PDA

View Full Version : Linux and Lightwave?

jin'a
01-07-2004, 02:01 PM
This is more of a technical question about the program rather than things to do inside the program!...

Anyway, does lightwave run on linux? Are there any patches?

thankyou

Dave Davies
01-07-2004, 02:21 PM
No, please! Let the programmers concentrate on features rather than use their time up on yet another operating system!

Linux may be more popular in the future, and that would be the time to port over. But for now, it's only used by a small percentage of the graphics/video community, and any time spent and supporting Linux is time away from improving the product.

I'd much rather have the the programs themselves worked on, than have development slowed for the sake of being more multi-platform.

Dave Davies

DigiMatt
01-08-2004, 01:42 AM
Ofcourse, people who uses a platform were LightWave is allready available would rather see that the programmers dont spend time on porting it to other platforms, while people using other platforms is vice verca..

I for one wouldnt mind seeing a Linux edition of LightWave in the near future..

besides, would it really be the same people who works on new features that would be responsible for a porting..

jin'a
01-08-2004, 12:38 PM
okay, you don't have to bite my head off!

I take it that the answer is no

Dave Davies
01-08-2004, 01:12 PM
Heh, didn't mean to bite your head off, jin'a. Just expressing an opinion, is all!

Dave

akota
01-09-2004, 03:48 PM
Hi Dave,

I am another who would love to see LW run natively on Linux. At least a stable working render node. I've tried the current Linux LWSN and it's been causing me grief, limited output support, no tech support, etc. You may not be using distributed rendering, but for those of us who are it saves a ton of money in licenses to use a freely available Linux distro, compared to shelling out $$$ for Windows licenses. I only have 10 nodes in my farm at this point, but if I could get back the money I've spent on W2K I could build more nodes! For the cost of 2 W2K licenses I could build one extra node!

Jason

Antonio2
01-18-2004, 06:06 AM
count me in

LSlugger
01-18-2004, 07:57 PM
I won't lobby too hard for a full port, but I would like to see the renderer get some more attention.

Antonio2
01-19-2004, 08:12 AM
Agree, some more tech support would be highly appreciated.

For example i managed to get it work, but i still dont know what are all those plugins doing in the RPM package.I heard something about rebuilding LWEXT3 in linux , anybody ?

regards

Dave Davies
01-20-2004, 04:05 PM
Ah, good point, akota. I am doing distributed rendering, buit they all need to run Windows anyway, for other purposes, so I hadn't considered the savings of using Linux stations as nodes. If I was to use more units for rendering alone, then that's a strong argument.

When I spoke against yet another OS, I just meant that I remembered the port to MACs, when new development stopped for quite some time. They're back on track now, but at the time, I was anxious for more of what we have now.

Dave