PDA

View Full Version : Subaru Legacy 2004 compostion

Lewis
01-08-2004, 12:57 PM
Hi Guys !

Finaly rendered my Subaru Legacy 3.0R 2004 year model.

I'm still rendering some studio shots but i'm pretty happy with this compostion. And yeh background image is als my work :).

Any comments are welcome.

P.S.
If anyone is interested there is 1600*1200 verison on my WEB page (nice for desktop for Subaru fans :)).

P.P.S. WIP of this car is showed on WIP section recently

RhymeSayersMN
01-08-2004, 01:52 PM
So wait...This is a picture of the new car you bought?

:D

si_kick
01-08-2004, 03:36 PM
Hey lewis,

Great work as usual. Stunnning detail especial on the tires and
the dirt splatter behind the tires. And those headlights are simply
amazing Just a few things, the tires look a bit bright to me and I
think that they bring the pictures reality feel down a bit, but other
wise its great. oh and how did u get those sun spot likewhere
the sun hits the car and makes a bright spot? I know u can use
bloom to do similar but it never comes out like the ones u got

Thanks, Si

veljko
01-08-2004, 04:05 PM
What?
Is that supposed to be good?
I mean, Ive seen people post crappy pictures, but this one takes the cake!

Ive modelled better cars while making dinner!

Samo se salim:)
Super auto!
Malo mi izgleda pre ostro s obzirom na digitalnu fotku u pozadini- Mozda je veca rezolucija auta nego slike? u svakom slucaju odlicno, kao i uvijek!

beagle
01-09-2004, 05:49 AM
Truly stunning!

My only crit would be that the tyres are'nt black enough, as Si Kick said.

Just how do you get the surface to resemble car paint so realistically??

Zafar Iqbal
01-09-2004, 06:19 AM
veljko: Let's see some of those cars.

Lewis: The modeling rox - ur the man! But the compositing could be better ;)

Lewis
01-09-2004, 11:23 AM
Thanks guys :)

si_kick - key thing for lens flares is "post production" ;).

BTW tyres acctualy arent too bright they maybe need to be even brighter / more grey :). Go out and look your car tyres on sunny bright day :).

P.S. veljko is just joking guys :). He said that but not on english ;).

Ramon
01-16-2004, 09:04 AM
Hey Lewis!
Glad to see the end result on your WIP. Man that's a beautiful surfacing job!!! Please do tell us the details of the settings for this excellent paint job! I really love the glossiness! And yes, those post production flares really give it that extra something special.
Good going!

RAZ
01-16-2004, 11:56 AM
Fantastic model, way out of my league. My first impression however, was that the car seemed tipped forward, as though the wheels out of sight were on a hill...you need to check the perspective a tad. But thats just minor compared to that super slick work....The car, not the model, is completely pants though and my hat goes off to you for having the fortitude to complete it ;)

guch30
01-16-2004, 12:04 PM
Lewis - Great modelling job. I see you have honed your skills on creating car models. :D

Also the body and windows are damn good! You have done a great job on the paint and windows and from that point, I can't tell the difference between that car and a real one. Great lighting on the body and windows!

The only crits I have are with the small details. For instance, the tires and rims can use a little more work, like si_kick said. Maybe add some more specularity to the rims and chrome in front. The grille looks a little on the flat side. Also, the fog lites can use a little work too.

Lewis
01-16-2004, 04:27 PM

Ramon - surfacing is just "old school" reflections set as graident with incidence angle input :). But key thing is whole dimensions and scale. Car is 99% matched to real dimensions so it fits in background 'coz i know aproximately how big is space around car. Rest is tweakign and testing ;).

Ramon
01-16-2004, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Lewis

Ramon - surfacing is just "old school" reflections set as graident with incidence angle input :). But key thing is whole dimensions and scale. Car is 99% matched to real dimensions so it fits in background 'coz i know aproximately how big is space around car. Rest is tweakign and testing ;).
Nice, very nice. Did you use same type of radiosity solution that you mentioned in the WIP (HDRI perhaps)? Also... so you didn't use soft reflections? I haven't yet used soft reflections.

