PDA

View Full Version : ¿Why .lwo objects exported for Lightwave no have difuse?

David Star
01-08-2004, 01:37 PM
When I created a .lwo object, it have "diffuse" on 100%, but when I export file, the "diffuse" disappears. ¿What I must do?

mkiii
01-08-2004, 04:02 PM
Export .lwo from where?

Do you mean save as version 5 .lwo file?
Are you just saving the file as normal?

Cmon - throw us a crumb here.

David Star
01-08-2004, 05:15 PM
I export from Modeler 7.0, first created a sphere(for example), with surface editor I apply color to surface. or apply a uv map to some triangles, so, when I export file .lwo 5, no have troubles, but when import same file again in Modeler, disappear all: diffuse, color, or uv map. I don´t know which o where is mistake.
Thanks Much

mkiii
01-08-2004, 05:35 PM
Well I can say for sure that a version 5.0 .lwo exported from Lw 7.5c after changing surface attributes loads back in looking the same as the one I exported.

A couple of points to think about.

Upgrade to LW 7.5c - It's free, so download it now.

Why are you exporting a V5.0 file if you are just going to load it into V7.0 again?

Are Normal save/ load operations working correctly?

Are you *ABSOLUTELY SURE* you are loading the correct file back in again, and not an older version with no surface applied?

David Star
01-08-2004, 07:06 PM
Thanks mkii:
I import again same file-object .lwo for do modification, add more points or triangles, or change shape.
I use "file ...export ...(and I elect) Lightwave 5". All in Modeler 7.0.
With program "3D Browser" I see that objects .lwo exported no have color, surface is all black. On objetcs 3ds exported no have trouble, they have color, the surfaces show texture or color that I applied.
Some people say that old version Lightwave 5.5 was not having this problem, now version 6 or 7 do not export as before the objects in format .lwo.

mkiii
01-08-2004, 07:37 PM
Send me a simple object in 7.0 format & one in exported into 5.x format - both with surfaced edited & I will look at them

Email [email protected]

Viridian
01-08-2004, 07:47 PM
An object exported from 7.0 or 7.5 loses all texture information except for the surface names. In addition, the diffuse is set to zero.

I tend to work in 7.5 since the bells and whistles make building a model easier. However, the game I mod can only handle a LW 5.6 object. Therefore, I only build the model and allocate the surface names in 7.5.

Then I export to 5.6 and apply my textures.

I've heard that exporting to from 7.5 to 3DS then to LW 5.6 will preserve the textures, but I've not tested this yet.

Good luck. If you find a way around it (exporting with UV map information into 5.6), please let me know. It would be quite handy.

David Star
01-09-2004, 01:10 PM
hello mkii and viridian:
Right now I installed Modeler 7.5, you were having reason, now 7.5 allows me export .lwo with uv map, diffuse, etc.
However, 7.5 have another trouble:
"Custom operation failed:Discovery Edition allows only 400 points in any layer", I see when my file object have 20,000 points or 5,000 polygons (say an example). I think that the trouble is now the plugin "Conv3D.p", it is different in size upon previos version.
Lightwave´s inventors yes know of this fault, they should have to compromise, repair it. ¿You know wich is the solution?
I construct objects 3ds or .lwo regularly complex, consequently, the archives are big. In Modeler 7.0, limitation was 56 kb for 3ds(about 60, 000 polygons in object) but in .lwo no limitation was. Now, 7.5 is very, very limitation for 3ds and .lwo.
(Excusse for my english, Im speaker spanish).
Thank you for you attention.

mkiii
01-09-2004, 05:00 PM
I see you say 7.5 - You have installed 7.5b & 7.5c haven't you?

Anyway, it sounds like your dongle isn't being detected. so first steps are to make sure it is properly fitted - which i assume it is, then re-install your sentinal drivers.

I don't remember whether 7.5c comes with these or not. If not get them off your original 7.0 CD

If that fails - make sure your license file is intact (you do have a note of your number - or the registration email don't you?)

This should fix your problem - don't worry. This is pretty common.

BTW Don't start mixing plugins from the different versions unless you absolutely know what you are doing.

mkiii
01-09-2004, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Viridian
An object exported from 7.0 or 7.5 loses all texture information except for the surface names. In addition, the diffuse is set to zero.

That isn't correct. I have not had any problems with exported shapes losing information, and I don't rememnber hearing about anyone else having that problem.

Maybe your upgrade didn't work properly???
Exactly what version are you using?

David Star
01-09-2004, 07:38 PM
I installed Lightwave 7.5C update, I downloaded from web page of Lightwave. With Lightwave 7.0 no have troubles over license, is right, but thus the update does not serve me with that limitation. Maybe Lightwave 8.0 coming best. The sentinal drivers are not troubles, I think. For me, is more suspicious the plugin.
¿With 7.5c you don´t have troubles for export objects of big size?¿You don´t have limitation about?

mkiii
01-09-2004, 07:55 PM
No - I have no problems.

The message you got shows that it is running in demo (or Discovery) mode.

This is due to Lightwave not finding the dongle, so re-install the sentinal drivers (look on your CD). It only takes a minute & will not hurt in any way to do so. Make sure your dongle is seated properly too.

or possibly...

Your license key is the temporary one that you get when you first install Lightwave - I think it is unlikely that this is the case, so try the sentinal drivers first.

You will also probably need to reboot to get them running.

If none of the above works, then the only thing I can suggest is that your dongle is fried & you will have to email Newtek tech support.

