PDA

View Full Version : LW8 Interface Design Template . . .

Matt
01-08-2004, 04:57 PM
Hi

Just in case you haven't had enough discussion about LightWaves interface, here's some more fuel for the fire! ;)

However, this is a little different!

If you own Photoshop and are competent with layers, layer modes, opacity etc. you can download this layered interface template I created for those who want to play with all the button / text colours, border / bevel strengths etc.

You might need to toggle the layers on and off to see what it affects, but practically everything has been seperated. Also check the mode and opacity of any layers you edit to avoid frustration, quite a few are set to overlay mode with low opacity, this is so that text / borders / button bevels etc sit nicely over any background / button colours you edit.

It's all there nicely layered and ordered ready for use. Post any interesting ones!

Have fun! :)

Matt

(Edit: Uploaded a slightly modifed template)

Matt
01-08-2004, 04:57 PM
Here's what we're trying to better! :)

Matt
01-08-2004, 04:59 PM
a softer / bluey version . . .

Matt
01-08-2004, 04:59 PM
a monochrome one . . .

Matt
01-08-2004, 05:00 PM
button / background contrast flipped . . .

Matt
01-08-2004, 05:01 PM
one without any borders . . .

Matt
01-08-2004, 05:03 PM
simplistic version . . .

Yog
01-08-2004, 05:19 PM
One option I would like in a future fully customisable interface is the ability to colour groups of buttons differently, a bit like the folder colours Photoshop has had for the last couple of releases.

The reason, I tend to group buttons by similar group functions, like all subdivide functions together (who doesn't), and then devide the different group functions be a clear divider space.
When modelling fast it seems to be a case of glance at the menu, start the mouse going to the right area of the screen, and whilst the mouse is moving the brain is updating where the actual button is in that area.

All well and good on some tabs, but on some tabs that are a little overcrowded (like the tab I have for polygon tools) the divisions between the groups can get a little hard to see at a glance.
So what if I could give all the subdivide buttons a blue/grey tint, and all my multiply buttons a red/grey tint. I could then easily identfy all my grouped subdivision (or multiply, or edges, or create, etc) tools at the slightest glance.

Matt
01-08-2004, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Yog
One option I would like in a fully customisable interface is the ability to colour groups of buttons differently

This is something I've always wanted too, as you said grouping buttons by function, and colouring them accordingly is much better than having all buttons of a similar 'type' the same colour like it is now in LightWave.

takkun
01-08-2004, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Matt
a softer / bluey version . . . I'm in love. :)

All those people who said that the button borders were too dark were totally right. It looks a billion times better with lighter borders. And this is coming from someone who really likes the current LW8 version.

Doug Nicola
01-08-2004, 05:49 PM
Great work as always Matt. Every single one is better than (way better than!) what NT is showing us now.

No harsh black and white, you use centered text that looks right, and all of yours have great color balance.

I really hope NT is not going to release the current UI design. It can be made SO MUCH better!

Librarian
01-08-2004, 05:58 PM
I like the original one best. It`s clear and easy.
Naturally I don`t care much about the interface.
It should be functional and clearly aranged. The original one is.
If Newtek changes the interface again and again, LW8 will never ship.

Matt
01-08-2004, 06:00 PM
oh, well, each to their own, but that's the idea of this thread, download the template and have a play!!!

all in the interest of good fun! :)

Librarian
01-08-2004, 06:18 PM
Well, it`s nothing personal, but I don`t want Newtek to delay their schedule because some users are not happy with the actual look of the UI. It`s secondary for me if the upper line of button a is one pixel to wide or line b deviates from the DIN XP4540 norm. Just my PERSONAL OPINION ;)
There`s always someone complaining about something. That`s life and life is boring without different opinions ;)

Matt
01-08-2004, 06:29 PM
don't worry, didn't take it personally! :)

Matt
01-08-2004, 06:51 PM
higher contrast version . . .

riki
01-08-2004, 07:01 PM
Looks good Matt, I like your 3rd version, though the buttons could yuse just a bit more contrast.

CB_3D
01-08-2004, 07:18 PM
The "softer / bluey version" looks great, as does the flipped. Would be nice if we had that kind of control over the colors.

Melvil
01-08-2004, 08:34 PM
Ohh, neat Matt. Always neat to screw with the interface. ;)

Here's my work:

http://www.nsdigitalinc.com/melvil/images/LW8_Interface_melv.jpg

The colors reflect my current LW7 scheme pictured here (http://www.nsdigitalinc.com/melvil/images/layout.jpg)

-Dave

ncr100
01-08-2004, 09:45 PM
Wow . . .

The first comparison images versus the "this is what we're trying to better" image are SOOO much better. My brain hurts just looking at the electric-bright colors around the LW8 screen's bottom. Highlights are they?

I hope to {insert witty noun here} we are given a color configuration .ini file !!! What say you! Tally ho!

-Nick

Matt
01-09-2004, 02:07 AM
Melvil - can you post your image again, it hasn't uploaded, be nice to see what other people do rather than just me!

archiea
01-09-2004, 05:01 AM
Nice going matt... really nice....

taking a crack at it as I type....

archiea
01-09-2004, 05:29 AM
Ok, this guy has the bevel GONE.. can we say bye-bye bevels? yes, I knew you could. The outlines were reduced in opacity, the outlines were removed for the "Load", Add", "Replace" and "Delete" ala 7.5. I restored the frame increments, but at a much lighter intensity. The dark BG under the layout window was significantly lightened. I brought the brightness overall up as well as the contrast...

archiea
01-09-2004, 05:32 AM
this guy is the same, but more monochromatic....

archiea
01-09-2004, 05:37 AM
This has the color of my first version, but with the incremental frames boosted up a bit more....

Zafar Iqbal
01-09-2004, 06:50 AM
Im defenatly into darker interfaces - this is something my LW8 will look like ;)

http://www.vef.dk/LW8_Interface.gif

Matt
01-09-2004, 07:01 AM
archiea, nice and clean!

Oooh I like that one Zafar! Just needs the active buttons to be visible!

:)

Karmacop
01-09-2004, 07:15 AM
:p

Zafar Iqbal
01-09-2004, 07:30 AM

Oooh I like that one Zafar! Just needs the active buttons to be visible!

