PDA

View Full Version : pixel tracking built in to LW8???

SamuraiSlayer
01-08-2004, 06:36 PM
is there any way that anyone knows if LW8 will have a built in pixel tracking (mocap) program that could basically just track motion on a .avi file?? If it isnt planned then someone (hint hint) should recommend it to NewTek (hint hint)

someone should really recommend that (hint hint), and on a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT subject, Proton, how are you doing?

Kvaalen
01-09-2004, 05:53 AM
I would be really surprised if LightWave [8] has that. I really doubt it.

BTW, if you want to suggest that idea you can post the request in the Feature Requests forum.

Maxx
01-09-2004, 06:05 AM
I believe that Dan Ablan is planning a chapter in Inside LW8 on tracking with LW. However, according to a post either here or on CGTalk, 8 does not include any tracking options. I think he said something about using a secondary program or a basic type workaround. I can't remember what exactly he said, but I'll dig through and see if I can find the post.

*edit* Found the post - http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67149&perpage=15&highlight=tracking&pagenumber=3 - page 6 someone asks specifically about tracking within LW and Dan says "nope", it's a workaround he devised during a job.

siproductions
01-09-2004, 07:47 AM
Buy 8 now and you get DXF+ You can pixel track in DXF and then export the tracker data to a LW motion path. I've done it. Pretty neat if you ask me. I used it to link particles to my foot as I walked along. ;)

sire
01-10-2004, 03:51 PM
Was also possible with Aura. However, this still is only 2D. Motion Capture is usually understood as working in 3D space, and this is some different story then...

Meaty
01-12-2004, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by siproductions
Buy 8 now and you get DXF+ You can pixel track in DXF and then export the tracker data to a LW motion path. I've done it. Pretty neat if you ask me. I used it to link particles to my foot as I walked along. ;)

very cool!! could you give a brief explanation as to how you did this? thanks!

siproductions
01-12-2004, 10:18 AM
Well I loaded my footage into DXF and added a tracker. I just placed the tracker over my foot. I was wearing white socks and the tracker just locked right on to them. I pressed the track forward button and watched to make sure the tracker didn't wander off target. ( it didn't :) ) After the tracking was done I right clicked on the tracker curve and went to the export options, and exported the LWmotion file. I then opened up LW and added an emitter then applied the motion file to the emitter. I then loaded the original footage in the background, then played the animation and moved the camera to perfectly match the movement of the emitter my foot's movement. After that I just rendered it out. Hope that helps you out. :)

siproductions
01-12-2004, 10:25 AM
I just want to clarify: It is very important to wear white socks while you track in DXF. For some reason it does better. Those trackers stayed on my socks all day. Just couldn't get rid of those things, even when I put then through the washer. The drier seemed to get rid of them however.:D

Auger
01-12-2004, 10:26 AM
Siproductions,

Did you have to add a LW motion path exporter? All I get when I right click on the curve is a spline exporter.

TIA

siproductions
01-12-2004, 10:37 AM
Just a sec I'll check on that.

Ok my bad. After you run the tracker right click in the viewport and you should see a list with the path that you just tracked at the bottom of the list move down to that and another list will appear with export towards the bottom of that list. Let me know if that clears it up.

Auger
01-12-2004, 10:48 AM
That did it. Awesome tip!:D

Thanks again.