PDA

View Full Version : pond liner

byronpetch
01-08-2004, 02:20 AM
Hi,

Im trying to create an irregular shaped garden pond. Because im creating a cross section view I need to give the pond liner a thickness.

The problem is I cant work out how to do this. Ive created the shape of the pond liner but of course its just a single poly thick. Any suggestions?

Thanks

MP

WCameron
01-08-2004, 02:41 AM
1. select all polygons and copy them to a new layer (Not realy necesary but it makes it easier to see).
2. Flip all those polygons. (f)
3. Reselect All Polygons and Smooth Shift with a single mouse click. (Shift + f). - Creates new Geometry ontop of the old geometry.
4. Resize the new selected faces slightly, say 106% in all planes or something. Since the only polygons now selected are the newly created ones, from here the moved geometry will have edges that will line up
with the original geometry on the first layer. (thats the h key to resize by hand)
5. Cut all the polygons and repaste into the original layer.
6. Merge Points.

or use the Thickner plugin from here:

http://www.dstorm.co.jp/dslib/index-e.html

:-)

- Will.

byronpetch
01-08-2004, 02:47 AM
Many thanks for that.

MP

pauland
01-08-2004, 04:23 AM
I would just select the liner, smooth shift, then move up vertically and scale on the X&Y axis.

Paul

Matt
01-08-2004, 05:27 AM
a _proper_ offset tool that works on both 2D profiles (poly lines / splines etc) and 3D meshes (incl. subd surfaces) that is also symmetry aware would be cool.

oh and it would have to work using dimensions (mm, cm, inches etc) too!

WCameron
01-08-2004, 11:26 AM
yeah you could just smooth shift it upward, but you'd still have to copy and flip the base polygons to make it "whole" otherwise it would have no bottom.

the way i outlined it is just the way i do it myself when i have to do similar things :-)

- Will.