Haha, yeah.. i forgot to adjust those ones ;)

Zafar Iqbal
01-09-2004, 07:31 AM
ROFLMAO Karmacop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p ;) :D :rolleyes: :cool: ;) :p :D

Kvaalen
01-09-2004, 07:32 AM
Ha ha ha, Karmacop! Nice one even though he should be saying something like "I see you are trying to anmate. Would you like help? - take the button text one pixel down - get rid of the bevels - get rid of the dark boreders..." :p

I am pritty amazed at what simple things make it look soo much better. I hope NewTek has a better interface than what they are currently showing. It's such simple stuff and a decent amount of it has to do with taking stuff out (or reducing) not adding.

Tartiflette
01-09-2004, 07:41 AM
Hello !!
Here is my view of the new UI...
By the way, thanks, Matt, for this great idea :)
I think that it must have taken a lot of time to do this ?
I wish the interface could be as simple to change as this Photoshop tweak !! :)

So, here is a light one :

http://www.the3dcie.com/LW8_Clear.jpg

And here is a dark one :

http://www.the3dcie.com/LW8_Dark.jpg

Hope it could be more like this, but, if it's possible to change the colors as it is with the current release, I'll be happy :)

Laurent aka Tartiflette :)

Matt
01-09-2004, 07:47 AM
Tartiflette didn't take too long at all, I'm pretty quick with Photoshop these days! :)

Karmacop LOL! Let's hope that feature _doesn't_ make it into LW8!!!

Nemoid
01-09-2004, 09:46 AM
even if it has a quite arlequin and clumsy style,with that horrible green color buttons I like the first image posted. its more readable. you know, black fonts on light button colors...
i also like the blue smooth UI, but i find it way less readable at a first glance than the first image.

Chazz
01-09-2004, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Zafar Iqbal
Im defenatly into darker interfaces - this is something my LW8 will look like ;)

Now that's hot! :D

Psyhke
01-09-2004, 10:35 AM
Matt, thanks for posting the PSD, kind of fun to play around with...

Here's my version...

phrick
01-09-2004, 11:14 AM
I prefer light interfaces... (Though I could make an exception for Psyhke's version. Really nice!)
But the interface color scheme should really be editable via the GUI somehow.

(Thanks a lot for the PSD, Matt)

jds580s
01-09-2004, 11:39 AM
I like those last ones phrick & Psyhke.

I would vote for keeping the frame numbers in the timeline. I find myself referring to those all the time.

Doug Nicola
01-09-2004, 01:01 PM
BTW Matt, good catch on getting rid of the long, pointless widget that's supposed to be a button thing for the dope track but is just a waste of space.

I like how you replaced it with the up/down arrows to the left, which use NO additional screen space (space that can be used otherwise for viewport display).

Every pixel counts!

Edit: Possibly even the arrows could be changed to a small arrow that sits right above each numeric frame display, that way allowing for a longer timeline. The arrow would simply change direction based on the state of the dope track.

Melvil
01-09-2004, 05:47 PM
I don't know why you couldn't see my image from my first post, Matt, but here it is again.

-Dave

lunarcamel
01-09-2004, 06:29 PM
You can change the colors and borders all you want - its still going to be the same outdated interface ;)

swamptoast
01-10-2004, 01:53 AM
Another one for the mix ...

sire
01-10-2004, 05:04 PM
I guess I like Matt's first "softer / bluey" example the most, except I'd prefer leaving the frame numbers in the timeline and having a lighter background with dark grid in the viewports (as it is in 7.5).

swamptoast
01-10-2004, 10:11 PM
Another with some of the UI elements moved around ...

HowardM
01-10-2004, 10:47 PM
ohhh, I like that alot! great job. who is this newbie Swamptoast? I like! :)
the colors seem a little childish but still seem to work...
the curves and soft buttons I love!

tweaking yours - what do you think about this? a little spread out and feels more like home?

http://www.3dink.com/tabs.jpg

swamptoast
01-10-2004, 11:20 PM
Hey Howard,

Thanks ... I had alot of fun working on it. I haven't posted much but I lurk around here for hints and tips. (basically a newbie trying to break into the biz).

Your edits are similar to another direction I was playing with, but with this one I wanted to see if it worked if extra space was left the vertical area for the menus to really expand (I occasionally experiment with maiking custom menus in 7.5). And I was thinking that maybe down the road the tabs and menus could be moved to a vertical tool bar similar to photoshop - that way it could be pushed off to a second monitor.

Your edits were cool too. Hopefully people will keep feeding off of each other and some great ideas will get produced ...

Thanks again,
Steve

ikaruz
01-10-2004, 11:25 PM
Matt great job on the phothop template :D
Although I'm a windows user, I always liked the look of Mac OSX and always wonder what Lightwave would be like. Even though I'm sure we won't be seeing this interface any time soon here's my attempt at it. Some detail and roundeded egdes were done pretty quicly so you might see some overlaping and/or fixing needed, specially the top blue bar that goes under some buttons.

Semi OSX look with pinstripes.
http://www.ikaruz.com/web/lw/lw8_int_osx2.gif

No pinstripes here.
http://www.ikaruz.com/web/lw/lw8_int_osx.gif

Karmacop
01-11-2004, 12:58 AM
I never liked lightwave looking like OSX, it looks cluttered or something :\ But nice job anyway ikaruz :)

Ade
01-11-2004, 01:01 AM
I think Apple is moving away from Aqua pinstripes and moving to darker pro brushed metals, like seen in pantehr and fcp4 and shake.

Pro apps need neutral clours that dont fight with the design.

sketchyjay
01-11-2004, 01:01 AM
Swamp I like how you broke up the bottom into groups instead of it being a big jumble of buttons. very nice

Howard nice change.

I just changed the locations of a few things. This is addictive.

Jay

Ade
01-11-2004, 02:17 AM
I say if it works dont fix it....
I call it "Modern Amiga"...

archiea
01-11-2004, 02:23 AM
well, since NT insists on making it look old, why stop at 5.6..... just go straight to the one that started it al.....

cresshead
01-11-2004, 09:23 AM
that apple version looks disgusting!

bubbble vision!...yuk!

CTRL+X
01-11-2004, 09:48 AM
Ok,, If the interface was completely user configurable,,, this is how mine would appear.

http://members.cox.net/phantomline_studios/Images/Dark%20UI.jpg

Karmacop
01-11-2004, 05:33 PM
Looks nice, but how would you move keys behind the time slider?

CTRL+X
01-11-2004, 06:30 PM
you wouldnt,, just a visual cue,,to let you know what is there and on which channel, right click on the bar would bring up the key editor

plus I needed to get some color in that dark interface

HowardM
01-11-2004, 07:12 PM
I dont know guys, the dark ones are bad for your eyes.
Can you seriously look at that for more than 20 minutes straight without freaking out?

