web page where you can let us know you need the upgrade and where we should ship it. Either way, you are covered.

Steve McRae
01-09-2004, 03:17 PM
. . . i'm assuming my reseller in Canada (videolink.ca) does not know this as he did not mention it when I emailed him about it on Monday wanting to know how Newtek would know who I was etc . . .

. . . he told me to contact Newtek . . .

. . . Newtek (Marvin ? I think his name was . . .?) told me on Wednesday that they would post a form on the website when it got closer to the release date with instruction as to what to do . . .

. . . I sure hope that I don't get a CD directly from Newtek as our communist government ;) up here will add on tax and duty again to my purchase if it comes right from Texas . . .

robinson
01-09-2004, 04:10 PM
Sure it’s great to get the “whole” CD.

BUT
you know the dfx+ shipping was already a disaster.

I waited two month for the arrival of dfx+, then I needed to get this extra dfx+ dongle for my 2nd computer, do you really think there was anybody who knew anything about that topic in Europe.
Damn you Newtek another $ 95 for a few of us, I’m poor you know.

You wanna know how the “communication” between newtek-usa, newtek-europe and my reseller works ?
Looks like there is no communication !!!

Here is a small timetable how the communication works; you know something like that will probably happen.

January 2004, Lightwave 8 comes out (in the USA)
March 2004 , Netwek Europe will announce Lightwave 8.
April 2004, I will get an email from Newtek-Europe.
They will tell me about the LW 7.5b update, and because they are smart and like me they will tell about a great future Newtek product
“7.5c, the ultimate Lightwave version”
May 2004, next email from Newtek-Europe,
They will announce a great deal !!!
Lightwave 8 upgrade and dfx+ for just $ 495, but I will need to order by June 30th (you know 2004) !
I’m surprised.
Can’t be true I just installed LW7.5c, another update, just crazy !
June 2004, just ordered the update (again), yes I know I'm dumb but I’m happy can’t wait to see the new features this summer on Siggraph
August 2004, watching Williams Lightwave streaming and I will think !!!
WTF I HE TALKING ABOUT !!! LIGHTWAVE 9 ???

To be continued… :rolleyes:

You should really force resellers to visit this forum, and then they would know something about the product they are selling.

anieves
01-09-2004, 04:16 PM
my reseller (www.sharbor.com) informed us that the CD would ship to us (I assume from them and not NT) when LW8 comes out but they took some info at time of order, like serial number and stuff.

Now, this really confused me... who is going to ship the CD to me you after filling out the form or the reseller?

Noclar7
01-09-2004, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by atomman
. . . i'm assuming my reseller in Canada (videolink.ca) does not know this as he did not mention it when I emailed him about it on Monday wanting to know how Newtek would know who I was etc . . .

. . . he told me to contact Newtek . . .

. . . Newtek (Marvin ? I think his name was . . .?) told me on Wednesday that they would post a form on the website when it got closer to the release date with instruction as to what to do . . .

. . . I sure hope that I don't get a CD directly from Newtek as our communist government ;) up here will add on tax and duty again to my purchase if it comes right from Texas . . .

Im in the same boat fellow canuck. I got a call from videolink, and then I was told to check with newtek, talked to Marvin, and then was told that info would be on the site when its ready.

Its friggin cold up here ehh!! -40 with the windchill

lol, I love the stereotypical canadian :D

js33
01-09-2004, 04:40 PM
How can you guys live in -40 weather? Bbbbbrrrrrrrrr...
You can't even go outside with out 5 layers of clothes on.
Even 20 is too cold for me. Hehehee
That's about as cold as it gets in Texas.

Cheers,
JS

Igu4n4
01-09-2004, 04:44 PM
T'is a cold day here in Toronto... too cold. THE KINDA' COLD that makes a young lad's tongue stick to a bus stop while the paramedics arive.

Just tell Bruce at Videolink the situation you read about, and he'll contact you the stuff is ready. He's very good about it. He just might not have read it yet. (or been informed (yet!)).

Steve
www.iguana-den.com

Steve McRae
01-09-2004, 04:48 PM
. . . heh heh, here in Calgary we just had a chinook blow through so it is +1 . . .

. . . I emailed him last night - no response yet - however, in the past my experience with Bruce has been good . . .

Maxx
01-09-2004, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by anieves
my reseller (www.sharbor.com) informed us that the CD would ship to us (I assume from them and not NT) when LW8 comes out but they took some info at time of order, like serial number and stuff.

Now, this really confused me... who is going to ship the CD to me you after filling out the form or the reseller?

When were you informed by safe harbor? I also bought my DFX+ and 8 upgrade though them and haven't heard anything. Didn't really think about it, as I was planning on the download, but now that things have changed, I wonder....

ballew
01-09-2004, 09:40 PM
I ordered my upgrade last week from safe harbor and was told that Newtek would be shipping the LW8 CD.

Craig

Videolink
01-10-2004, 12:01 AM
Hey Guys!
Oh I feel the Love!
good thing too its freezing here -35 tonight
aaaaaaaaaaaaa
I still have not had official word from Newtek re the shipment of LW8 CDs other than what we have seen on this forum
(and CGchannel.com)
but I am awaiting instructions and when we know ,( heck
you guys will probably know before me)
ahem....when we know we will do whatever we are suppose to do, after geting instructions from Uncle Tim
Thats why we are here for you guys, to iron out all the bumps and wrinkles
Im anxious too.
we will also post on the site

still here after all these years
16+ (wow)
Your Newtek Center for Canada
www.videolink.ca
(did ya see the new studio yet?)

Bruce

PS
Lightwave User group meetings, last monday of every month 7pm-11pm
bring tapes, cds, plugins, news, anything LW related

Peace

Steve McRae
01-10-2004, 06:47 AM
. . . thanks for the update Bruce ! :) . . .

prospector
01-10-2004, 07:17 AM
by Q4o4

anieves
01-10-2004, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Maxx
When were you informed by safe harbor? I also bought my DFX+ and 8 upgrade though them and haven't heard anything. Didn't really think about it, as I was planning on the download, but now that things have changed, I wonder....

I just called them up and asked... they told me that it was going to be shipped on cd to me when 8 gets released but didn't tell me who was going to ship it, them or Newtek....

They also told me that it'll have both Mac and PC versions in the cd, I haven't heard any confirmation on that claim though...

My original copy of LW is a Mac version but now I'm using LW on my PC.

sire
01-10-2004, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by robinson
you know the dfx+ shipping was already a disaster.

I waited two month for the arrival of dfx+, then I needed to get this extra dfx+ dongle for my 2nd computer, do you really think there was anybody who knew anything about that topic in Europe.
Hmm... I didn't have that big problems with receiving the DFX+ bonus. May depend on the time of purchase and the distributor. My experience with DCP is quite good. Maybe because they never send stuff to me via snail mail, but only email or phone me when they have something for me to pick up, since they have their office only in another part of the same city where I live. :)