PDA

View Full Version : Suggested bokks for Lightwave.

Fistandantilus
01-07-2004, 06:20 PM
I'm still currently reading "Inside Lightwave 7" by Dan Ablan,had to take a break due to Xmas and all.I also just started to read "Lightwave 3D 7.5 Lighting" by Nicholas Boughen,wow what an amazing book on lighting.Wondering if there are any other good books out there like these to.Anyone reccomend any other books?Thanks.

koots
01-09-2004, 12:23 PM
books are a waste of $$ go with the website www.simplylightwave.com the best tuts around. all seven books i have bought are sitting on my shelf. your best bet is to find video tutorials!!! they are so much better!!!
good luck
-jonn

Fistandantilus
01-09-2004, 06:57 PM
I'm not too sure "Inside Lightwave 7" has by far taught me alot.Before I bought it I was scared to even open up Lightwave.Tutorials just confused me as I didn't really know the layout of Lightwave at all.Dan's book takes you step by step and teaches you quite a bit.The other one is so amazing.It teaches you so much about lighting that I have yet to find tutorials teach.

Fistandantilus
01-09-2004, 07:01 PM
These 2 books could be the exception though and could possibly be the only 2 good ones out their.I'm also sure when Leigh Van Der Byls book comes out that will be another must have.
I just wanted to know if anyone else has found any other books that were useful to them?

art
01-12-2004, 07:10 AM
Inside LW and Lighting are probably the two major books to get at this moment... and there is "Character animation" by Tim Albee and Tom Roth. It is also an excellent book for character animators, but with the upcoming lw8 and new character tools a lot of info in that book will be kind of obsolete. It still contains some good stuff, that might be useful even for lw8 users, but in your case I would probably wait. Wordware is preparing lots of new lw titles. I would probably wait for those (I am waiting actually :) )
Essential Lightwave by Tim Albee is also a good one, but it is mostly for people starting with LW (like myself)
And I agree with you Fistandantilus, although you can get most of the information from online tutorials here and there, there is nothing like a good book in front of you.

Art

meshmaster
01-12-2004, 11:05 AM
Manual...

Using the manual and Inside LW gets me through most of the time! :) Use Inside LW for the English interpretation, and the manual for the Geeky Tech interpretation of the same thing.

Fistandantilus
01-13-2004, 12:20 AM
Thanks to everyone who responded.Nicholas Boughan is a fellow Canadian who doesn't live to far away.LOL.He seems to be one real cool guy,as I emailed him.He responded pretty quickly as well,2 hours.He sure has encouraged me to keep up with teaching myslef as he is also self-taught.Gave me some very encouraging words.:D