Subtle, pastels, soft, NO BEVELS! is good for the eyes and perfect for interface design!
Really, why do you think we all hate ICONS so much?!

CTRL+X
01-11-2004, 07:24 PM
been at this stuff since '93, as I am sure there is alot of people here that do this day in and day out....through trial and error,, i have found these colors ( for me) make me less strained as the hours go by.

all my software uses these colors ( if I am able to modify thier interface) ... from AutoCAD to MAX and VIZ,, I even have my LW colors as lo as I can......

But like I said,,,,,for me,, this is what I prefere

cresshead
01-11-2004, 07:30 PM
actually icon are oka if they are designed well.

positives for text based:

all you have to do is read it and you know what it means.

minus for text based:
once youve read them that's fine but to re find an text button you have to scan and re read all the text buttons every time you want to find a text based button...this takes a huge amount of time on comparison to trying to find a "shape" [icon]...shape recognition is faster than reading text once you learn what icons to look for as you have a mental image of the shape/color your looking for.

minus for icons:
you have to learn them..which takes time, so initially icons are confusing.

positive for icons:

once you learn them it's VERY fast to locate an icon compared to a text based button.

shortcut keys offer a great way of operating a U.I as the most used keys can be mapped to easy to remember keyboard shortcuts....this helps a text based u.i get back upto a speed of a icon based u.i

of course icon based ui's have jeyboard shortcuts too.

in the end it's good to have both text and icons...icons can take up less space too....that's whay newtek use icons for some of the u.i in modeler and layout.

a good option for users is have both available..

in 3dsmax for instance you have icons by default but can load up a text based u.i if you want to..you can also design your own icons or load up icons from another package so you don't have to learn their version of an icon..for instance you can load up lightscape icon pack for 3dsmax/viz so that all the familiar icons of lightscape are now used for the same tools in max/viz

a good balance between both is a good move.

CTRL+X
01-11-2004, 07:38 PM
Actually the best way is to run a prgram by key input,,

once you know them key commands you can whip through a session without even looking for text or icons

using Autocad alot has taught me that command and key input is the fastest

the first thing I learn on a new program it its key shortcuts

archiea
01-11-2004, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by HowardM
I dont know guys, the dark ones are bad for your eyes.
Can you seriously look at that for more than 20 minutes straight without freaking out?

Subtle, pastels, soft, NO BEVELS! is good for the eyes and perfect for interface design!
Really, why do you think we all hate ICONS so much?!

Aesthetically, i'm there with Howard. Especially in this forum whee the white bnackground makes the dark interfaces look darker...

Hey, Maybe we should move this discussion to CGtalk and see how the same screens look in their discussion GUI. ;)

ngrava
01-11-2004, 09:51 PM
Uhg.. Here's mine... For what it's worth.

http://www.cybcon.com/~galenb/LW8_Interface_Another.jpg

I don't know. I'm not really sure that I like it. Why did I put those light lines on either side of the buttons... Not even I know. ;)

-=GB=-

archiea
01-11-2004, 10:17 PM
I like the color. the white line are a subtle cue that separates the buttons w/o being a Dominate, cluttering outline ...

it just may have simply felt good, ngrava.... do you feel good?

swamptoast
01-11-2004, 11:20 PM
here is .... iLayout - complete with brushed metal and gel buttons :)

archiea
01-12-2004, 12:41 AM
:eek: matt you have created a monster out of all of us!:eek:

takkun
01-12-2004, 12:47 AM
swamptoast! That looks great!

Maybe Newtek should consider making Lightwave skinnable like Winamp. Or at least giving the options in the SDK so that others could develop a skinning plug.

Matt
01-12-2004, 02:37 AM
Wow some great versions guys!

Psyhke - Very nice! :)

Although the point of the template was to work with the UI NT have come up with (so as to spare them a rally of new UIs, we've put them through that already!)

Having said that, I really like what you've done there swamptoast, good logical organisation (but I'd expect that from a pro UI designer! ;) He He I checked your website out)

Cheers
Matt

Karmacop
01-12-2004, 07:09 AM
No offence swamptoast, but I like howardM's version of your UI because the numeric inputs is below the menu, making the lower part of the interface less crowded. Ofcourse your newer version of the interface looks great :)

Philours
01-12-2004, 09:29 AM
Ok guys, here is my try :

http://www.philours.com/share/lw8ui.jpg

The text field are rounded to be clearly different from buttons (i think that not only the colors have to be tweaked but some shapes here and there too to achieve a more "modern" look), the active window is slightly highlighted to avoid accidental clicks, the bevels are softened a lot just to keep a discreet volume on the buttons, little dots are added onto the section titles (to make a clear distinction between them and the buttons) and the colors are keeped neutral, except the active tabs and tools to allow focusing on the work (and not too much on the UI).

Hope you like it.

phil lawson
01-12-2004, 09:42 AM
Nice work Philours! looks good.

Philours
01-12-2004, 10:00 AM
Here is a slight variation from the precedent version, i've just moved the window manipulators inside the windows "ala Modo" (but a vertical way) to clean a bit the UI and give it a more modern feeling :

http://www.philours.com/share/lw8ui2.jpg

Matt
01-12-2004, 10:12 AM
Wow! Philours definately my favourite so far, very fresh and clean, nice touch with the outline around the text too.

The active window hilight is a great workflow addition.

takkun
01-12-2004, 10:45 AM
Philours, I love you man. That is by far the best lightwave interface I've ever seen. And it's not too drastic of a change either. I wish you showed this last November when everyone was debating the ui prototypes, I'm sure everyone would have fell in love with it. The only qualm I have is the orange buttons, they stand out a bit too much.

Newtek, is it too late to change the ui? I like the new one but Philours concept just blows me away.

Matt
01-12-2004, 10:50 AM
actually Philours can you knock back the white text just a teeny bit, it zings out a little too much when looking at it for a while!

apart from that I love it! :)

Matt
01-12-2004, 10:55 AM
I know why I like it so much, it has a similar feel to this: :)

(a version I never posted)

Philours
01-12-2004, 10:56 AM
I'm glad you like it and i hope this could help.

Here is a version without the orange buttons but slight grey :

http://www.philours.com/share/lw8ui3.jpg

Matt
01-12-2004, 10:58 AM
you know, I liked the orange!

kief
01-12-2004, 11:04 AM
NEWTEK!!! You need to impliment Philours interface. its so easy to read and navigate. the iLayout one was awesome too!

