PDA

View Full Version : Maxon merges with Red Giant

TheLexx
12-18-2019, 03:36 PM
Never saw that coming. I wonder if 4D licensing changes yet again (for the better).

https://www.redsharknews.com/post/item/6865-red-giant-and-maxon-are-merging

wesleycorgi
12-18-2019, 06:26 PM
That is very interesting. I've always like Red Giant products for my vid/AE work.

RPSchmidt
12-19-2019, 10:43 AM
That is very interesting. I've always like Red Giant products for my vid/AE work.

I use Red Giant regularly, but I was very put off by their new "Red Giant Complete" offering.

If it was a monthly, rather than yearly subscription, and the pricing was more realistic, say in the $25-$30 range, it would be very enticing.

As it is now, at $600 a year, it equals out to $50 a month... the same cost as a monthly subscription to Adobe CC.

None of the Red Giant software is stand-alone; they are all plugins for Adobe, and useless without it.

So what is the rationale for charging the same price as the software that your own product is useless without?

Ma3rk
12-19-2019, 01:29 PM
I use Red Giant regularly, but I was very put off by their new "Red Giant Complete" offering.

If it was a monthly, rather than yearly subscription, and the pricing was more realistic, say in the $25-$30 range, it would be very enticing.

As it is now, at $600 a year, it equals out to $50 a month... the same cost as a monthly subscription to Adobe CC.

None of the Red Giant software is stand-alone; they are all plugins for Adobe, and useless without it.

So what is the rationale for charging the same price as the software that your own product is useless without?

Never realized they went down that path. I used to use them a lot. But still being content with the CS6 line, none of the Red Giant products are compatible any more. For my erratic spurts of use, that works just fine considering I've an entire suite.

wesleycorgi
12-19-2019, 02:12 PM

Maybe because they have always offered incredible yearly sales and deep discount upgrades, I never felt that their bundles were over priced. While Adobe has been a monthly subscription for some time, I've "owned" my Red Giant licenses for years and have moved easily between different computers (Macs and PCs). But to your point, I guess I have now paid more for my plug-in than the Adobe product!

What I also like about Red Giant, they develop tons of free content on how to apply their software to all the latest VFX trends.

TheLexx
12-19-2019, 03:06 PM
...I've "owned" my Red Giant licenses for years and have moved easily between different computers (Macs and PCs).
Could I please ask how ? I've never fully understood their permanent licensing. Is it online server activate/deactivate ? :)

gdkeast
12-23-2019, 01:55 AM
I have the Red Giant Shooter Suite and as far as I know, they handle it a lot like Da Vinci Resolve. You don't have to de-activate anything and can just transfer from system to system. When you go to download, they give you the option to download either Mac or PC versions. I never ended up using it as much as I thought I would, but do use Plural Eyes quite a bit still. I've probably downloaded ten times over the years with no problems as I've moved between different machines.

RPSchmidt
12-23-2019, 07:20 AM
Maybe because they have always offered incredible yearly sales and deep discount upgrades, I never felt that their bundles were over priced. While Adobe has been a monthly subscription for some time, I've "owned" my Red Giant licenses for years and have moved easily between different computers (Macs and PCs). But to your point, I guess I have now paid more for my plug-in than the Adobe product!

What I also like about Red Giant, they develop tons of free content on how to apply their software to all the latest VFX trends.

They still do offer perpetual licensing for their products, which is good; and in the past, I always thought they were reasonably priced for the utility of the plugins... but recently they seem to have gotten a little bit pricier.

I really loved their recent VFX Suite... but not enough to spend $1000 on it. And although they had a killer sale this month and it dropped the price by 50%, it's Christmas... if I'm going to spend $500 on something, I have many other family members in line before purchasing a $500 plugin.

I would have no problem getting Red Giant Complete if it were a monthly subscription, but I can't personally validate a price point that is the same cost as the entire Adobe Creative Cloud.

Red Giant's plugin software has always been at the prosumer level (indie to small studio); it's powerful enough to use on commercial products but not quite powerful enough to use extensively on features. Larger studios will be more likely to stick with Houdini and Nuke because they generate the revenue to maintain those licenses.

I just feel like Red Giant has almost priced themselves out of their target market.