Lewis, the reason I asked you about the surfacing is that some people talk a lot about using 3 or 4 layers of specularity with varying levels of opacity per layer for car surfaces. I wasn't sure if that's what you did or not. You're the car king here, so I figured, I'd ask you. You're the man!

julos
01-17-2004, 05:22 AM
Amazing quality !!!!!!
I'm especially impressed and respectful because i'm so bad at realism. Well done. :)

headly
01-17-2004, 08:19 AM
Wow, that looks quite real, too real for reality. Nice work

SamuraiSlayer
01-17-2004, 11:45 AM
i think veljko was kinda joking a little bit

what he said was kinda like this:

but only provided :)

great car!

few seemingly before throughout considering for example is resolution than like everybody as like evermore

----------------------

hmmm....

well i think he liked it

fyi, that language he was speaking is croatian

siproductions
01-17-2004, 12:20 PM
The more I look at this image the more I like it. In another forum I raised some questions about the lighting. The reason for this was that as soon as I saw the image I said to myself "CG". I don't know why it looks that way to me. However the more I look at this the closer to real life it seems. It's a great image and really took a lot of work to get it were it is now. Great work. Sometimes the real seems unreal too. :D

SamuraiSlayer
01-17-2004, 12:24 PM
since it's posted in the LW forums, your mind tries to seperate it from realism

think about it like this:

if it was a real car, the pic would be taken by a camera

cameras use film, film can get flared/smudged and the contrast can be off, therefore the photo might be less than realistic looking, but you are used to the pictures looking like that, so you say "realistic"

in lightwave the contrast doesnt get screwed with and it dont get flared, so it turns out that LW renders can be more realistic than film

get what i'm saying?

also, our mind sometimes forgets what really looks real

Juhan
01-18-2004, 06:28 AM
the car itself is good, the model, the textures and so on, but one thing bothers me. the front grill. it's too shiny or too spotless. it's the only spot the doesn't look real.

Lewis
01-18-2004, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Juhan
the car itself is good, the model, the textures and so on, but one thing bothers me. the front grill. it's too shiny or too spotless. it's the only spot the doesn't look real.

He he thanks for input. But you know grill is totaly made of CHROME and you might be wrong about it then :). Look at LW chrome preset - It's 75% reflective and 30% diffuse- Now you can't expect from 75% reflective material not to be shiny and reflective on such bright day ?? Can you ? :).

prospector
01-18-2004, 04:31 PM
Another amazing job Lewis.
Just amazing

It's a shame tho,because after it goes to the mall, you'll have to put some dings around the door handles and such.

:D :D

Ante
01-19-2004, 09:18 AM
Wow.

Lewis hit it again. :)

And now something in croat: "Stari, ovo ti je cak bolje ispalo od Maserati-a (iako ga nebi mjenjao uzivo za taj auto). Koje si osvjetljenje koristio? Jesi vec poceo graditi kucu? Ozenio se vec jesi, ili?"

Greets

Ante

Ramon
01-19-2004, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Ante
Wow.

Lewis hit it again. :)

And now something in croat: "Stari, ovo ti je cak bolje ispalo od Maserati-a (iako ga nebi mjenjao uzivo za taj auto). Koje si osvjetljenje koristio? Jesi vec poceo graditi kucu? Ozenio se vec jesi, ili?"

Greets

Ante
Ok, entiendes este edioma? Dos pueden jugar ese juego.
Muy bueno Lewis!

Ante
01-19-2004, 10:53 AM
Ramon,

no problem I understand you well : )

I had some personal questions to Lewis and was just to lazy to write an email ...

greets

ante

SamuraiSlayer
01-19-2004, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Ante
"Stari, ovo ti je cak bolje ispalo od Maserati-a (iako ga nebi mjenjao uzivo za taj auto). Koje si osvjetljenje koristio? Jesi vec poceo graditi kucu? Ozenio se vec jesi, ili?"

Originally posted by Ramon
Ok, entiendes este edioma? Dos pueden jugar ese juego.
Muy bueno Lewis!

what the HELL did you just say!!!

Lewis
01-19-2004, 12:31 PM

Ante you'll get PM now ;).

SamuraiSlayer - don't worry nothing bad is sayed ;.

SamuraiSlayer
01-19-2004, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Lewis
Ante you'll get PM now ;).

PM... post-menstrual? :p