Philours
01-12-2004, 11:08 AM
I liked the orange too. :)

Here is a version where the white text has been very slightly yellow tinted for it to be less intrusive :

http://www.philours.com/share/lw8ui4.jpg

takkun
01-12-2004, 11:09 AM
With or without orange, it looks amazing.

I'm going to bug Newtek till they implement something similar, this could be the look of LW 8.5!

Kvaalen
01-12-2004, 11:30 AM
What Philours showed is nice but what is the orange box showing the active viewport for? I mean... I understand what it is for in DF and programs of the sort. But in LightWave, a change either happens in all the viewports or else only in the one with the mouse over. I just don't see the point.

Also I really like the look of the icons being vertical and without a background, but I think it clutters it up a bit. There is room for it where it used to be and I personally would rather not have little icons in the viewport.

I'm also wondering if the colors around the XYZ are really needed. I think it is enough to have the text colored. The rest is a little distarcting. Same goes for the little orange dots next to each sub menu.

It might just be me, but I find some parts of it a little too rounded.

I'm only stating the things I don't really like, but other than those I find it cool, even though I'll admit I still prefer Matts' darker version (either the vX or else what he showed earlier in this thread without very much bevel or borders). ;)

I'm afraid though that what NewTek have right now (whether it is what they have been showing or not) will not change before the release of LightWave [8], and I don't think they will change it again untill at least 9.0 and maybe later. So don't put your hopes up for a new interface in 8.5. :)

takkun
01-12-2004, 11:43 AM
Philours, could you try out a more conservative version? I'm just curious what it would look like without the orange dot next to the titles, the highlight on the current viewport, the rounded buttons on the bottom half, the lightwave logo watermark and without the onscreen navigation buttons. Just to make it easier to implement with how LW8 is currently laid out. And my office co-worker agrees with Kvaleen about the XYZ buttons.

Melvil
01-12-2004, 11:44 AM
I agree with everyone else, I love what you've done, Philours. I can definately see working with that.

What Philours showed is nice but what is the orange box showing the active viewport for? I mean... I understand what it is for in DF and programs of the sort. But in LightWave, a change either happens in all the viewports or else only in the one with the mouse over. I just don't see the point.

I see it as just showing which window the mouse is over. I think it would actually add clarity. And even if it doesen't help you it wouldn't get in the way. ;)

Though since the XYZ colors are Red, Green, and Blue I don't know why you used Orange, Green, and Blue. ;) The orange does look pretty though...

-Dave

Psyhke
01-12-2004, 11:53 AM
I think that looks excellent, too! But as Matt mentioned, I also wonder if it might be bit easier on the eyes to try a version with the text simplified-- i.e. remove the text outline/shadowing...

Good job!

papou
01-12-2004, 12:00 PM
i like it too! but it look like another app with this orange thing..
No prob for me, coz im gonna love this app too...
So if we can do similar UI color, it's cool.
I don't understand why RGB for XYZ...it's ugly and we all know what color for what direction now...

Philours
01-12-2004, 12:00 PM
Come on guys, if i remove evrything you will just get a grey basic [8] UI...

The look&feel of the UI is the result of all the tiny details added, if i remove them, so i just destroy it...

takkun
01-12-2004, 12:06 PM
i like it too! but it look like another app with this orange thing.. Yeah, I thought it looked too similar to that "other" program.

Come on guys, if i remove evrything you will just get a grey basic [8] UI...

The look&feel of the UI is the result of all the tiny details added, if i remove them, so i just destroy it... That's true, but it wouldn't be as plain as LW8 currently is.

swamptoast
01-12-2004, 03:27 PM
Philours ... I like the colors, I think they should stay! But I also agree with Matt and Psyhke about the outline on the text.

Thanks Matt for starting the thread, this has been fun.

Karmacop
01-12-2004, 04:50 PM
Yeah get rid of the outline around the text, it really bugs my eyes out looking at it :p

swamptoast
01-13-2004, 12:07 AM
Here is yet another ... I liked Philours color scheme so I thought I'd try to integrate it with some of the stuff I had been playing with.

Philours
01-13-2004, 02:01 AM
Ok guys, here is a try whith a dark text, some colours have been removed and i tweaked one or two things.
I personnaly find it tasteless compared to precedent ones but it may bring kinda consensus.

http://www.philours.com/share/lw8ui5.jpg

Matt
01-13-2004, 02:19 AM
Have to say I agree with Philours here, the early versions looked much better.

I liked the outline around the text, I just felt the pure white text could be a little too much on the eyes after a while in a darkened room!

Maybe the XYZ colours could be muted a little but I liked the orange zinging out it added something.

The translucent viewport navigation tools add so much to these interfaces too, I know it's a MODO idea but if it works! ;)

It was the sparkle of colours that made this interface different IMO.

Philours
01-13-2004, 04:08 AM
Thanks Matt, i was starting to be afraid. :)
Here is a version i would like to see, please let me explain why :

http://www.philours.com/share/lw8ui6.jpg

- The text has been grey tinted to be less agressive, the outline effect has been softened but keeped as it gives clarity to the text (like the "clearview" effect in WinXP or OSX).

- The color scheme stays neutral while adding some colour touches here and there that keep it being too boring. It avoids too much focusing on the UI instead of the current work.

- The XYZ RGB : i did this because i've always found hard to determine which colour was which axis (call me dumb). The truth is that i really work a visual way using colour codes and i think it would be a good idea to put in evidence the three axis colours before the editable field, this way, my poor little brain has no need to think, my eyes are alone doing the job. :) The function determines the form...

- The little arrows beside the XYZ and Grid fields : this is a lack i miss in Lightwave. I've always wanted to be able to precisely adjust these variables "step by step" without typing numbers or "shaking-manipulating" the in-view controlers. I think this is something easy to introduce into the workflow and very handy (in particular the Grid setting, editing it in realtime without going into the option panel... dream, dream... :)).

- The active window highlight : what has been said is true, this is a very futile option, but for people like me who really like to focus on what they are doing at a precise moment it really helps (i assure you, working this way in 3dsmax helps me a lot). If you dislike it i think this could be something easily switchable in display options for instance.

- No more buttons behind the shading/views menus : these buttons are absolutely not needed, they have just to be replaced by active field if needed, but as the drop-down arrows are yet buttons, i dont see the need to keep them. Removing these buttons lightens the all UI.

- In view manipulators : i understand this might be a problem for those who find it obstrusive. Once again this might be an option (i personnaly never use them and would love to have an option to totally - or partially - hide them from the UI) and the way they work is when the mouse passes over them, they highlight to indicate their active and which one is (like an hyperlink for instance), this way you know when you will click on the geometry or on the manipulators.

