PDA

View Full Version : Recording render settings on render tests

raymondtrace
12-10-2019, 04:31 PM
Is there an ideal method to notate the render settings (samples, denoise settings, etc) when creating test renders?

I may do a dozen test renders saved to files...using a scratch text document (or scrap of paper) to note settings, render time, and the saved filename.

Is there a plugin/script that can help to automate this? Could these render settings be watermarked as text on the final render buffer? Could they be saved as a text/xml file that gets saved beside the test render image file, with a matching filename?

Andy Webb
12-11-2019, 10:30 AM
That would be very useful indeed :thumbsup:

MonroePoteet
12-11-2019, 05:15 PM
Since LW already adds "Maker Note" metadata to the rendered files, you could make up a list of all the render settings you'd find useful and submit an Enhancement Request to allow for an optional "Extended Output File Metadata" (or some such) to include all the desired render settings. Ideally LW would allow you to pick-and-choose the various render settings to include in the Maker Note.

You can view the current LW-written metadata in the Image Editor (F6):

mTp

CaptainMarlowe
12-11-2019, 11:18 PM
If you have OD_tools, you can save your settings as presets in the OD_SceneQuickSetup function.

raymondtrace
12-12-2019, 08:22 AM
I'll still submit a feature request for the expanded metadata but there's a good workaround with OD Tools. I had not considered Quick Scene Setup on existing scenes.

So with OD Tools, I set my samples, saving a Quick Scene Setup profile with each render test. Then in the render preview window, I click the "metadata" button and enter the Quick Scene Setup profile name as the "user comment".

When I pick my favorite render test image, I just find the Quick Scene Setup profile name in the metadata.

Axis3d
12-12-2019, 02:48 PM
Is there an ideal method to notate the render settings (samples, denoise settings, etc) when creating test renders?

I may do a dozen test renders saved to files...using a scratch text document (or scrap of paper) to note settings, render time, and the saved filename.

Is there a plugin/script that can help to automate this? Could these render settings be watermarked as text on the final render buffer? Could they be saved as a text/xml file that gets saved beside the test render image file, with a matching filename?

Under Render Properties tab, at the top, is a Render Preset dropdown. You can select "Save to Preset Shelf" and build up a library of presets for rendering. It saves the settings that you create from the Render tab and/or the Global Illumination tab.

raymondtrace
12-12-2019, 04:13 PM
Thanks. That's another good option.

There are so many other settings that are not covered fully in OD Tools Quick Scene Setup or as a native Render Properties preset (ie. samples for individual lights and cameras) that I'll probably still be using a scratchpad. But these two tools mean a lot fewer notes/scribbles.