PDA

View Full Version : Rendering Troubles

marbla
01-08-2004, 12:12 PM
ok, so i'm working on a new scene; well, i did a little test render a while ago, and it worked fine - played just how i wanted it to. well, i've tried to do about 4 more since then, and when i go to open the animation it says that an error has occured, and won't play it. when i go to the file's properties, it says that it's only 4kb. i've tried re-naming it, saving it in different places, and even some computer re-starts. i HAVE to get this animation done by tommorow (friday CST).

any suggestions?

mkiii
01-08-2004, 04:09 PM
Your error in the file could be due to any number of things. Without knowing exactly what you are doing it's hard to say.

You have rendered out to single frames haven't you???
Say you have!!

If so - it should be no problem loading in the sequence & re-rendering any number of times until you discover what is wrong.

You don't really say whether the file you are talking about is the scene file or the mov / avi file. If avi - then obviously it is broken & no amount of hand-wringing is going to make it better.

If your problem is the object file(s) or the scene file, then you can might be in luck if you look in the lwhub/temp directory in your local settings folder.

marbla
01-08-2004, 09:00 PM
well, it's the avi that's giving me problems; i should have clarified that.

this has been a problem off-and-on for quite some time now.

i've heard it could be due to network issues, but i'm not sending the avi out over the network.

dablan
01-09-2004, 08:54 AM
NEVER rely on saving AVI's or QT's. While it's rare that they'll screw up, from simple things like a power surge or software glitch, it's always a safe bet to render frames. I usually render both TGA 24bit images as a sequence, and an AVI or QT with the approriate codec (such as AVID).

The TGA's are a great high-quality backup that I can import into anything, like Quicktime, VT3, Aura, etc. Then, export out any file type I need.

marbla
01-09-2004, 10:06 AM
thanks dan (assuming that you're dan ablan); i'll try that.

dablan
01-09-2004, 10:42 AM
Well, who else would I be?

:)