- The rounded fields : they are rounded for two reasons, the first one is pureley aesthetic, by breaking the "all blocky" (and all pukey ;)) look of the whole UI i find them to add modernity, the second reason is to differenciate them from the buttons. The editable ones have white text, while the informative ones have blue text.

To finish with, i personnaly find it way more modern than the actual [8] UI which looks really outdated (yes i'm totally partial). :)

stone
01-13-2004, 04:20 AM
the rounded and coloured button groups from swamptoasts first shot are fabulous looking. combine those with philours first shot (page5) and you'll have my favorite interface as of yet.

/stone

Nico75
01-13-2004, 04:30 AM
I like the Philours version. But the best, for me, is the "VX project" (Matt) http://www.creactive-design.co.uk/lightwave_vx/after.html.
The actual version of LW8 beta, look like to the version 5 ! What a pity...

Tesselator
01-13-2004, 04:45 AM
Originally posted by ikaruz
Matt great job on the phothop template :D
Although I'm a windows user, I always liked the look of Mac OSX and always wonder what Lightwave would be like. Even though I'm sure we won't be seeing this interface any time soon here's my attempt at it. Some detail and roundeded egdes were done pretty quicly so you might see some overlaping and/or fixing needed, specially the top blue bar that goes under some buttons.

Semi OSX look with pinstripes.
http://www.ikaruz.com/web/lw/lw8_int_osx2.gif

No pinstripes here.
http://www.ikaruz.com/web/lw/lw8_int_osx.gif

THAT would look so damn pretty running on that
white apple notbook sitting in that white hardcase
it's just shocking! Good one!!!

Matt
01-13-2004, 04:47 AM
Philours, a lot of that thinking is behind the vX stuff: XYZ colouring, sliders on the XYZ inputs, no shading on the viewport buttons etc. So I whole-heartily agree with you!

As much as I love Apple, I'm not a fan of the Aqua look, it's too 'bubble gum' for me, and will date quickly (it's already waining IMO) I much prefer the 'other' Apple look, which applications like DVD Studio and their 'i' apps are sporting, which as pointed out is where Apple seem to be moving towards anyway.

- - -

Anyway, back to the purpose of this thread, it's difficult for me not to talk about the vX stuff, but that wasn't my intention when I started this thread, it was about how we can _easily_ improve the v8 interface as this will more than likely be the look of v8, hence the template.

Cheers
Matt

Philours
01-13-2004, 04:51 AM
Philours, a lot of that thinking is behind the vX stuff: XYZ colouring, sliders on the XYZ inputs, no shading on the viewport buttons etc. So I whole-heartily agree with you!

Well, so let's hope, that Newtek will follow the same "evidence" way as we both did. :)

eacide
01-13-2004, 04:55 AM
I love Philours interface and the aqua interface.

I have just noticed - a bit OT -, "what is behind the render tab ?"

Matt
01-13-2004, 05:09 AM
Originally posted by eacide
"what is behind the render tab ?"

I wouldn't be too excited, it's just better menu organisation by NewTek, I would imagine render options, global illumination settings etc. I already created a menu with all render settings grouped, including backdrop settings and a 'save all' button.

jr_sunshine
01-13-2004, 08:18 AM
Philours,

Incredible interface design. Good job.

Roy has officially shut up about the interface.

:D

Matt
01-13-2004, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by jr_sunshine
Roy has officially shut up about the interface.

Ignore this post! Just figured out who Roy is! :) :rolleyes:

anieves
01-13-2004, 08:25 AM
yeah Philours, nice UI design, just get rid of the logo, it's a little tacky.

anieves
01-13-2004, 08:28 AM
I must say I love OSX, it is brilliant. but I do not like an aquafied LW UI. It is just too strong and a bunch of bubbles buttons like that just doesn't look right.

What works on one thing might not work on another thing which is the reason I didn't think that the DFX inspired UIs worked either.

Philours
01-13-2004, 08:34 AM
Here is a version without the logo :

http://www.philours.com/share/lw8ui7.jpg

Nico75
01-13-2004, 08:42 AM
Nice, very nice, but a little dark.

Matt
01-13-2004, 09:07 AM
Still love it! :)

Any chance you can post it as a PNG, JPEG compression doesn't help the clean look it would have.

Philours
01-13-2004, 09:14 AM
Here is the PNG version :

http://www.philours.com/share/lw8ui7.png

Matt
01-13-2004, 09:17 AM
ahhhhh much crisper! :)

HowardM
01-13-2004, 09:42 AM
I like Philours minus the orange/gold! maybe a little dark, but im getting use to it.

I dunno guys, why does everyone like the Amiga Imagine circa '92 dark grey and orange/gold?! ungh! same as the LW 3.0 Grey and yellow!?

a neutral gray with some subtle tones is best for your eyes.

yes ALOT of these look great and colorful, as artwork!
but only for 5 minutes, then your eyes go nuts....

imagine also you have the rest of a scene in with it, colors, textures, polys everywhere...interface gets lost...etc.

Philour, add a scene in the windows with color, textures so we can see how it looks then?

Thanks!

KillMe
01-13-2004, 09:50 AM
damn that looks cool - hope we can mess with it all suffiently to make it look liek that when it arrives

RiGLEY
01-13-2004, 10:09 AM
I was very happy when i saw, that lw8 finally doesnt have gradients on the UI, but your design looks cool. I like the gradients too.

opendesigner
01-13-2004, 10:16 AM
Hi Philours congrats!!!! I really hope that the last interface you designed will became the official LW [8] interface!!! .... it's really cool.
I like all that design....

Bye

Massimo

xtrm3d
01-13-2004, 10:29 AM
actually.. i always try to restrain myself to post anything about the next version of lw.. good or bad ..
but i have to say that i would be really happy if the UI design from philours could be adopted by newtek..

cause that look really good..
and i love the orange button !!!
sire philours je vous tire mon chapeau bien bas

;)

anieves
01-13-2004, 10:35 AM
looks better without the logo!:)

Matt
01-13-2004, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by HowardM
Philour, add a scene in the windows with color, textures so we can see how it looks then?

you know Howard is correct in that all of these interfaces will look totally different when a scene, in shaded mode is added, they could fight for priority.

worth trying I think!

swamptoast
01-13-2004, 02:38 PM
Dark and light with objects ...

swamptoast
01-13-2004, 02:38 PM

Tartiflette
01-13-2004, 04:15 PM
Well, I've just seen the new LW8 feature list, and it looks like the definitive UI of LW8 will be the one we see since the first demo or screenshot a while ago :(

I'm sad today, because at that time, we were told that it was the UI of the beta software, and that it was meant to change when the final release would come...