Viridian
01-09-2004, 08:41 PM
That isn't correct. I have not had any problems with exported shapes losing information, and I don't rememnber hearing about anyone else having that problem. It isn't that the export is losing information, it's that 5.6 can't handle the information 7.5 places into the file (as I understand it... I'm still a 6-month newbie. So somebody please catch me if I'm wrong. :) ).

5.6 does not allow UV textures... just projected maps. So if you drag a poly about to size it in the UV window in 7.5, and then export to 5.6, the data is unused.

After your post I went through my 5.6 manuals and Lightwave 3D Applied and LW PowerGuide, and Inside LW 3D. Nowhere could I find mention of UV coordinates in version 5.6.

Have I just gotton totally mixed up?

My modding group would kill for a clean conversion from 7.5 (some in the group use 7.0) to 5.6 (the only format the game takes- later versions crash the program).

mkiii
01-10-2004, 06:10 AM
As I understood it, David was re loading the object back into 7.0 - I did ask why.

As for loading into 5.6 - of course you are right about uv mapping not being present *in a form that the user can get at*.

The question was about diffuse settings however.

Are you sure your modding guys are using 5.x objects? It sounds like they are trying to load 7.0 objects & expecting them to work. If you *Export* a 5.0 object from LW 7.x, it is *not* the same file format, and only puts information into the file that the 5.x format expects. IE - no weight maps, morphs, or skelegons.

I just did a test on my old copy of 5.6 from an object exported as v5.0 from LW7.5c and as an extra test, uv mapped it

I can assure you (both) that it works just fine, including texture mapping, UV or otherwise. If you export a UV mapped object from 7.x as a 5.0 mesh, the UV mapping is converted, and seems to be applied correctly as far as it is possible. I don't know what happens if you export an object with really complex polygon mapping - and I don't see any point worrying about it as we verge on the release of LW 8.

DAVID:

[What you should know is that the old modeler did not contain any method to surface an object, other than giving it a colour.

All surfacing in 5.6 was done in Layout. To see the effects of mapping & surfacing you *must* load the object into 5.6 Layout. ]

Just to reinforce the point - 5.6 modeler has no mapping facility, so why would you expect to see effects of mapping when you drag a poly?

Viridian
01-10-2004, 07:52 AM
Yes, I'm quite aware of how to surface in both 5.6 and 7.5. I've been dealing with these conversions for the last six months.

If you *Export* a 5.0 object from LW 7.x, it is *not* the same file format, and only puts information into the file that the 5.x format expects. IE - no weight maps, morphs, or skelegons. Yeah.... this is what I meant by:
It isn't that the export is losing information, it's that 5.6 can't handle the information 7.5 places into the file

The question was about diffuse settings however. No. The original question was expanded to include all losses of model information in an object export from 7.5 to 5.6.

I'm willing to bet that David Star does not own LW 5.6.... only 7.0. I'm also willing to bet that he has to convert to a 5.6 format for some reason (i.e., the game he's modding requires 5.6). So he's building a model in 7.0 and then exporting it to 5.6. When it displays in the game the diffuse is set to 0, and no textures show. Thus he is reloading the exported object back into 7.0 to check what's gone wrong. Am I near the mark David Star? :)

Could you please post a screen shot of the object you translated from 7.5 to 5.6 which converted UV map information to planar projection information?

It's not that I don't believe you offhand. It's just that I'd contacted Newtek Technical Support when I bought my copy of 5.6, seeking a way of doing just this. I'd created several models which I needed to export. When I exported them I had the same results that David Star had. The tech said it was not possible to maintain UV map information in a conversion from 7.x to 5.6... and that I would have to find a workaround.

All surfacing in 5.6 was done in Layout. To see the effects of mapping & surfacing you *must* load the object into 5.6 Layout. Yes, I'm completely aware of that. I use LW 5.6 on a daily basis.

and I don't see any point worrying about it as we verge on the release of LW 8. Wrong. My game only uses LW objects in 5.6 format, as I stated previously. LW 8 arriving will not change that. And I-War and EoC are not the only games people still mod which depend on a LW object 5.6 format.

mkiii
01-10-2004, 10:24 AM
Well I can only comment on how lightwave handles the export of 5.6 objects. And in my experience it works just as expected. Loading the objects into modeler 5.6 works fine, loading them into Layout 5.6 works just fine and, loading them into 7.0 works... you guessed it... just fine.

I think adding 3rd party apps & file importers into the question is just muddying the waters. The question was regarding Lightwave, not game editors, or whether you feel that I'm teaching you to suck eggs or your prowess as a lightwave user.

The comments on using layout rather than modeler were aimed at David. I wil edit my previous post to reflect that.

As for the object. No - I deleted it, and am quite busy modelling at the moment.

FYI It was just a sphere, first of all with automatic UV spherical mapping applied after creation - this converted into normal spherical mapping when loaded into 5.6.

Then I tried an image UV mapped with a simple planar map - this also converted correctly. This was enough to prove to me that sensible UV mapping (considering your target of 5.6) is possible. I'd imagine that a highly distorted & plattened UV map would more than likely produce a mess, since it is likely that it would convert into a simple planar map in 5.6

I neither have the time or inclination to exhaustively test every type of mapping to see if it works, since that is not the current question at hand. If you remember, that is now centred on helping David get his 7.5c update working properly. I'm sure he will furnish us with some examples of mapping once he sorts out his demo-mode problem.

David Star
01-11-2004, 08:39 PM
Hello mkii and viridian:
I thank the kindness that they have given me, your attention and time. You have reason, and now only I finish to say that Lightwave is a supersoftware. But I don´t understand why is very expensive, ¡to much that Windows!. Windows is master, Lightwave is slave, ¿Or not?. And Windows is about in $400.00. Thanks.