PDA

View Full Version : Screamernet

theturtle32
03-08-2003, 11:41 PM
Hi. I regularly use Lightwave 3d 7.5 on my PC, but I have access to eight Dual Processor Power Mac G4 computers running OS X that I could use as a render farm. I want to continue to use my PC for design, but would like to render out to the MAC computers. Do any of you know of a way that I can do this? It is not practical for me to design on the macs, because they're in a different physical location from where I do my work (but still connected to the same network).

Thank you for your help.

Brian

Epita
03-09-2003, 11:59 AM
I guess installing lw on them so that you can run screamer net would be a start dont know about cross system rendering, should work if screamer net works!

Epita

theturtle32
03-09-2003, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Epita
I guess installing lw on them so that you can run screamer net would be a start dont know about cross system rendering, should work if screamer net works!

Epita

Well, that's well and good except that I don't have the mac version of lightwave, and I don't particularly want to buy it just to get the LWSN client. I am a student and don't really have any money, and am looking for an alternate way of obtaining the screamernet client part of the Mac OS X distribution of lightwave.

Any ideas?

Brian

fletch
03-10-2003, 04:19 AM
Hi theturtle32,

The beauty of 7.5 is that it is a dual format version. you can use the same installation disc to install on a mac. Screamernet does not require you to install LW on all the machines just Screamer net.

theturtle32
03-10-2003, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by fletch
Hi theturtle32,

The beauty of 7.5 is that it is a dual format version. you can use the same installation disc to install on a mac. Screamernet does not require you to install LW on all the machines just Screamer net.

Unfortunately, I do not have the 7.5 disc. I have 7.0 upgraded to 7.5. It's a PC only disc. Any ideas? Would Newtek perhaps send me a copy of the Mac lightwave anyway?

Brian

Bionic Antboy
03-10-2003, 10:33 AM
theturte32

I'm not sure if it's possible, but could you get it by installing the Mac 7.5b update (of course using Layout and Modeler will be in demo mode), but LWSN is in there, isn't it?

I'm kind of curious about this as well, as I'm thinking of adding our dual G4 to our in house renderfarm, but right now, everything runs using Lightnet and Windows Networking (mapped drives), and I'm not sure how this would work cross platform (change to machine names?)

trentonia
03-11-2003, 09:35 AM
Macs and PCs on the same network generally cannot see each other. As I recall, what you have to do is create a "Mac Volume" on your PC server's hard drive. Then, map all of your computers to that mac volume. This way, the PCs and the Macs can both see the Mac Volume. Or you could just forget about all of this and go to http://www.respower.com and let them render all of your animations in nothing flat squared by the speed of light.

Elmar Moelzer
03-11-2003, 10:54 AM
Hello Brian
There is an offer from Newtek to update the regular 7.5 to LW 7.5 Dual.
I dont know the US- price but the price in the list at NT- Europe says 99 US$ including shiping and Dongle- exchange for a USB- Dongle (this one is much better than the old PP- one).
CU
Elmar

wapangy
03-11-2003, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by trentonia
Macs and PCs on the same network generally cannot see each other. As I recall, what you have to do is create a "Mac Volume" on your PC server's hard drive. Then, map all of your computers to that mac volume. This way, the PCs and the Macs can both see the Mac Volume. Or you could just forget about all of this and go to http://www.respower.com and let them render all of your animations in nothing flat squared by the speed of light.

If the macs are using Mac OS X 10.2 or higher, then they will work on a windows net work just fine. 10.2 supports samba.

whatawho
10-22-2005, 11:16 AM
Is there any way I can set up screamer.net on my MAC OS X 10.3 so it can use my AMD on my Windows XP computer. If so I need details please because I know nothing about programming or networking.

gjjackson
10-22-2005, 12:09 PM
Is there any way I can set up screamer.net on my MAC OS X 10.3 so it can use my AMD on my Windows XP computer. If so I need details please because I know nothing about programming or networking.
There's a MAC forum here and I'd suggest going there. You may get a better response. Just a thought.