But now, I've just seen the screenshots on the feature list, and especially the comparison between the LW7.5 UI and the LW8 UI !! By the way, in that comparison, I'd keep the 7.5 UI by far... :rolleyes:

To me, it doesn't sound like it will change now... I really hope that the UI color will be as configurable as it was with the 7.5 release, which would IMHO be the bare minimum... I just hope I won't have to use the software I like and use 15 hours a day with this (IMHO...) awfull color scheme. I'm even ready to go back to the 5.6 looking buttons (but, I still think that it's not the way to go...), but in this case, I'd really prefer the color scheme of the 5.6 release !!

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy using LightWave (in fact, it's just the only 3D app I want to use, even if Iknow the other apps...) and I won't use any other software because of the UI, but I really think that being comfortable with the UI you have in front of you all the day is way better to just do cool stuff...

By the way, the new features look really cool !! :)

Just can't wait to get my hands on the new release !!

If only I could be wrong and could see the new UI, soft and modern looking, like the Philours'one for example !! ;)

Let's hope and thanks for reading ! :)

Laurent aka Tartiflette :-))

P.S.:this will be my first and complain about anything, but I like LightWave so much that I want this soft to be perfect !! (Aahh, perfection...) ;)

Philours
01-13-2004, 05:14 PM
Ok guys, here a version with a (very) quick mockup of an object inside the windows :

http://www.philours.com/share/lw8ui8.png

Ade
01-13-2004, 07:06 PM
I have to agree PRO DARK colours are much more easier on the eye and look more professional.....that and my Amiga theme..:D

LW3D
01-14-2004, 07:47 AM
Congrulations Philours. I like your LW interfaces. They are better than NT's LW[8] interfaces. But I don't think NT want to make any changes to the interfaces :(

papou
01-14-2004, 10:08 AM
Hey Philours, nice interface! definiltely ze better.

In fact im ok with the actual UI too. If i can change the color with no limitations (range between 80 and 175)...
I hope I can make white text too on my customize dark UI.
And the possibility to change the color of highlight area will be a great addition.

claymation
01-14-2004, 11:12 AM
I've been reading a few threads on 8 and in one Proton mentioned that you will be able to change the color of the wireframes.

This may a bit of a stretch but...

I wonder if that means it will have color controls for custimizing the interface. I can't see just having a wireframe color control button all by it self.

Have to ask Proton or Chuck about that

Jay

Kvaalen
01-14-2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by claymation
I can't see just having a wireframe color control button all by it self.

I can.
Probably just another option in the Display Options panel. Just like you can change the background color of the viewports. Only a guess.

HowardM
01-14-2004, 12:33 PM
looking cool guys, but throw in a scene with textures, and varying colors, not solid red white and blue!? Go USA! :)

claymation
01-14-2004, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Kvaalen
I can.
Probably just another option in the Display Options panel. Just like you can change the background color of the viewports. Only a guess.

He just showed teh wireframe color option. it uses sketch color to quickly change the wireframe color.

Oh well, will have to wait and see if there is any info on the colors. At worst I hope they remove the max cap for colors in the display so we can tweak it to our hearts content.

Jay

vee
01-15-2004, 12:33 AM
quick neutral gray workspace

jamesl
01-15-2004, 01:06 AM
Hey Vee... did you leave a layer out or did you mean for the Bg to be white? If so, ouch! Me needs some lazer surgery on the retinas! Don't want to blind the users, do we?

j

Kvaalen
01-15-2004, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by claymation
He just showed teh wireframe color option. it uses sketch color to quickly change the wireframe color.

Oh well, will have to wait and see if there is any info on the colors. At worst I hope they remove the max cap for colors in the display so we can tweak it to our hearts content.

Jay

True, but it seems to me I read (I might be wrong) that some of the options in the display panel will be accesable from the normal menu.

I don't think that all because of that one option he showed there will be the posibility to change the interface colors in real time.

I'm not saying there won't, I'm just saying that that isn't enough proof for me. :)

Memodin
01-15-2004, 11:19 AM
Philours,

your design is great !

Very very nice ui.

Newtek must use this absolutely !!

claymation
01-15-2004, 11:36 AM
Kvaalen:

I just saw the recent movies proton posted and the wirecolors are on set from a sketch color button on the regular tool bars.

Oh well. I hope they remove the cap on the color choices we can edit in the lwhub.cfg file. With luck they will expand the things we can choose colors for.

Jay

Trolly
01-17-2004, 07:16 AM
Philours,

your design is great !

Very very nice ui.

Newtek must use this absolutely !!

I totally absolutiely agree!!!!!

GruvSyco
01-17-2004, 10:59 AM
I agree I like philours color scheme. I think it would look nice on 8.

As a slight deviation from topic, I tried Matt's color scheme (from another thread on interface colors) and while the color scheme looked really really nice (dig those subdued blues), the lighting in shaded mode and shaded wireframe became really intolerable. The are where the highlights are pretty much washed away the mesh. It's odd that changing the interface colors had this effect. I removed those lines and from my config and it all went back to normal.

Kvaalen
01-17-2004, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Trolly
I totally absolutiely agree!!!!!

But what about those who'd prefer that if NewTek changes the interface they change it into something else?

You never know, those people might be more (which I think they are), they just don't have any reason to post it. I really don't see why you all say that NewTek MUST use it.

I have nothing against it, I even think it is nice. I would prefer it much more than what we are currently shown for LightWave 8. It's just that I think there are better alternatives.

Whatever the new interface will be, you are going to be seeing it for hours a day (if you use it as much as I do ;)) and probably for a long time (at least till [9] I suppose). If NewTek changes the interface, you better have them make it the best possible.

Just my opinion.

Trolly
01-17-2004, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Kvaalen
But what about those who'd prefer that if NewTek changes the interface they change it into something else?

You never know, those people might be more (which I think they are), they just don't have any reason to post it. I really don't see why you all say that NewTek MUST use it.

I have nothing against it, I even think it is nice. I would prefer it much more than what we are currently shown for LightWave 8. It's just that I think there are better alternatives.

Whatever the new interface will be, you are going to be seeing it for hours a day (if you use it as much as I do ;)) and probably for a long time (at least till [9] I suppose). If NewTek changes the interface, you better have them make it the best possible.

Just my opinion.

