PDA

View Full Version : FX linker

Bushmsn
01-07-2004, 12:29 PM
When I use the FX linker to rotate the objects They just turn to one setting and they stay there. I have random rotate on but it only turns as far as the settings I set in the min/max rotate fields.
I want them to spin.

Axis3d
01-08-2004, 06:28 PM
Before you apply FXLinker to your objects, you can keyframe the object to spin. For instance, you can keyframe the Pitch to rotate a full 360 in 30 frames, then set the Post Behavior for that channel to Repeat. Then, apply FXLinker in the Motions Panel. Open up the FXLinker panel and set the Time Shift to Start Shift. If you have 50 particles all launching at different times, then the start of the keyframed rotation will be shifted to when the particle is born, so your objects will be spinning at different times from one another.

Bushmsn
01-09-2004, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the info why is there a rotate in the fx linker.

Axis3d
01-10-2004, 03:35 PM
The Rotate setting in the FX Linker panel only offsets the objects' rotations for their start positions. Random Rotate creates, you guessed it, random start positions. It doesn't create rotations over time. Hopefully, Newtek will fix this in the next version of Lightwave.

HowardM
01-10-2004, 05:04 PM
You can have them spin by selecting Random or Align to path for Rotation in the upper left corner.
BUT there is no real control, so for instance when I animated THIS (http://www.3DInk.com/popcornHD.mov) , I couldnt stop their spinning once they hit the floor and had to fake it...and youll notice they dont align so smoothly, some jump.
which is ok in our world of faking it to begin with, but it would be nice to have better control.
I hope things like this are better in 8.

AaronKent
12-03-2004, 11:10 AM
Ah we are all in the same boat. I feel everyone's pain. My question, and or request about particle linker is this. I'm currently trying to animate a tornado of objects. My system is allowing me about 300 objects tops before FX_Linker Crashes Lightwave. My entire animation requires roughly 1000 particles flying about. It would be nice if there was a way to tell Fx_Linker to attach movement to specific particles. That way I could break the scene into passes without having to use multiple emitter and particle animations.

example:
particle 0-300
" " 301-600
" " 601-900
" " 901-1000
etc

As it stands I like the animation of my emitter for the scenes duration, but there seem to be a way to get Fx_Linker to do it. Cheers.

AK

Axis3d
12-03-2004, 05:35 PM
AK,

You could make 4 emitters with 250 particles in each. They would all have the same rotation settings and would combine to form your tornado group of 1000 particles. This way, you can render them in 4 passes like you suggested. FX Linker would be divided into 4 emitter groups.

AaronKent
12-03-2004, 09:44 PM
Thanks Axis. I still think I'm going to run into problems. Probably because I'm fairly new to the particles. It seems that if I have a vortex going there isn't a way to assign the geometry to the particles that happen later in the simulation. So I can always get the animation going and the spout starts to form, but after 300 particles I run out of geometry. If I try to adjust the start frame of the scene, or adjust the parameters of the render duration then particle effects just starts the formation of the spout from whatever the new start frame is. Maybe I can do it like you suggest, but I don't know if I can get the emitters to smoothly perform each section of the animation. It also seems (and I am a particle newbie) that I can't get a simulation to begin "in media res" A vortex grows at a rate. I can up the rate, but it still has evolve. I haven't found any timeline options in the particle effects panel.

AK

HowardM
12-04-2004, 03:25 PM
Thanks Axis. I still think I'm going to run into problems. Probably because I'm fairly new to the particles. It seems that if I have a vortex going there isn't a way to assign the geometry to the particles that happen later in the simulation. So I can always get the animation going and the spout starts to form, but after 300 particles I run out of geometry. If I try to adjust the start frame of the scene, or adjust the parameters of the render duration then particle effects just starts the formation of the spout from whatever the new start frame is. Maybe I can do it like you suggest, but I don't know if I can get the emitters to smoothly perform each section of the animation. It also seems (and I am a particle newbie) that I can't get a simulation to begin "in media res" A vortex grows at a rate. I can up the rate, but it still has evolve. I haven't found any timeline options in the particle effects panel.

AK

Ok, calculate your particles then save them out to a .pfx file, so you dont have to keep re calculating and now you have a defined time they start (you can adjust this in the playback options).... then to make the vortex grow (not exactly sure how your animating this, with wind?) use an envelope on your settings...

btw you can control what object is linked to what particle in the motion props panel, open up the FXlink tab and notice the Node (the particle #) .... you can manually assign a certain object to a specific particle!
also, you can clone an object that is already FXlinked to a particle, and lets say the original object is linked to particle 20, the clones will be linked to 21,22,23,etc...so in a way if you wanted to 'skip' linking objects to the beginning particles you can this way!
:D

AaronKent
12-04-2004, 07:11 PM
Thanks Howard. I think this is gonna get me through the Television spot. Cheers!

AK