PDA

View Full Version : how many programmers work at Newtek?

Steve McRae
01-07-2004, 07:26 PM
anyone know?

Hervé
01-08-2004, 05:21 AM
for sure not that many, but at the end what counts is the quality of the programers, no?

if we take a scale, and we say alias is 100 %, how much is NT ? does anyone knows...? just a question, nohing bad , nothing harmful, please remove my post if you dont like it Chuck....

jr_sunshine
01-08-2004, 06:37 AM
I would agree that quality does count, but the single most important factor to a successful software project is quality planning and project management.

I will take 10 average developers over 1 superior developer any day as long as the planning and project management is top notch. Every team still needs at least one superior developer who can do the architecting, but for the grind it out work more is better as long as it is managed well.

The hard truth is most software development projects are not managed well and ultimately fall short at best or just simply fail.

eacide
01-08-2004, 08:01 AM
I am not sure but I think read proton on CGTalk mentioning that part of the OpenGL work was done in Germany. The guys who developped ortho and implemented them in [8] have purpose-built new features.

It means that there are parts which are subcontracted. That is a good new IMO insofar as it means that NT relies on a broader span of knowledge and skills.

Go on NT

Elmar Moelzer
01-08-2004, 09:25 AM
proton on CGTalk mentioning that part of the OpenGL work was done in Germany

Its Austria, not Germany...
CU
Elmar

eacide
01-08-2004, 09:44 AM
lol it's you who did it ? :D

Yog
01-08-2004, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by eacide
I am not sure but I think read proton on CGTalk mentioning that part of the OpenGL work was done in Germany. The guys who developped ortho and implemented them in [8] have purpose-built new features.

It means that there are parts which are subcontracted. That is a good new IMO insofar as it means that NT relies on a broader span of knowledge and skills.

Go on NT

The trouble with subcontracting out sections of your program and relying heavily on buying in 3rd party plug-ins is that your companies knowledge base is sevely diluted.
Sure you can reverse engineer others work, but it is never as intuitive as when you have produced it yourself, this leads to a much longer wait for bug fixes.

eacide
01-08-2004, 11:34 AM
It depends on the terms of the contract with the subcontractors. Moreover, you can impose a QA chart to programme élaboration. I used to work for Aerospatiale in the past and I have developped calculational codes for Ariane IV. For one line of code we had 20 lines of explanations / comments etc. That was the QA rule in force there.

I assume NT is doing the same.

Yog
01-08-2004, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by eacide
It depends on the terms of the contract with the subcontractors. Moreover, you can impose a QA chart to programme élaboration. I used to work for Aerospatiale in the past and I have developped calculational codes for Ariane IV. For one line of code we had 20 lines of explanations / comments etc. That was the QA rule in force there.

I assume NT is doing the same.

Documentation can help, but it's not the same as when you or one of your full time employees has had to solve the initial problem and now has a model in their head as to what the different variables are.

My only experience has been writing lisp routines for CAD programs (quite simple), and I know that if I have to go back and alter one of my previous scripts I can do so without too much problem. If however I have to alter someone else's script, the first thing I have to do is go back and read all their embeded comments, then work through their calculations, just to get myself into a position where I can even think of how I'm going to start.

It can be done, but it is so much easier if you or your own people put it together in the first place.
Say right before release, somebody at Newtek decides to tweek David's Power Tools, just to make it a tad better at a certain task. What they don't realise is that David didn't go this way because it created problems elsewhere. The software is released, the problem is noticed, when's the patch. Well the patch is whenever somebody can find the time to sit down and work out where the problem is and then fix it. It takes a lot more time than if the original coder had done it.

BTW - cool job you had there :cool:

eacide
01-08-2004, 02:45 PM
not a cool job, a nightmare. I quitted after 6 months, I needed things much more concrete. One of my task was to upgrade a routine that calculates the gas pressure in the third stage of the rocket. I had to understand a routine formerly programmed on cardboards... No remarks, All the vars had only one letter... It was quite tedious.

Beamtracer
01-08-2004, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Elmar Moelzer
Its Austria, not Germany...
CU
Elmar Hmmm. I think I've heard of Austria. Isn't that the country that has all those kangaroos jumping around the place??? ;)

riki
01-08-2004, 07:09 PM
Actually last time I saw a kamgaroo was in Berlin

Elmar Moelzer
01-08-2004, 10:55 PM
Hmmm. I think I've heard of Austria. Isn't that the country that has all those kangaroos jumping around the place???

LOL, that was a good one.
But you will laugh, people do indeed mix them up...
CU
Elmar

Hervé
01-08-2004, 11:34 PM
We need a Mozart of 3D for LW...... inventive, creative...... a genius...

pixelinfected
01-13-2004, 04:43 PM
the quality of developers is important, i remember a good friends which is the only developer of a good software, which now is develop from 4 four people be cause he change work.

p.s he start to be a pixar genious, not change it's dev work....

from that experience, i learn that only the quality of developer is important, not the quantity, and often less developer can be mean a better control on code, than a lots of developers...

Nemoid
01-14-2004, 04:44 AM
here some infos about Nt programmers:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=1076382#post1076382

:D

JeF
01-14-2004, 05:06 AM
Originally posted by Elmar Moelzer
LOL, that was a good one.
But you will laugh, people do indeed mix them up...
CU
Elmar

Ehehe, in french language it's sound really like an ostrich (same goes with german) :)

Lovely country.

JeF
01-14-2004, 05:11 AM
Originally posted by Nemoid
here some infos about Nt programmers:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=1076382#post1076382

:D
I really like the screenshot posted by Elmar. Tells a lot.
So Proton is part of the engineering team? I'm impressed...