Hehe Kvaalen, I am sure there are ppl who will HATE that theme. But it will be always this way...some think that some piece of art sux while others love that instead.
The reason why I really like that scheme is next:
Some years ago as I first time met Combustion I really fell in love with its gui. Nice dark colours...good to work in dark room where colour distortions are less to happen. Lighting is the greatest enemy if it comes to ergonomical design of art department rooms.
Thats the same reason I hate Adobe(PS&AFX) default gui so much...it is killing my eyes:P
So, after I saw this template what Philours made I almost had to get a heart attack;)
Cuz imho it is much better...way much better than any combustion gui or any other 3d app gui.
I too work many hours behind pc in a day(mostly whole day). And for the same reason I love the gui of LW 7.5....it is dark and easy for my eyes:D
Just my two cents...

agrippa
01-17-2004, 12:32 PM
<begin rant>
Hey NT, it would seem that there are some VERY strong feelings regarding the UI, so since LW is already late, why not rather than changing it completely, take a little time and at least give the users the ABILITY to modify the UI to how they see fit. Different users have different ideas on how a UI should look and feel, whether it be more "max-like" or less "combusion-ie"...but the users ALL seem to agree that the ability to modify the work environment is a BIG DEAL. So come on NT...at least make the UI flexible...The competition in the 3d world is fierce, any little "edge" you can offer can only help in the end.
</end rant>

Agrippa

Trolly
01-17-2004, 01:18 PM
Thumbs up(Y)!
good idea agrippa.

sketchyjay
01-17-2004, 07:06 PM
I'm with agrippa. Give us access to every color in the interface and display and let us choose what we like.

At some point add it to the sdk and lscript so we can make our own interface changes right from inside LW.

Jay

isnowboard
01-17-2004, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Zafar Iqbal

http://www.vef.dk/LW8_Interface.gif

This is close to houw I would want mine.

swamptoast
01-18-2004, 11:10 PM
based on garage band ... :D

Fasty
01-19-2004, 03:12 AM
Am I the only one that really enjoys the current Lightwave look? :confused: I couldn't stand working all day with a really dark interface, and it might sound strange but it just feels so depressing and oppressive. Give me a colourful (yet tasteful) colourscheme anyday!

And for the record I LIKE the brushed steel! :D

sire
01-19-2004, 04:48 PM
I'm with you, Fasty. The last suggestions would be way too dark for my taste. Also Philours design looks nice and stylish on first sight, but I think it's already "too beautiful" for a tool. I don't like the outlines around the letters, they make it all look too busy.

The look of LW8 in Proton's latest demo vids is quite ok to me. I still think they could have left the GUI like in 7.5, but well... The current LW8 look is by far not as strange as the previews they posted last summer. I'd just keep the subtle bevels for rollovers, just as in LW7.5. Minimalistic is nice.

Matt
07-01-2004, 04:22 AM
Just did a search for old interface threads for another thread, I included this one because Philours did a great interface, unfortunately he linked his images rather than uploading them, so I've taken the liberty to upload the interface Philours did, very nice it it too!

Philours
07-01-2004, 04:25 AM
And you did well. :)
I've moved from an old server to a new one, sorry. :)

nerdyguy227
07-04-2004, 09:08 AM
Is there any way to change the GUI to this look?

lesterfoster
07-04-2004, 11:00 AM
I like the LightWAVE vX (http://www.creactive-design.co.uk/lightwave_vx/after.html) project best.

But how would it work on a dual monitor system. It looks like the interface takes up a lot of work space. Would it take up a lot more work space on a dual monitor system. And have a lot of unused space for buttons?

Lightwolf
07-04-2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by lesterfoster
I like the LightWAVE vX (http://www.creactive-design.co.uk/lightwave_vx/after.html) project best.

But how would it work on a dual monitor system. It looks like the interface takes up a lot of work space. Would it take up a lot more work space on a dual monitor system. And have a lot of unused space for buttons?
Not really: http://www.creactive-design.co.uk/lightwave_vx/gfx/lightwave_vx_functionailty.jpg

VX is actually two interface designs in one (though they go hand in hand).
First it is just a graphic re-design for ui elements, as i obvious by just looking at the mock ups.
Secondly though, and much more important imho, it is a conceptual re-vamp of how to interact with Lightwave through the UI. Making it more powerful in the process, while keeping the current UIs strengths (and eliminating the weaknesses, which many of us might have gotten used to, but are still a pain in the a**).

Did I get that right Matt? ;)

Cheers,
Mike

lesterfoster
07-04-2004, 12:04 PM
I just looked at the link that LightWOLF placed. I see what he is talking about. I see that all of the menus can be tarred off. and making your working screen bigger. Looks something like Flash or Dreamwever. I like that. I like the LightWAVE vX project even better.

Do you know if NewTek has looked at the LightWAVE vX project yet?:)

nerdyguy227
07-04-2004, 04:26 PM

Do you know if NewTek has looked at the LightWAVE vX project yet?;)

I was just going to ask the same thing!

lesterfoster
07-04-2004, 04:31 PM
I think that the vX project is just right for a dual monitor system

Librarian
07-04-2004, 05:14 PM
Philours, your design is the best yet.
Looks modern and not like a toy like many others, sorry ;)
NT, this is the way t go :)

Philours
07-05-2004, 03:50 AM
Thanks, Librarian, i'm glad you like it.

cresshead
07-05-2004, 04:01 AM
i'm hoping that someone make a "plugin" for the U.I. so i can choose some "themes" or at least get the lightwave 7.5 look back for lightwave 8.0....is there anyone out there who has a 7.5 colour scheme for lightwave 8.0?

maybe where the optomised version of lightwave 8.0 ships for osxG5 and fully opended up sdk for f prime comes out we may also get 8.1 with a choice of U.I. colours

lesterfoster
07-05-2004, 04:19 AM
I have just look at all 11 pages of this thread. to look at Philours work. but all I see every time is a box with a red "X" in it.
Where is Philours's work. Is it hear or is it just my computer.?:confused:

Philours
07-05-2004, 04:30 AM
Sorry, i had a server problem.
Everything's fixed now.

lesterfoster
07-05-2004, 04:38 AM
Sorry, i had a server problem.

Think you Philours I can see them now.:) Also looked at your website. That looks quite good. Hope to get my website up soon.

Matt
07-05-2004, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Lightwolf
Did I get that right Matt? ;)

Couldn't have put it better myself Mike, thanks! :D

lesterfoster / nerdyguy227 - Yep, they know about it - difficult for them not too with my incessant ranting!!! :)

Piolla
07-05-2004, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Philours
Ok guys, here a version with a (very) quick mockup of an object inside the windows :

http://www.philours.com/share/lw8ui8.png

This one is the winner for me. If my dream of changing the UI at will was granted, I'd do it just like yours.

