PDA

View Full Version : How to use a Null to control the speed of the animation (expressions)??

ruud
01-08-2004, 12:04 AM
Hi, does anybody has an idea how to control the speed of objects using expressions and a null? Let's say, when the Null is on 0m on the Y axis the animation stands still. And when you move the Null up to 1m. in the Y axis, the objects start to move to their original speed.

This way I could slow a machine down and kickstart it again :)

So, does anybody has idea's???

Greetz and thanks in advance!

ps: Lightwave 8 video's kick ***!!! Makes me wanna buy an upgrade AGAIN! :)

Greetz!

Axis3d
01-08-2004, 06:18 PM
Cyclist does exactly that. If you have a machine object with a few moving parts, then you need to open the Motions Panel for each object and add the Cyclist plugin that comes with Lightwave. First, you would add a null object to your scene, which will be the controller. Then, in the Cyclist panel for each moving object you would tell it to use the null as the Cycle Controller, then select whichever channel of the null you want to control it ( Position X, for example). After each of the keyframed objects is set up, then all you need to do is animate the null object along the X axis and your machine with all its moving parts will be controlled. You can even animate the null on the X moving in the opposite direction and the machine will animate backwards.

Another way would be to use MotionMixer in Lightwave. I won't explain the setup and use of that, it is in the Lightwave manual and is a little more involved but can give you similar control.

ruud
01-09-2004, 12:06 AM
thanks, I got it, and I viewed the instructions in the manual, there's a short tutorial in it, so, sometimes all you need is... 'keywords' :)

Thanks again and see ya!

Greetz!!