PDA

View Full Version : Color Pickin' Confusion

Ma3rk
01-08-2020, 06:51 PM
In the process of translating textures from Daz assets to Lightwave, I've had pretty good luck, but still have one aspect that's confusing.

If there's an RGB color value other than pure black or white set for a Diffuse channel in DAZ, the numeric value comes across to LW but the result doesn't match visually. It's generally much lighter.

In other words, in Daz, the value might be 110, 94, 102 and those same numbers come into LW but the result is visually wrong.

Since just entering numeric values is pointless & being on a single monitor, I have to use a convoluted arrangement of reduced & shuffled windows so I can use LW's Color Picker to select the values from DAZ UI or even a captured screen (Gee, I wish it was a separate product again...). I also have to set LW's texture Transfer mode to use Photoshop Multiple, but when I sample Daz's UI panel with LW's Sample from Screen function, then the result looks visually correct. Again, the indicated RGB Values are radically different in both Programs, but visually the colors match.

I brought captures from both into Affinity Photo & it's Eyedropper agreed with the Daz values.

I'm not seeing any sort of correlation. Perhaps some odd translation thing between IRay & PBR although these aren't full IRay textures in that they're usually just a single diffusion map & maybe an alpha.

I tried different settings such as Floating with the picker & General Prefs, but no help. I suppose Ken Nign could explain what's going on, but in the mean time any thoughts why the colors match but the supposed RGB values don't?

Shloime
01-09-2020, 08:13 AM
First thing which comes to mind is "Color spaces". Are you aware of those settings? If not, look in the prefs tab for "CS" settings, but if you are, we need another idea.

Ma3rk
01-09-2020, 09:34 AM
Actually, I did some tests with that last night & it is related. Still doesn't give me a predictable technique. I use the sRGB preset normally but I'm going to test to see if toggling the Picked Colors option allows me to sample in one CS then switch back.

Ma3rk
01-09-2020, 12:19 PM
Woo Hoo! Easier than I thought.

I can make screen capts in Daz, then in LW simply sample those colors from those images w/o having to toggle anything. Or having another memory hungry app running.

I don't know if that means the color picker is or isn't switching color space when I switch out to Daz, but it's just fine working from an image.

Bottom line is it's a simple & quick technique

gerry_g
01-09-2020, 05:07 PM
In the colour picker to the right of Hue, Sat, Value you will see Kelvin, Wave and lastly Web, Web is a Hexadecimal number, in Photoshop's colour picker you will see the same (its the six digit number string starting with a hash symbol), haven't opened Daz in eons but I bet it has one, the great thing is you can copy and paste them from one program to another, it may look slightly different in each program but technically it is totally accurate

Ma3rk
01-09-2020, 07:14 PM
I'll give that a look.

Problem currently is limited resources with the laptop so making screen captures & then putting them into a little utility called PureRef works quite well.