Actually, this is how my LW UI lokss right now...

kmscottmoore
07-05-2004, 01:04 PM
Karmacop,

You should have to come over and clean my computer!! I just honked coffee all over the place!!!!!

papou
07-05-2004, 02:08 PM
i like your Ui Piolla!
too bad we can' t customize lw8 like that.

Librarian
07-05-2004, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Philours
Thanks, Librarian, i'm glad you like it.
I don`t like it, I LOVE IT, really :)

Maybe IŽm the only one who doesn`t like the VFX design that much and can`t understand why everyone is freaking out about it.
Honestly, if LW is going in that direction, IŽll no longer using it. Therefore it`s best to make it as configurable as possible.

lesterfoster
07-05-2004, 05:51 PM
Quote: from Librarian

Whey cant lightwave give us a choice. I know with for EX: you have a choice between the old Dreamweaver interface for those who like it and the new DreamweaverMX. For those who want the new look. And the same goes with FlashMX. I think. I also see that with lightwave (8) The sceen editor has the choice for the new one or the old 7.5 classic.

Whey cant NewTEK do that with the next LightWAVE. I like the vX project because I think that it well maximize my work area of my first monitor and make use of my secant monitor. And at the same time allows the LightWAVE user who likes it the way that it is now to use it like it is now.

And allow us to make new skin's like you can in some parts of the VideoTOASTER.:)

I would like to have a choice on how I like to do my LightWAVEing

nerdyguy227
07-05-2004, 06:02 PM
Couldn't have put it better myself Mike, thanks! :D

lesterfoster / nerdyguy227 - Yep, they know about it - difficult for them not too with my incessant ranting!!! :)

:confused:

Piolla
07-05-2004, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by papou
i like your Ui Piolla!
too bad we can' t customize lw8 like that.

Can't? You just have to put the values in the hub preferences. I'm afraid we won't go far...
Mine are:

FileRequesterServer $Default
ColorPickerServer $Default
LanguageID 409
TimeOptionsIndex 0
SaveClientIndex 0
BackgroundColor 080 080 115
StateButtonColor 080 080 100
ToolButtonColor 080 080 100
ActionButtonColor 120 120 140
DialogButtonColor 248 164 000
DragButtonColor 248 164 000
InfoAreaColor 064 064 064
InfoAreaTextColor 255 255 255
WindowShape 10 276 364 707 471
DialogCenter 507 582

lesterfoster
07-05-2004, 06:52 PM
To Piolla

I think that your choice is just make up. And that is good if it works best for you.:( :( But what I want is a face lift. That would work best for me.!!:) :) :)

papou
07-05-2004, 06:54 PM
still can't modify this light gray button backdrop.

Piolla
07-05-2004, 07:10 PM
To Piolla
I think that your choice is just makup. And that is good if it works best for you.:( :( But what I want is a face lift. That would works best for me.!!:) :) :)

It's not my choice. I want the same thing you want. Since I don't have it I go with the make up, while the face lift is not available.

lesterfoster
07-05-2004, 07:25 PM
To Piolla

It would be nice if NewTEK was to give there users a CHOICE like Macromedia gives there users

Fasty
07-05-2004, 07:40 PM
Actually the new Dreamweaver and Flash do not give you the option to have the old-style view :o

Karmacop
07-05-2004, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by kmscottmoore
Karmacop,

You should have to come over and clean my computer!! I just honked coffee all over the place!!!!!

That's what happens when you read zombie threads, it's not healthy :p

lesterfoster
07-05-2004, 09:55 PM
Yes Dreamweaver lets you go back in time. Sorry for the slow response as I was making supper at the time and I was very hungry..

As I was eating. I looked in to what you were telling me. And YES. Dreamweaver well let you go back in time. I have not used DreamWEAVER for something like a year now and I have forgotten how most of it works.

But this is what I did..

Go to the EDIT menu. Select Preference. Then click on the button CHANGE WORK SPACE.

You well see that you can go back in time and convert Dreamweaver to V4. After that you half to close Dreamweaver and restart it for the changes to take place. Now my Dreamweaver looks and works just like I remember it.

Now that I have my Dreamweaver working like V4. Can anyone tell me how to get it back to the new MX version?

I have forgotten how Flash works because I have not used it for 2 years now. But I think that it can do this as well.

It would be nice if NewTEK would let us users have the CHOICE like Macromedia let's there users have.

I am going to sleep now. And I wish all the DreamWeaver's have happy DreamWEAVing and all the LightWAVEr's have happy LightWAVEing

nerdyguy227
07-06-2004, 08:23 AM
Maby a good feture for LW 9 to have the ability to change the buttens and replace them with GIF, JPEG, or BMP pictures and the same for when they are activated. Of course they NEED a CHOICE to go back in time with the U.I.

dilaima
07-10-2004, 07:58 AM
this is how my current lw[8] looks like.

Fasty
07-10-2004, 08:50 AM
You must be using MX and not MX 2004 version, lesterfoster. The latest version only lets you choose between Designer and Coder layout styles, not the separate pallette style of v4 :(

So that's what NOT to do, Newtek ;)

lesterfoster
07-10-2004, 09:17 AM
Yes Fasty: I am using the MX version I did not know that there was a new MX 2004 version. Do you think that I should upgrade to it? This is something that I am going to half to look into.

As far as Macromedia, From what I under stand. Adobe sued them because Macromedia's interface looked to much like Adobe's interface on there products. That is whay the Macromedia had to make a big change in there programs and the MX name came from.

I was looking at my CorelDRAW-11. And I see that it to lets you change the work space. CorelDRAW lets you change it's interface into Adobe's illustrator. Corel-PHOTO-PAINT, lets you change it's interface into Adobe PhotoSHOP, and Picture Publisher. Corel R.A.V.E. witch is a flash like program. It lets you chance it's interface into Macromedia FLASH.

I know that with LightWAVE 8. Layout, the seeneditor lets you use the new one or the older 7.5 classic seeneditor.

lesterfoster
07-10-2004, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by dilaima
this is how my current lw[8] looks like.

Is this your real interface? or is it a photoshop template?
As I think it looks quite nice.

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=194429

dilaima
07-10-2004, 10:01 AM
thank u lesterfoster:
actually it's my real interface color, not photoshop
her's the hub settings:

ToolButtonColor 150 150 150
ActionButtonColor 130 140 150
DialogButtonColor 120 120 120
DragButtonColor 255 150 90
BackgroundColor 150 150 150