PDA

View Full Version : Future of Lightwave...

marc_123
01-08-2004, 08:51 AM
Hi folks,

Have just received this article from Digit magazine...

"NewTek announced on Tuesday that the roadmap for the company's LightWave 3D application will transition from Carbon to Mac OS X native and its development environment will migrate to Apple's Xcode.

The company says that such moves will optimize LightWave's performance for both Mac OS X and the new PowerPC G5 processors and will pave the way for new features and enhancements planned for LightWave 3D version 8.0. "

Am I to understand that further versions of Lightwave will only be available on Mac? We purchased 7.5 a few months back for Windows with a deal that stated we'd get a free upgrade to version 8 before Christmas (we've had no word of V8 so far). Does this mean we aren't going to get V8 and that the program will soon be obsolete for our Windows platform?

Thanks in advance,

Marc

Aegis
01-08-2004, 09:04 AM
Am I to understand that further versions of Lightwave will only be available on Mac?

Umm, no. The announcement was made at MacWorld and relates only to the OSX version - LightWave for the PC will continue to be developed much as it has been I guess - The next significant milestone in LightWave PC's future will be 64-bit support as and when there's a platform to run it on. It's also doubtful that this press-release relates to LightWave 8 - more likely 8.5 or even more likely 9+